34 replies to this topic

#1 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:13 PM

Do any of you parents have a loaded gun in the house for home defense?If so…How many do you have?What are the firearms?Where do you keep them? (Please don’t say the cookie jar).How old is you’re kid or kids? Also, how did the talk go if they ever come across you're gun/gun's (assuming that you had that talk).Thanks.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,947 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

Just had a junior at my old high school commit suicide in the bathroom at school on his birthday. I bet his parents are wishing they had more of a talk with him.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:59 PM

I have 3 handgun strategically located around the house. Both my daughter and my wife knows where they at in case they needed to use them. My daughter has been around guns since she was little. My wife was trained by an NRA certified handgun instructor and my daughter by me.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#4 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:04 PM

Just had a junior at my old high school commit suicide in the bathroom at school on his birthday. I bet his parents are wishing they had more of a talk with him

IMO - That junior needed a little more than a talk about his families or his decision to pack some heat in there home. At the same time, my heart completely goes out to the family. Tragic situation to that family forsure. I'm guessing the guy was 17 years old?

#5 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:27 AM

Because I have a 5 year old youngest daughter around, they are all still in safes. However, two of my handguns (.45 and .40) are in a quick access safe in my room. They are loaded with Trijicon night sites on them ready to go. I bought the safe when my son was just a few years old. Let him play with it to see if he could get into it. After a couple of hours he was bored with it and never made it in. All of the rifles inside the safe have rounds in the clips / tubes but none in the chamber. Plus that gun safe will take more then a few seconds to get into it. Only I have the keys and the combination to things as my wife just doesn't want to even know (her choice).Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:29 AM

It is illegal in California to not have your firearms locked up when kids are living or visiting the house.I keep my HD handgun in a gunvault on my nightstand. It is digital with key backup. It has finger grooves which make it easy to use in the dark. Just push your programmed 4 buttons and the door opens. Mine is the deluxe and it has a light inside and room for my handgun, small flashlight and additional magazine.I keep ALL the rest of my firearms in my regular safe.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#7 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:33 AM

No kids in the house!!!! Hand gun 357mag in reach....
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,947 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:21 AM

Arise, yes he was 17.Bernie handguns hidden but easy access. :horse apples:

Time waits for no one--

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:23 PM

UN-LOCKED, LOADED, HIDDEN Guns in the house? It is not only breaking the law it is down right dangerous...... To INNOCENT People! I sure hope no law agency or some group like PETA is reading this. A TRUE STORY:Back when my oldest son (who is now 31) was approx 4 yrs old, we had a Thanksgiving dinner at my now deceased aunt & uncle's house. They lived alone out in a very rural area. My uncle kept a loaded Ruger 22 mag revolver HIDDEN by his bed. GUESS WHAT!Yeah, that's right, my aunt came in their bedroom just as my son was pulling the revolver out. To say I was PISSED is a gross understatement... even though I did not say anything (my son was large for his age / can handle the gun).Whenever I read of an unfortunate gun accident or crime by some teenage kid using his dad's unlocked gun from the home I have absolutely NO sympathy for the parent facing legal charges. NONE! There is no excuse for this type of illegal, dangerous & irresponsible behavior, nor are you helping to maintain gun ownership in America. Anyone can disagree all they want. But guess what? I AIN'T LISTENING, as they're WRONG; but hopefully never DEAD wrong. Nuf said / I'm doneFrank

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

^^^^ +1
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#11 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:09 PM

I know for fact that hiding your handgun under the Playboys in the liquor cabinet doesn't work. :horse apples:
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,947 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:42 PM

No kids here! So I'll be hiding them where I can get to them should someone show up unannounced.

Time waits for no one--

#13 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:43 PM

You all should read Penal Code sections 12035/12036. Believe it or not. It is not illegal to have a unsecured/unlocked firearm in your home even with kids present. It only becomes a criminal issue if the minor gets the firearm AND does something like shoot themself or somebody else. This is stupid in my opinion...why wait until somebody is killed or injured.

#14 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

Just had a junior at my old high school commit suicide in the bathroom at school on his birthday. I bet his parents are wishing they had more of a talk with him.

Evidently he was in the same program my daughter is enrolled in - International Baccalaureate. He shot himself on his birthday. He left a note stating he didn't want his parents finding him, so he chose the school instead. Tragic, but he was going to do it regardless of whether or not he could find a firearm.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#15 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,679 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

Neice still comes and stays ,all locked up . Dog is a better shot at night than me.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,947 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

You all should read Penal Code sections 12035/12036. Believe it or not. It is not illegal to have a unsecured/unlocked firearm in your home even with kids present. It only becomes a criminal issue if the minor gets the firearm AND does something like shoot themself or somebody else. This is stupid in my opinion...why wait until somebody is killed or injured.

This obviously doesn't apply to me since I have no children. If it does I'm not seeing that part. If a kid gets into my house he's more likely to be shot by me than by him finding my gun. Laws are great but they don't all apply to every situation. My wife and I feel a lot better knowing we can get to and use the handgun or shotgun than to have it locked away where we can't get to it when we need it. For instance, "Hold on home invader I need to run down the hall get the safe open and get bullets in my gun, Ok you can come in now." I bought the guns to protect us not to be protected from them.

Time waits for no one--

#17 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

and John they have to get through three dogs all in the house :horse apples:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#18 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:37 PM

I agree with you completely John. I don't have kids visit very often, and when they do, they do not have the run of my house. They are confined to the living room or family room and bathroom, that's it. As for you folks with kids. I raised two boys and had loaded firearms in the house at all times. They were shown where they were. They were also allowed to hold them anytime they wanted, as long as I was there. All they had to do was ask, and I would immediately go in, retrieve the firearm, unload it, and hand it to the boys. It was encouraged. I feel they were much safer knowing how to handle the firearms, and, since they could look at it anytime they wanted, they soon tired of it and didn't want to look that often. I was raise the same way with all my brothers and sister. Most kids were. There were very few accidents as the children were taught to be familiar with firearms. In my opinion, the biggest problem we have with firearms today is that children are not properly taught about them.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#19 neocone

neocone

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

Getting a double action only firearm or one in which the double action is a heavy trigger pull would also help besides having a quick open safe by the bed. Kids' hands generally will have a hard time pressing it and most serious accidents with kids happen in a split second so anything that can delay that is good.

#20 archerjohn

archerjohn

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:I BOW HUNT AND I ALSO HUNT WITH A 17 & 243 FOR PREDATORS ,PIG AND DEER

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:33 PM

i agree with braz 100%. was rised same way an so were my kids.they were not even alould to point toy guns at each other.i was an so were my kids taught to check all guns first to make sure they are unloadeed an how to care for them clean ect.i know it worked because when my kids were little.i use to hear them tell there freinds not to point there toy guns at them.my kids are safer with guns than a lot of people i see out shooting an huntting.teach them they will live...

#21 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:39 PM

3 PistolsSig P229 .40Sig P220r ST .45Glock 27 .402 shotgunsRemington 870 express 12ga mag.Remington 870 Wing master Supermag.3 riflesRemington 700 SPS .300winmagM38 NM carbine 7.62x54rWinchester m94 carbine 30-30 winBB/Pellet GunDaisy Red Rider4 Kids Girl - 16 Girl - 14 boy - 9 boy - 18 monthsI normally keep all my guns in my gun safe unloaded with actions open or with their safety engaged (Or half cocked with the m94) except I keep one pistol out for home defense. I load it with Glaser safety slugs. I either keep it on my persons concealed or in my nightstand drawer. If you have kids I would recommend putting a locking door nob on your bedroom door even something as simple as bathroom style door nob that requires a small screw driver to unlock is good. then get a lock installed on your nightstand drawer. I have educated all my Kids on firearms usage and safety except the 18 month old. Both my teenage girls can both defend them selfs with a pistol and are very good shots. With the exception of a misshap with the bb gun (which is why it's in my gun safe now) there has never been any unauthorized handling/usage , accidental discharges, or accidental shootings in my house. I really don't feel the need to keep guns strategically placed around my house Just keep one gun on you and when you goto bed lock your door put your pistol in the nightstand drawer with it unlocked or locked with the key in. Lock the nightstand drawer with your pistol in it when you leave the house. You can always add a trigger lock If your overly worried. I normally carry Concealed at home and I also have 3 dogs an Alarm system a metal entry door and a security screen door to boot. Off all the stuff in my house I'm more afraid of my kitchen knives and inground swimming pool then I am afraid of my guns.
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#22 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

I have a 17 year old daughter. She knows about the gun.SW 40 in handgun safe in the bedroom.Full magazine but not chambered.What I need to do is get some frangible bullets because of where her bedroom is.

#23 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

When I was taking my CCW refresher class last week, the guy was telling me to use shot shells in my handgun in the house. He says they work great at the inhouse distances. By the way, he is a retired sherrif, FBI, DEA guy. Kinda knows a bit about what he speaks.
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#24 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:29 PM

When I was taking my CCW refresher class last week, the guy was telling me to use shot shells in my handgun in the house. He says they work great at the inhouse distances. By the way, he is a retired sherrif, FBI, DEA guy. Kinda knows a bit about what he speaks.

Hey Braz,I assume he's talking about a revolver. Unless you're talking about snake loads (that don't seem to cycle well in my XD). What does he reccommend for semi auto?I was looking into these - kind of the same idea.http://www.dakotaamm...aser/glaser.htm

#25 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

Yea, he was talking about snake loads. Another great reason for using a revolver. :drool:
Handmade Calls by Braz

#26 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:23 PM

Does anyone here heard of home invasion robbery. There's a lot of that going around these days. How about car chases, where criminal is on the run and ended up in your neighborhood. They're so desperate to get away from the cops that they'll do anything, including taking you as hostage. So you have a gun safe overflowing with guns but it won't do you any good if you can't get to it. Just a thought.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,947 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

Yep.

Time waits for no one--

#28 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:45 PM

When there is a knock on my door, I look through the peep. If it is a stranger, if I open the door, I wedge my foot in such a way that the door can't be opened more then the crack I open. If the person is a "rough" sort, I have my pistol in my hand.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#29 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

Does anyone here heard of home invasion robbery. There's a lot of that going around these days. How about car chases, where criminal is on the run and ended up in your neighborhood. They're so desperate to get away from the cops that they'll do anything, including taking you as hostage. So you have a gun safe overflowing with guns but it won't do you any good if you can't get to it. Just a thought.

Thats why you carry one on you. You can Conceal carry on your own property or in your business (If you own the business and it's fixed not mobile). Just stay out of your vehicle and off the sidewalk in front of your house When your CCW unless you have a permit. Be wary if your in an apartment complex best bet don't cary outside the apartment even if you own the property unless you feel threatened.BTW I'm not a Lawyer this isn't legal advise. 8)
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#30 Avo

Avo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

"All they had to do was ask, and I would immediately go in, retrieve the firearm, unload it, and hand it to the boys. It was encouraged. I feel they were much safer knowing how to handle the firearms, and, since they could look at it anytime they wanted, they soon tired of it and didn't want to look that often. I was raise the same way with all my brothers and sister. Most kids were. There were very few accidents as the children were taught to be familiar with firearms. In my opinion, the biggest problem we have with firearms today is that children are not properly taught about them."I was brought up the same way braz taught his kids. I am 27 now my father showed my sister and I how to properly handle firearms at a young age. I too have a gun safe with the majority of my arms locked up , but there are a few handguns in the house ready to go anytime in case of emergency, hopefully they will never bee needed. I think it is very important for the parents to take the time and show the importance of firearm safety. After all i do not want to be running to a safe trying to open it instead of taking cover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users