#1 Red

Red

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:huntin and fishin : )

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:29 PM

For coyotes, where a rifle is not allowed or not conducive, I've been shooting copper coated lead BB's in a 12ga Rem 11-87 Full choke (.683") tube with mixed results. Recently I patterned that gun and found that at 50 yards, the pattern was not as dense as I had thought. Also been shooting steel through a modified tube where lead is not allowed (I have not patterened that).So, I decided I want a shorter barrel for easier/faster handling and want to try Hevi-Shot and forget about the steel all together. I'm being told that I can use a tight choke tube with Hevi-Shot...basically what ever works with lead will work with Hevi-Shot. Is this true? Second, what diameter tube would be a good place to start? I've seen the "Dead Coyote" tube but don't know what the I.D. is and my local guy was out of them. Of course I want patterns as tight as possible and plan to continue using a shot size from 4's up to "T" possibly.3rd, I spoke with Bob at R&D the other day. I'm considering having the forcing cone lengthened and polishished when the barrel is shortened. Opinions on this? Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance.

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

1) ...lead BB's in a 12ga Rem 11-87 Full choke (.683") tube with mixed results...2) ...tight choke tube with Hevi-Shot...3) I'm considering having the forcing cone lengthened and polishished when the barrel is shortened.

Hi Red, I'll try and give you a little input here.1) A 12ga barrel should have a bore diameter of .729" (unless back-bored). Your .683" choke is actually a "turkey choke".Full ~~~ .030 constrictionXFull ~~ .040 constrictionTurkey ~ .045 constrictionI would try patterning again with a more open choke and see how the patterns are. If the choke is TOO tight, the patterns open up. As shot sizes increase(usually around sizes #2-#4), so should the exit diameter of your choke in order to maintain the same pattern.2) For coyotes with Hevi-Shot use Full, XFull or Turkey. Hevi-Shot patterns tighter than lead out of the same choke. Not sure of the exit diameter of the "Dead Coyote" tubes.3) Absolutely! Better patterns and less recoil.

#3 Red

Red

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:30 PM

I should have mentioned also that I did pattern that gun w/ the lead BB's and a factory Rem. modified tube, I don't have the dimension of that tube off hand, but the pattern was just slightly more open than the full (.683") tube. I should pattern it again, but neither was acceptable for reliable 50 yard kills IMO. I'll get a box of Hevi-Shot and/or a box of Rem HD's as soon as possible. I ordered a .665" tube today, now I'm starting to think I went too far?

#4 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

A modified choke should have an exit diameter of .709". I think your going in the wrong direction for the BB's your using.

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

... but neither was acceptable for reliable 50 yard kills IMO.

I haven't use the shotgun but I know the guys on here that have already commented have made lots of kills with it. Maybe you should go back and reread what they had to say. If I'm not mistaken, they said you won't get reliable 50 yard kills.

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:52 AM

No matter what choke you use I don't think the lead BB loads will do a good job of killing coyotes at 50 yards. I have killed a bunch of coyotes in the last 20 years with Federal Premium 1-7/8 oz of copper coated lead BB's through a modified choke. But most of the coyotes I shot were between 20 and 35 yards, a few in the 40 yard range. If you want to kill coyotes at 50 yards shoot Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote loads or the Remington Wingmaster HD in BB's or "T" shot. These heavier than lead loads pattern great and out penetrate the lead loads by quite a bit.

#7 Red

Red

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

A modified choke should have an exit diameter of .709".

you are correct. I measured it this morning and it is exactly .709"I plan to get out and shoot some patterns again this weekend. Some with a new choke and some with the ones I already have. Will also pick up some Hevi-Shot or Rem HD to try. What do you all think about having the forcing cone lengthened and polished? Do you think that might extend the range a bit or at least improve the pattern? Or is it a waste of money? Any opinions?

#8 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

I have had the forcing cones lengthened on my hunting shotguns and my Ultra XS Browning Sporting Clays O/U. Most of the high dollar shotguns now come with the longer forcing cones. It should help the patterns and it helps lower the recoil also. Some forcing cones at the end of the chamber look like a curb or a shelf when you look down the barrel from the chamber end. When you have the forcing cone lengthened you can see it is just a gradual taper from the end of the chamber to the barrel. It is up to you on what you want. I like the idea of my shot and wads going through a gradual transition to the barrel.

#9 Red

Red

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:16 PM

OK here are my results. The .709" modified tube did the best at 40 yards with "B" size Hevi-Shot. The .670" tube and the .683" tied for the most into a 8.5" circle with copper plated lead BB's. The .670" tube seemed to show a little better pattern. Now, the pattern board I was using was a bit on the small side. I would have liked a bigger board to show me where the rest of the pellets ended up. The first groups of Hevi-Shot all seemed to shoot a bit low, at least lower than my point of aim, might have been the way I was looking down the ribbed barrel? I replaced the backboards then shot the lead BB's trying to compensate for the low patterns. These went a little on the high side. After shooting 7 rounds my shoulder had enough beating for one day, and at $3 a pop for those Hevi-Shot loads, I figured I could wait until my flinch went away before trying anymore. Never been a fan of shooting a shotgun off a bench.

#10 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:14 AM

I would also move up to "T" shot and give it a try along with #4 buck. BBs are a tad light in my opinion. also take your point of aim on your patterns and dry a 5"circle around that. That is your kill zone everthing else doesnt matter . I like to see 3 or 4 pellets in that zone. 1 or 2 leaves you looking for the coyote JMHO.

#11 Red

Red

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the advice, will do. I had wanted "T's" but the local shop only went up to "B" in the 3" Hevi-Shot. I'll get some next time I place an order :roflmao3[1]:

#12 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

Shotguns often vary as to which load/choke they like the best, which means that time spent in testing on a pattern board is usually necessary. Here is a 50 yard pattern with 3" hevi-shot T's thru a .680 tube. Shotgun is a Beretta Extrema2.Posted Image

#13 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

Posted Image

#14 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

i have a remmy 11-87 with a 28" barrel and my remmy likes the winchester supreme 3" mag #4 buck it has 41 pellet and through a Primos DeadDog choke tube i get pretty consistent patterns.now i dont have pics of these patterns ,but i just nailed a big ol' female at 55 yards and she rolled to run no more.the Deaddog choke only cost me 30.00.i think but am not sure, the dead dog is an x-full and is disigned specifically for #4 buck,00 buck,hevishot,dead coyote.it works good for me that is what i do know.PW. :pirashoot:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users