• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

I decided to get a bigger ATV so I've been watching ATV Trader & Craigslist for a nice Polaris Sportsman. Well, either the used ATV's are holding their value pretty well or people just want top dollar for their junk! Stopped by the Polaris dealership today after work just to see what the price of a new Sportsman was and I couldn't have asked for better treatment... One of the owners & I started talking about hunting, then I said the magic words: "coyote hunting". He went in his office and came back out with a big picture album with dozens of coyotes that he's killed, plus an Oregon BLM map so he could suggest some good hunting spots, and he even let me in on a couple tips & tricks of his. He was a super nice guy to say the least. When I asked how long it would take to order a fuel injected Sportsman 500 in dark green, he said "we have 3 in stock, plus a demo bike, wanna ride it?", so I took the demo out for a spin behind their shop. Then we went back inside and he made me a heck of a price on the bike (knocked $1350 off of MSRP) plus he knocked $100 off the winch! Did the paperwork right there, loaded it up, and brought it home. I rolled it off the truck and couldn't resist getting the tires a little dirty before I snapped some pics... After the 25 hour break-in it will be going back to the dealer for the initial service, get the winch installed (they were out of stock & he had to order one, said they installed 9 winches just last week due to deer & elk season), and have a relay installed to run with both the high & low beams on at the same time. I already ordered some Mad Dog double gun racks & am shopping for a rear seat/storage bag to go on the rear rack.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

:roflmao3[1]:

#3 204destroyer

204destroyer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

I have the Sportsman 500 without the fuel injection, its an 05 model. I wanted to trade it in on one with efi and I just about fainted when he told me mine was only worth about $4000.00 tops. I only have about 35 hrs on it and its like new, camo and all. Oh well I had to pass when they wanted mine plus $3500 for a new one. The way these things last I will own this one the rest of my hunting days. Good choice, you'll love it. :roflmao3[1]:

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

Great looking toy Wes. That should make for a lot of fun.

#5 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

Trade in is always worse than if you just sold it yourself.. Polaris hold their value real well.. We got 4700 for ours and we traded it in on the rzr. Course I will admit we toss alot of moollah their way and bring them in new buyers so we may have gotten a sweeter deal than some. But from what I understand the one we traded in already had a buyer 2 days later :roflmao3[1]: They go fast LOL... Youll LOVE that efi.. And you sure cant beat the ride and power of the polaris :yikes[1]: Check out online and also Cabelas.. They have a lot of great accesories for them. One of my favorites is a rack that holds a small ice chest and two gas tanks.. We never have to worry about running out of fuel on our long rides..

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:05 PM

Nice ride Wes! That will work. :harhar1[1]:

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

That think is seksi!!

#8 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:30 AM

nice, hopefully youll be able to ride it more in oragon then in cali. i like the color with that u dont need camo.

#9 elkguys

elkguys

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy all outdoors and hunting with my son.enjoy meeting fellow outdoors people as we travel

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:13 PM

we have three polaris'es and we swear by them they will run and last for ever my son rode his frist one when he was 4 now hes 16 and rides a 400 4x4

#10 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

I have one and your gounna love it :aggressive:

#11 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:08 AM

my artic cat has enough power to do anything i want. its not efi but, hey, im in s. cal and i drove it up to 7500 with two people on it with no problems with carb i was amazed. didnt need to adjust carb for higher elevation that was cool

#12 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

The newer carb'ed bikes don't seem to be as finicky as the old ones. Still, I REALLY like my EFI. In addition to riding at various altitudes (within 1-2 hours from my home I can go from riding on the beach to mountains in excess of 10,000ft), I also have more power, quicker throttle response, better mileage, easier cold weather starting, and no cutting out at off-angles. To me, it was well worth the extra $ over the carb'ed model. :roflmao3[1]:

#13 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:59 AM

yep i agree is was thinking of getting one with efi and power steering but, more electrical it is more it will break i think. plus i can fix a carb. a efi is a different story and more $. i here a lot of good things with eft though

#14 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

they are nice for sure i was looking at one of those before i bought mine. i ave a two seater because u know the wife and kid will want to go too lol

#15 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

Yep, I still love my EFI. The only problem I had was an issue with the bike dying when idling. Turns out the tension nut on the throttle cable loosened up and the throttle cable vibrated out of adjustment. Once the problem was diagnosed it was about a two minute fix.

#16 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

Fellows, EFI is a good thing to have as it gives a smoother flow of fuel to the engine which makes for smoother power outputs in any vehicle-cars, trucks, motorcycles, ATV's, UTV's etc.... The one thing everyone needs to remember is that ATV's, UTV's and offroad motorcycles that aren't used weekly or drained of their fuel when done riding them, are in jeopardy of having fuel degrade, turn into varnish and cause havoc to your entire system. In a carbureted engine, a mechanic could remove the carb for disassembly and cleaning of the different ports and jets depending on the severity of the fouling. On fuel injected engines, a mechanic has to remove the injectors and either soak them in a cleaning solution or replace them if the varnish is severe. I don't know about you but with today's economy, those kinds of fixes are very expensive. To help prevent the degrading of fuel, there are numerous companies that sell fuel stabilizers. These help for a short time only. To really make sure you can prevent damage to your fuel system, just drain the fuel from the carburetor via a drain screw at the float bowl of the carb. If you can't find the float bowl drain screw and your vehicle is equiped with a fuel tank flow valve, just close this valve and turn your engine on and let it run till it stops from no fuel in the lines or carb. This holds true especially for fuel injected models. Have fun with those machines! ;)

#17 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:54 AM

efi is great but after several hours of ruff road id like to have power steering lol. i start my up at least once a week to help with carb and fuel problems. since i work nites i often drive around the strrstreets slowly at night. the quad is so quite no one even knows lol. i wish i lived near some dirt to run it more often though

#18 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

My bike gets ridden at least once if not twice a week. Every thursday night for sure just to take the garbage cans out to the road! :roflmao3[1]:

#19 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:02 AM

lol that is cool everything around me is street but hey it goes up curbs really well :roflmao3[1]:

#20 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

My buddy owns an 08 Sportsman 500. It's a nice quad. I've been looking into the Yamaha Grizzly 550.http://www.yamaha-mo...09/0/specs.aspxAt this rate it'll be a 2010 model that I get...nothing like our budget crisis to remove money from our pocket. Nothing like having a rear locker and electronic power steering!

#21 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

i wounder if we are controled by china then, would they let us own atv"S?

#22 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

My buddy owns an 08 Sportsman 500. It's a nice quad. I've been looking into the Yamaha Grizzly 550.http://www.yamaha-mo...09/0/specs.aspxAt this rate it'll be a 2010 model that I get...nothing like our budget crisis to remove money from our pocket. Nothing like having a rear locker and electronic power steering!

Jeff, I have two Yamaha Grizzlys - 400s that are '01s (if I can remember the year correctly), never had anything go wrong with them. We use them every season for deer hunting. I've had them in mud, snow, rain, heat...they work fine, last long time. I think the only thing I ever had to replace were the seats. My brother had them uncovered in the sun fora summer and the seats cracked. They are now stored and covered in a barn. I've used them out of state as well.

#23 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:08 PM

Mac is your quads belt driven or chain?? if belt have you had to replace it a lot?

#24 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:35 AM

My wife has the Popo 500 and I have the 800. Watch out, buying accessories for these are addictive! I did the pipe, k&n filter, gun racks and the best thing was the heelclicker clutch kit. Man, what a difference in the way it runs. You can customize it for the way you ride, either aggresive or hunting[slow]. We love our ATVs and fortunate that we can ride less than a block and BLM from there. Congrats on your new toy.

#25 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

Jeff, I have two Yamaha Grizzlys - 400s that are '01s (if I can remember the year correctly), never had anything go wrong with them. We use them every season for deer hunting. I've had them in mud, snow, rain, heat...they work fine, last long time. I think the only thing I ever had to replace were the seats. My brother had them uncovered in the sun fora summer and the seats cracked. They are now stored and covered in a barn. I've used them out of state as well.

Sorry, meant to say they were the Kodiaks...

#26 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:45 AM

I did the...best thing was the heelclicker clutch kit. Man, what a difference in the way it runs. You can customize it for the way you ride, either aggresive or hunting[slow].

:pirashoot: Tell me more about the Heelclicker kit please... I went to Heelclicker's forum but the "about" threads had been deleted.

#27 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:41 AM

You can go to atvquadsquad.com and look for Cob or Cajun to find out everything you need to know about heelclickers. This particular kit was recommended for Polaris ATVs because of the flexibility and quality of the product. I did the kit myself with a little online help, but its easy, you have to remove a floorboard and belt once you take the clutch cover off. Some trial and error with the weights to get my quad in the perfect range, plus I live at 5000', so there are other variables too. Worth it though. Hope this helps.

#28 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:55 AM

Posted Imagei like my artic cat for sure

#29 elkermarty

elkermarty

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:47 AM

I have had 9 new Sportsman 500 Polaris's. I buy a new model every year and use to hunt then when I return I sell it. The Polaris is by far the best ATV on the market today. I have put 1 1/4 elk on my Polaris and had no problem. The Polaris is by far the most comfortable unit to ride. My first unit was a 1998 model. After all of the year of riding motorcycle and only considering owning one of the big three it was hard to even get me to look at the Polaris. But when I did, it was a big winner. I will be buying the new 550 Sportsman XP for this year’s hunt. I am looking forward to see the handling of the new steering.

#30 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:48 AM

mine is already paid for lol. a big blessing i hate payments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users