4 replies to this topic

#1 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:58 AM

Went to the range this morning, as finally figured I'd better try out these new Federal TNT Green 43gr CONDOR loads that I got at Wal-Mart. I must say, I was pleased somewhat at the results. Now, I have both a Savage 10 in .22-250 and model 11 in .223 that I am using at this time. I am NOT the best shooter nor steadiest person shooting, even when using bags, so you wont see sub-1/2" groups from me, but still I was pleased with the results. Just wondering if the 43 grains is going to be enough. I was shooting 50gr V-Max reloads before, in both rifles..223 Results:First shot (#1) was cold barrel. #'s 2 and 3 were in the black. I did 4 clicks UP to get me 1" higher and that is #4. I left it as is; figuring good enough for me and the dogs.Posted Image.22-250 Results:First shot (not shown) was about 1 inch above top of paper. I removed the bolt and did a bore sight and brought the scope down 8 clicks. #2 was top of target; brought down 8 more clicks. #4 brought down 6 clicks. #'s 5 & 6 in the black; almost same hole. Raised 4 clicks and results is #7, alittle over an inch and a quarter above zero so left it at that point.Posted ImageSo, for me, I think this is my load unless I get those Barnes 53gr TSX's I bought while on vacation loaded up for the .22-250. At $24.97 per box of 20 from WW, it is a better buy than others I have seen, as long as they'll do the trick.John

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:02 AM

Those will work.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

Just wondering if the 43 grains will be enough.

I'll bet they'll work just fine & I wouldn't hesitate at all to use them. In fact, it is the bullet I will use in my mini 14 should I happen to use that rifle in the Condor range.And it was just recently while I was testing the 36 & 43 gr non lead bullets in my 223's that I decided to go with the lighter Nosler B.T. (lead) 40gr bullet (outside the Condor range) instead of the 50grs that I had been using. Substantially higher velocity was the main reason. I am staying with the 50gr bullets in my 22-250 however.Which reminds me, aren't you close to a lot of hunting areas outside the buzzard zone where you would not need the all copper bullets? Living in Tulare Co & all! I have considerably better accuracy with the lead bullets over the non lead, plus I will rarely hunt the buzzard zone anyhow. Just wondering?Frank

#4 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:16 PM

No Frank, I am in the "zone". I can go "leaded" between Hiway 99 and I-5 west of me here though, but even though farm land, most of it is posted or inhabited. I more than likely will be hunting over in the Eastern Sierra's/Owens valley/Nevada, where I can then shoot lead. One thing, this Fed ammo is as cheap at leaded stuff. Sure, reloads are less and I have some Barnes 53gr TSX for .224 which I'll probably get loaded up for testing. If it doesnt shoot any better than the 43gr TNT then it was just a test.

#5 rem270

rem270

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Hunting fishing camping Photography

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:44 PM

I shot the Federal TNT Green over the weekend with my 223 at 100 yards I had all three touching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users