29 replies to this topic

#1 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

Between losing some good squirrel shooting to the lead ban and the fun some of you have been haveing with your PCP's I had to follow your example. I went with the Discovery in .22 cal. I mounted a Bushanell Legend 5-15X40 scope with AO and Mil Dot. I am not real pleased with the color of the stock. It has some strange figures in it.VarmintAir and Tim at Mac 1 were a big help in assisting a first time airgunner with my dicisions. Just for curious I weighed 100 JSB Exact Jumbo Express pellets. They are advertized as 14.3 grains. I had 20 that weighed 14.3 gr, 53 at 14.4 gr, 24 at 14.5 gr, and 3 at 14.6 gr. I think that is pretty consistant.Now I just need to get out and shoot it. The only close targets I have are the neighbors CATS.Attached File  100_2390.JPG   44.68KB   33 downloadsAttached File  100_2395.JPG   23.52KB   29 downloads

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:25 PM

Nice purchase Rod. I think you're going to like it.

The only close targets I have are the neighbors CATS.

That'll work! :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

Ive had my Disco .22 cal from Mac 1 about three weeks now...It is a real good buy and very accurate...you will enjoy hunting with it....

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

I have to agree that the Disco is a great PCP for the $$$. And you did right to talk to Tim over at Mac1. Today I finally had a chance to hunt some rabbits with mine. Got 4 at ranges from 20 to 53 yards. I was impressed with the accuracy and the hitting power of the Disco. I have found that getting a scope with the mil dots is key to get the best out of any airifle considering the low velocities, hold overs etc. I also threw on a muzzle moderator from Mountain Air and it really knocked the sound down.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

I'm happy to hear that Mountain Air moderator worked out. Good shooting on the rabbits too.A mildot scope makes all the difference on an airgun.

Time waits for no one--

#6 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:38 AM

Between losing some good squirrel shooting to the lead ban and the fun some of you have been haveing with your PCP's I had to follow your example. I went with the Discovery in .22 cal. I mounted a Bushanell Legend 5-15X40 scope with AO and Mil Dot. I am not real pleased with the color of the stock. It has some strange figures in it.

Nice looking gun. I actually like the stock, it shows a bit of character. You probably already did it, but if not, do clean the barrel. They tend to be pretty dirty from the manufacturing processes. Enjoy that guy, they're a ton of fun to shoot.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#7 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

I love my mac 1 shoots great and hard hitting enjoy it

#8 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

I couldn't stand it so I took it out this afternoon and kinda sighted it in. Off an improvised rest I shot this at 46 yards using JSB Exact Express. The square is 1 inch. The trigger will take some getting used to. Not real good but I wanted to find a squirrel.Attached File  100_2399.JPG   22.85KB   29 downloadsI found one in range. 40-45 yards<just the head and neck showing. It didn't even twitch. Not much for carnage but plumb dead.

Attached Files

#9 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:29 PM

Yep, double dead. :roflmao3[1]:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

Great Rod! I'm glad to see it working out. I think you'll really like airguns.

Time waits for no one--

#11 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

Looks like he had a heart attack. Good going Rod.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#12 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:39 PM

Yeah, I gotta get me one a them air guns. :roflmao3[1]:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#13 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:47 AM

I couldn't stand it so I took it out this afternoon and kinda sighted it in. Off an improvised rest I shot this at 46 yards using JSB Exact Express. The square is 1 inch. The trigger will take some getting used to. Not real good but I wanted to find a squirrel.Attached File  100_2399.JPG   22.85KB   29 downloadsI found one in range. 40-45 yards<just the head and neck showing. It didn't even twitch. Not much for carnage but plumb dead.

Nice shot. You're right, they don't blow chunks off of anything, but they are a ton of fun to hunt with anyway. :signs1242cn:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#14 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

HI,This is my first post besides the introduction thread.I have a Discovery .22 on order from Mac1 ..thanks to the advice of Shooterjohn and Varmintair.These kind of post are getting me through the waiting period!Ron

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:54 PM

You are going to really like that Discovery. It's about time a company came out with something like this making PCP's more affordable.

Time waits for no one--

#16 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

I think you will be happy with that. I shot mine some more today but the squirrels were not coming out. Too windy.

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

They say rain tomorrow Rod don't get wet down there. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#18 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

Not to be left out......here are some pic's of my Disco that I bought from Tim at Mac 1. I put on the alluminum aftermarket moderator from Mountain Air and a sling. The scope is a Leapers 3-9 x40 with mil dots. I put some camo tape on the moderator to keep the shine down. The protector for the fill nipple is something I had laying around from my paintball days. It Chronos around 870fps with 14.3 gr. JSB Jumbo Exacts. I've taken 5 rabbits with it, the longest being at 53 yards. For those of you who are thinking about getting an airgun to hunt with the Disco is a hard bargain to beat. Attached File  Mac_1_Disco_002__2_.jpg   102.34KB   27 downloadsAttached File  Mac_1_Disco_003__2_.jpg   53.91KB   28 downloadsAttached File  Mac_1_Disco_004__2_.jpg   55.51KB   30 downloads

#19 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:03 PM

Good looking setup. That'll work.

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

That's a good deal especially to get into PCP airguns. It doesn't have to cost thousands of $'s to play.

Time waits for no one--

#21 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

Great looking setup. They are amazing guns aren't they, and I don't mean just for the money. Guys that don't like, or find springers too difficult to shoot well, are going to be all over these things.

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

I need to get one to have in the truck! I'm afraid I'll scratch my Air Arms and I can't carry enough air for my Monsoon.

Time waits for no one--

#23 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

I got a UPS tracking number for mine yesterday..it will be here Thursday.The JSB pellets arrived yesterday..still waiting on scope and rings.Scuba tank will get picked up Tuesday.....TIME IS MOVING SLOW!!!

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

It will be here before you know it. I hope the scope and rings arrive soon. Got to have air too. ;)

Time waits for no one--

#25 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:07 PM

I got a UPS tracking number for mine yesterday..it will be here Thursday.The JSB pellets arrived yesterday..still waiting on scope and rings.Scuba tank will get picked up Tuesday.....TIME IS MOVING SLOW!!!

Once you get it Ron,you will be hooked...it is a very good shooting air rifle...Tim's tune cleans up the "tolerances" on the Discovery barrels...not to mention the trigger which is just great....Keep us posted on your experience with it....!!!

#26 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:16 AM

Ron,Ditto on everything Crazyhorse said. I have three friends that are sitting on the fence about getting an air rifle. I'm pointing all three of them in Tim's direction.

#27 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:40 PM

I did find a Scuba tank with fresh hydro today close to home.80 bucks for tank with first fill....at last check, my rifle is still in California, scope is in Salt lake city, and I have no clue where my rings are. All are being held hostage by UPS.

#28 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:12 PM

My wife gave me the go ahead to order a Discovery. So I'm going to call Tim at Mac1 and contact Mountainair too, just to see what they offer. If I go with Mountainair I may just get the shroud installed though it looks easy enough.Ron, glad to hear you found a tank. When you hook it up to air up turn the valve very slowly because the pressure jumps up fast and you can overheat an oring doing it too fast.

Time waits for no one--

#29 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:28 PM

The shroud attaches with a couple of allen screws and the new valve is an easy swap. 15 minutes tops.

#30 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

To spiff up your stock go to Brownells and order two cans of gritt paint. I used grey and black. Remove the stock. Clean it with rubbing alcohol. Spray the stock one solid color. The next day take the stock and hang it from a tree or some place where overspray is not problem. Take a paint brush and spray directly into the paint brush. Stand back about 5ft and sling the paint from the brush into the stock. You will windup with a textured and speckled stock that your friends will marvel at.You can thank me later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users