• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:15 PM

Well, what have we all decided to shoot for coyote rounds in our scatters? I have set upon using 3-1/2 " t-shot either in dead coyote ( because i have a couple of boxes left) or Remington HD. also using a full choke that has been honed with the barrel. Really shoots a good pattern. Curious what you all are choosing?

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:28 PM

either DC or #4 buck for me in 3 1/2"

#3 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:30 PM

My shotgun (Beretta Urika AL391) only takes 3", but I am using the Remington HD right now. When I use those up, I will probably move over to Hevi-shot cause I can get it cheaper. I have been using my Full choke, but I just got a Carlson's Dead Coyote choke. :)I also drag #4 buck with me in case I end up in the Lead OK zone. Hopefully it gets bloody tomorrow. :1019:

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:58 PM

I have Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote, Hevi-Shot "B" Goose Loads and Rem Wingmaster HD in 2's, BB and "T" shot all in 3". On the pattern and penetration tests I have done I like the looks of the Rem HD BB's the most. All of these heavier than lead loads are great coyote loads. Remington has another $15.00 cash back per box program going on the HD shells again. For up to 10 boxes you can get $15.00 back or $150.00 total.

#5 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

in the early 80s , we used copper plated BBs for our shotguns den hunting. they didnt have the whop like these new rounds seem to have.

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

My wing master is only 2 3/4 Has a 30 inch with tight full choke .But I reload my owen #4 buck Got them going 1450 fps. Only have abought 150 of them left :1019:

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

Wow those are cooking...

#8 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:01 AM

Same as you but through Carlson DC chokes. Did that honing job really work?Woodog

#9 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:21 AM

For my gun it made a huge differance.Centered my pattern and filled in the holes.

#10 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:58 AM

# 4 Buck.

#11 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

Ditto, #4 Buck works as good as Dead Coyote :good:

#12 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:39 PM

dont forget costs less too. i got 25 rounds for 35.00 otd at my local gun dealer.

#13 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:10 AM

I can't shoot lead at coyotes anymore, when I did shoot lead I liked the copper coated lead BB's over number 4 buck shot because there are over twice as many pellets in the lead BB load. The 3" lead BB's and the 3" lead number 4 buckshot both do a great job of killing coyotes at 40 yards or less, but they are not as good as 3" Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote or 3" Remington Wingmaster HD BB or T shot loads. The heavier than lead pellets that are hard and stay round, they pattern great and out penetrate the lead pellets by quite a bit. If I could still shoot 3" Federal Premium 1-7/8 oz of copper coated lead BB's I would because they work good and don't cost a arm and a leg. All of the heavier than lead loads that I patterned and shot into catalogs to check for penetration out performed my old favorite Federal Premium lead loads by a bunch. Here is some info I posted on PM a while back.I went out today and shot at some paper and shot some catalogs to check out some penetration on the different types and sizes of pellets. Here are a few of the pattern pictures.Posted ImageThe first picture is a pattern from 40 yards with a Carlson's Dead Coyote choke using a Federal Premium 2-3/4" number 4 buck load. This load has 34 pellets in it. The only reason I shot the number 4 buckshot load was to check the penetration out. It put 9 total pellets in the 12" circle, one of those was in the center 3.5" circle.Posted ImageThis picture is a Hevi-Shot 3" Goose load with "B" shot in it. This load had 73 pellets in it, 56 of those pellets hit the 18" X 22" paper. The 12" circle had 25 pellets in it, 5 of those pellets were in the 3.5" circle.Posted ImageThis picture is of a Remington Wingmaster HD 3" #2 waterfowl load. This load had 124 pellets in it, 108 of those pellets hit the paper. The 12" circle had 55 pellets in it, with 10 of those pellets being in the 3.5" circle.Posted ImageHere is a picture of the catalogs I shot into on the penetration test at 40 yards. On the first catalog I shot into, I shot it with a Hevi-Shot "B" load, a Rem HD #2 waterfowl load and a Federal Premium lead copper coated BB load. The first pellet I found at "80 pages" was one of those ugly Hevi-Shot B pellets with two smaller size pellets that were stuck to it. At "page 115" I found 1 Rem HD #2 pellet. I only found two of the lead copper coated BB pellets in the catalog at "pages 211 & 279". The Hevi-Shot B load I found a total of 9 pellets, 7 of those were between page 80 and page 279 and the other 2 B pellets were found at page 359. Of the 25 Rem HD #2 pellets I dug out of the catalog, most of them were between pages 211 and 319. 4 of the #2 HD pellets were between pages 359 and 429. The next catalog I shot was kind of a shocker to me. I shot it with number 4 buckshot, Dead Coyote 3" T shot and Rem HD 3" BB water fowl load. The 4 copper coated lead number 4 buckshot pellets came out of pages 316 to 337. They were all mangled up. I found 7 Dead Coyote T pellets, 1 at page 218, 1 at page 291 and 1 at page 316. There were 3 T Dead Coyote pellets at page 367 and 1 at page 420. Here is the shocker part. I found a total of 10 Rem HD waterfowl BB pellets in the catalog. The first one was at page 290, 3 pellets at page 413, 1 pellet at 465, 2 pellets at 507, 1 pellet at 581 and the deepest pellet was at page 610.Posted ImageThis is a picture of the pellets I removed from the catalogs. The top row is the messed up copper coated lead #4 buckshot. The second row is the Dead-Coyote Hevi-Shot T pellets. The 3rd row is Rem HD BB and on the right are the copper coated lead BB's. The 4th row is the Rem HD #2 waterfowl pellets. The 5th or bottom row is the Hevi-Shot B goose load pellets. So what I got out of this was my old favorite Federal Premium lead copper coated BB's are not near as good as the Rem HD 2's or BB's. I was pretty sure the Dead Coyote T shot would out penetrate the 4 buckshot. The Rem HD BB's out penetrating the number 4 buckshot and the Dead Coyote T loads was a surprise. The Rem HD #2's look to be much better than the Hevi-Shot B goose loads also. The HD 2's out penetrated the Hevi-Shot B pellets and there was 51 more HD number 2's per shell than the Hevi-Shot B load.Posted ImageThis pattern is from a Federal 3" Premium 1-7/8 oz copper coated BB load that had 98 pellets in it. 15 pellets hit inside the 12" circle.Posted ImageThis picture is a pattern from a Remington Wingmaster HD BB waterfowl load with 1-1/2 oz of shot. This load has 73 pellets in it or 25 pellets less than the Federal Premium BB load. This HD load of BB's with 25 less pellets in it put 32 pellets in the 12" circle. So the heavier than lead load with less pellets in it put over twice as many pellets in the 12" circle at 40 yards than the copper coated lead load did at 40 yards.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:40 AM

Great post with pictures, very informative. :yikes[1]:

#15 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:16 AM

Interesting. Those copper plated #4 bucks sure deformed well much like a good bullet. It would be interesting if they do that into fur and flesh. Thanks for the great report.

#16 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:18 AM

Great 411, thanks! :D

#17 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

Very interesting :D :signs1180lq:

#18 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:16 PM

I am shooting the 3 1/2 Remington HD in "T" shot . At 45 yards it flips them end for end..

#19 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

The hd rem bbs are they steel shot?I have some kents 3'' 2s I was thinking of testing not sure how they will penatrate.

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

HD shot is a Proprietary composite of Tungsten-Bronze-Iron.

#21 Field Mouse

Field Mouse

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the information...very informative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users