Photo

Skunk messes with the Monsoon and loses...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:32 PM

I've had a few more new skunks filling in for the ones I've gotten rid of lately. I don't know where they are all coming from this year. There must be a sign down at the creek pointing the way to our place. I know it's because we don't have a dog around anymore and they're after our chickens. Anyway went out to the tack barn this morning and the inside smelled like a skunks living room. I wasn't sure if it had sprayed last night or was hiding under the raised floor part of the tack room. But I'm tired of them so I got out the box of mothballs and my mothball shooter. I use a 10 foot piece of PVC pipe I put mothballs into. It's connected to a portable air compressor with a dump valve on it to remove moisture from the tank and shoot my mothball cannon. It does a great job of shooting the mothballs back into the far corners under the foundations. Since skunks don't like mothballs they usually don't hang around long after I put some where they hide. I happen to think that this might be an opportunity to get a shot at a skunk with the NEW FX Monsoon. So I found where I was sure he got under the building and prepared for him to exit. So I yelled to the wife to hit the lever and send the mothballs. What a cloud of dust came out from under the building foundation! I could hardly see anything but did smell the mothballs. As I stood there trying to breath I felt something hit me in the leg from behind. Yep it was my little skunk buddy and he was going as fast as his little legs would carry him. He came out of an opening I didn't think it could make it through. But when you're being sprayed with mothballs fired out at 150 pounds of pressure you make quick decisions. Now as he ran into my leg because he probably couldn't see me for the dust, I almost shot myself in the foot. As he ran away from me I fired from the hip and missed him by about an inch. But unfortunately it hit next to his face and he turned around and came flying back at me! Not wanting him to run into me again I raised the Monsoon and he spotted me! He flipped around like a top with his tail standing tall. It gave me just enough time to get a quick bead on him and I plugged him for the first time. He went down for about a second or two and then it looked like he was going to take off again. So I pumped two follow up shots right into his head. But it was too late he got me with a shot of his own. This is why I hate hunting skunks in the daytime. You are never sure where they will come out of. Plus there's a better than average chance they will shoot back. My heart sure was pumping! But the Monsoon performed flawlessly and the quick follow up shots sure saved the day.Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

You have no idea how happy I am that the "SCRATCH-N-SNIFF" computer monitor has not been perfected yet. :rolleyes: :signs1242cn: Maybe you should pick up one of the full auto conversions that guy makes for the Monsoon. Nice job on the lil stinker, but next time try not to get any on you. :lol:

#3 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

:rolleyes: :signs1242cn: Sure you want to try my all stainless cannon ?

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

All I can say is I'm sure glad we buy a fair amount of hydrogen peroxide to use on removing skunk funk. As quick as I can pull the trigger he definitely beat me to the draw. :rolleyes:

#5 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

good shooting anyway!! congrats on the kill john. Sure beats getting SKUNKED!! :rolleyes: :signs1242cn:

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:17 PM

Nice going, even if it was a bit of a stinky deal.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

I need a gun that shoots skunk repellent at the same time. :signs1242cn:

#8 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:05 PM

You need one of those shields that the police use in the riots. Stand behind it and then shoot. :signs1242cn:

#9 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:09 PM

:signs1242cn:

#10 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

Shoot it in the stink gland next time :signs1242cn: :signs1242cn:

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

I've done that already. The old Texas heart shot. Like trying to put your finger in the dike to stop a leak. :signs1242cn:

#12 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

So stinky, are you sleeping in the horse barn tonight???

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:01 PM

No smarty I'm not! I mixed up some anti skunk funk and washed away my shame. :signs1242cn:

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

I'm glad you got it off.My mothers lab that she had to put down this year used to love to chase mice out in the hay barn. She'd find one some where and just start barking up a storm. One day mom was near Lilly when she started yapping at an old pallet that didn't have any hay left on top of it. Mom decided she'd lift the pallet and let her dog get the mouse. Mom grabbed one end and averted her eyes because she didn't want to watch the dog kill the mice. Mom and the dog both got a liberal dose of skunk funk from less than 2 foot away.

#15 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

Since you got that new gun all skunked up, I'll help you out by taking off your hands. Then you can get a new one that doesn't stink. ;) db

#16 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

Wow, you are the man Boz! Never stop thinking of your fellow hunter. ;)

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

Thanks Dave I appreciate your offer. ;)

#18 SAGITARUS

SAGITARUS

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:many lots of sport hobbies, such as mtn biking, snorkeling, surf fishing,hiking, and most recently, archery.

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

Obviously, the skunk you plugged wasn't PEPE Le PEW :signlol2iu: Otherwise, there would not have been any pix to show for post mortem. :signbummer8tl:

#19 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

ROFLMAO :signbummer8tl: :signlol2iu: :signlol2iu: That was tooo freaking funny LMAO.. Vinager and water works great too :)

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:24 AM

Obviously, the skunk you plugged wasn't PEPE Le PEW ;) Otherwise, there would not have been any pix to show for post mortem. ;)

Actually he got off a shot before I connected on him. I'm just used to the smell I've gotten so many this year. I have a ways to go to beat my neighbors last year total of 40 skunks.

#21 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, family, church, bass guitar

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:34 AM

Great post and great responses. lol

#22 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

What no Video??Maybe you should purchase a Hazmat Suit for your next Skunk Hunting adventure :roflmao3[1]: Attached File  level_a_hazmat_suit_720582.jpg   21.89KB   40 downloads

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

In the heat of battle with an armed insurgent, I didn't have time for video! Plus I had to wipe the gun down complete to get their chemical nerve agent off of the gun. That's some toxic stuff right there, who needs tear gas. The police should just carry around a skunk under their arm for riot control. It's a semi-auto 13 shot despenser and you can find the trouble makers later! :wedgie[1]: :aggressive:

#24 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

No smarty I'm not! I mixed up some anti skunk funk and washed away my shame. :harhar1[1]:

What is the mix that you use to get rid of skunk funk?Darren

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:32 AM

One of those pint brown hydrogen peroxide bottles mixed with a 1/4 cup of baking soda and a cap full of dish washing liquid. It kills the smell immediately and is safe for you or your pet. It works better than the store bought concoctions. I even put it into a hose end sprayer and use it to wash down my kill sites. :harhar1[1]:

#26 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:35 AM

Nice! I have never seen a home recipe before that worked. Just heard the tomato sauce BS that doesn't work.Darren

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

I can vouch for this formula I've used it too many times to count and it works every time.

#28 DagoRich

DagoRich

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Interests:Family, good friends, camping, long range shooting, shooting squeeks and prairie dogs, reloading and a good steak.

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:25 AM

I've had the crosshairs on skunks in my backyard soooooo many times, but just can't get myself to pull the trigger. :signlol2iu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users