Photo

Thinking of getting a new scatter gun ????

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:48 PM

My sholder is tired of the pounding my 870 gives me so Im going to get a new auto, and I'm going to do it right. I'm considering Beretta and Benilli, I want a gun to cover all bases, so it has to handle all loads, from dove to 3 1/2 mags, and come with all the chokes, and camo would be good. I'm not up on the latest and greatest shotguns, so any info would help.,,,300wsm

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:26 PM

Benelli Super Black Eagle IIhttp://www.benellius...eyPGApg12Ga.jpg

#3 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

Thanks SJ , That looks like what I'm after, I pulled up their site and checked it out, It has all the bells and whistles, I don't know about the pistol grip stock ,but maybe.,,I like the camo...300wsm

#4 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:50 PM

+1. Can't go wrong with a Benelli.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:50 PM

EHD has one with the pistol stock and he swears by it. I have the plain stock on my and really like it.

#6 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

I sit down when calling and the pistol grip really helps with your barrel alignment and takes alot of recoil(3-1/2s) and tranfers it to your wrist. For bird hunting I would not reccomend it,but for turkeys and coyotes it is a must JMHO. I think mine is either a 24 or 26 " tube.Posted Image

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

I haven't shot a coyote with my Benelli (yet) but have run a lot of shells through it. It's my first and only auto loader but so far I am really happy with it.

#8 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

I went wrong with Benelli. Mine was a lemon and Benelli USA refused to make it right in any way shape or form. Also, if your shoulder is tired of the pounding the 870 gives you you'd better consider that the Benelli isn't gas operated so the pounding won't be any less. I hunted with a few guys who had Berettas and they loved them. I was also impressed with the guns. If I were in the market for a new shotgun that's where I'd head.

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

Look at the Beretta too. same company but I've had good luck with both. I likethe way the Beretta points but that's just MHO. Also forget those mule kicking 3 1/2" shells you don't need them if you let them come in.

#10 Red

Red

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:huntin and fishin : )

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

Moe or bzzrd feeder,what model Beretta would you suggest as the best value?

#11 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:21 AM

what model Beretta would you suggest as the best value?

Take a look at the Xtrema2 with the Kick Off feature.Woohttp://www.berettaus...gun_xtrema2.cfmhttp://www.berettafi...ges/xtrema.html

#12 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:48 AM

Forget the pistol grip and unless you are going to be shooting steel at waterfowl forget about the 3-1/2"" also.

#13 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

I have the benelli SBE II and I love it. It does have a kick when shooting the 3.5's though. I took it dove hunting for the first time and it did great, I heard they won't cycle light loads but mine did fine.BTW- the best deals I found on benelli were on gun broker, got mine for around $1340 I think. Then had the paperwork done by my FFL for $30, so that wa sa great deal and no tax. (mine is camo)

#14 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:08 AM

If i was shopping for a New shotgun and I didn't already have my Beretta Urika AL391, I would probably spend the extra $$ on the one Woodog recommended. In my opinion, the Beretta Extrema II with kickoff is THE best all around shotgun you can get. But, they are expensive, so my second choice would be one just like what I have (Beretta Urika AL391) but in the Camo finish. It wouldn't have the Kick-off that the Extrema's have and will only handle 3", but I really don't think 3 1/2" is needed.

#15 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

Chris, you are just afraid of the Benelli... it is OK, just admit it, it is a big boy gun :roflmao3[1]:

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

:roflmao3[1]: Yep if a gimpy guy like me with really bad joints can shoot one anyone can. :yikes[1]:

#17 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:17 PM

Chris, you are just afraid of the Benelli... it is OK, just admit it, it is a big boy gun :yikes[1]:

I have never shot one. The only other shotguns I have shot besides Beretta's are pumps. Pumps beat the you know what out of ya.I am a recoil whimp though. Up until recently the only rifles I shot were heavy varmint rigs that didn't move when you pulled the trigger. :roflmao3[1]:

#18 DagoRich

DagoRich

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Family, good friends, camping, long range shooting, shooting squeeks and prairie dogs, reloading and a good steak.

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

Was really thinking about buying a new shotgun, but dug the Benelli M1 Super 90 out of the safe. Has just about a twenty inch barrel, takes three inch shells and has the pistol grip. Figure I'll have it threaded for screw in chokes, attempt a camo paint job and I should be good to go. Can't remember when I got it, but I only paid 620.00 for it new way back then. What do you guys think.

#19 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:34 PM

Heck, sounds like it should do the job just fine.

#20 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:01 PM

Moe or bzzrd feeder,what model Beretta would you suggest as the best value?

Sorry for the late reply Red. I'm not the one to talk to about value. I'm just not up on prices or the current models. I shoot a 15 yr. old Browning Gold Hunter for ducks that I've had fitted, ported, and the forcing cones modified. For High Volume Dove hunting I shoot 20 ga. A391 Tyknus? spell? They have been fitted also. The Benelli is a much simpler gun, easier to disassemble and faster to clean. I think my Benelli is a Montifeltro? spell?

#21 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

I'm a Benelli guy myself. If money is not an issue, you can't go wrong w/ the latest auto loaders from Beretta or Benelli, imo. Friggin' flight canceled.

For High Volume Dove hunting I shoot 20 ga. A391 Tyknus? spell?

bzzrd - I can't seem to find that gun on a google search. The A-391 is certainly a great auto-loader. I know you said that the spelling might be off w/ the Tyknus, but is that a special edition of the A-391?

#22 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

OK I went and opened up the safe and took a look to refresh my old mind. They are AL391 Teknys Gold. The reciever is supposedly a higher grade of metal and QC'd for tighter tolerances? At least that was the Berretta Rep. (salesman) was saying. Both have beautiful wood (one has blond wood streak which helps me keep them straight) and nice engraving on the recievers. I've had both of them so hot at the same time that you had to wear gloves to handle them while shooting 2004 doves in one day last year.

#23 Remi700

Remi700

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Camping, Shooting, and Hunting.

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:37 AM

Check Stoeger out they are the same as Benelli just alot less $$$ the s2000 is nice but it does not take 3.5 inch shells but I dont see myself needing them. I shoot 3 inch for duck and 2.75 for every thing else. Just my :signbummer8tl: hope it helps

#24 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:23 PM

Same company Beretta but I think the design of the two are different and the quality as well. The Franchi is also in the Beretta family of Companies and has some auto-loaders. Never shot either brand.

#25 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

The xtrema2 or the SBE2 are both top notch shotguns. I purchased a SBE2 because I like the inertia system and the ability to shoot anything I want to without cycling issues. I also don't like the size of the Berreta. 26" is as small as you can go, which is fine, but the receiver section is large and bulky compared to the Benelli. If 3.5" isn't an issue, I would look at the stoegers as well.

#26 Remi700

Remi700

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Camping, Shooting, and Hunting.

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:52 AM

Oh ya the Stoeger also has the Inertia System....

#27 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:42 PM

Dodn't forget the Winchester SX3 Shoots 3 1/2 Paid 950.00 Cabelas comes with 3 choke's :wedgie[1]: Attached File  SX3.jpg   50.51KB   63 downloads

#28 gibbygoo

gibbygoo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

12 rounds in 1.44 seconds. That thing is looking awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users