8 replies to this topic

#1 TheRoman1

TheRoman1

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

Hey, guys. I want to buy an affordable scope for my CZ .22lr. Every hunter I talk to says that "you get what you pay for" but I simply don't get something: what abilities will I SACRIFICE in buying a cheeper scope (a la $70)? I mean, all I need is to be able to shoot rabbits precisely at no more than 50 yards, but not in the dark or anything. What could one possibly need other than a scope whose clicks are consistent and whose crosshairs are straight? The gun only cost $340 and I don't intend to invest a zillion dollars in unneeded fancy optics. Any specific models you could recommend for certain reason?Thanks for the advice.

#2 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

Any of the inexpensive "made in China" scopes should fit your needs. I'd stay away from the high powered model though. Stay in the 3-9 or 3-12 power. Barska, BSA, Bushnell, Simmons and Tasco come to mind as they have models in the $125 or less range. Good Luck!

#3 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:00 PM

Mueller. The Mueller APV is a great rimfire scope, and you can have a real quality scope for around $115. I prefer it to a Leupold Rifleman, and it is cheaper to boot. I'm very impressed so far.http://www.swfa.com/...riflescope.aspxI've wasted $50-100 before on cheap scopes, because hell, it is only a .22. Then what happens? In a year or two your buying a better scope anyway. Just buy a decent scope to begin with. (wish I'd have listened to everyone who told me that a few years ago :signs1242cn: )

#4 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

I have a mueller APV and it is an excellent value for the money. A little more than you want to spend, but I think it will suit you better in the long run.

#5 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

I have 2 of the Simmons "22 Mag" 3x9 scopes on two of my 22's. They have worked great for years. If I remember right they were about $75.00

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

I have a bushnell rimfire that cost $50 and I have killed rabbits and coyotes with it its a fixed 4 power. It holds zero and has taken a beating. Works for me.

#7 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

I'm going to third the Mueller APV vote. I think it's one of the nicest scopes for the money.

#8 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

I recently posted about a $55 dollar Center Point scope I got at Wal-Mart. I mounted it on my 223 mini-14 and have now since this weekend run about 200 rounds through it and its still holding up just fine. The optics are great and it also comes with an illuminated reticle feature that works AWESOME in low light situations. Its 3-9x 40mm. Model is AR-22. Comes with rimfire mountsing rings.

#9 cj1026

cj1026

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

I second that. I have a Center Point on my 10/22 and love it. Can't beat it for the price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users