• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:03 AM

Hey guys, I am thinking of building some sort of Box for the back of my Jeep Cherokee. It would have multiple drawers and hold all my hunting stuff (calls, stools, shooting sticks, etc. etc) plus a drawer made to fit a shotgun, rifle and handgun. This drawer would be foam lined and locking. I just think it would be nice not having all my stuff just back there (especially for peering eyes). Also, it would avoid any questions about having my firearms in a locked container in transport.Anyway, I haven't seen anything like this already made, so I will probably have to build it myself. I can do it with wood, but I think that will be heavy. Aluminum would be preferred, but I don't have the skills or tools to work with Aluminum.Here is a rough draft of what I am talking about.Posted Image
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

Not exactly what you're looking for, but ....http://www.4wd.com/s...=6&jeep-sid=288

#3 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:50 AM

I also found these Truck VaultTalk about expensive!!I think I will just go custom. I want my rifle/shotgun drawer to be just deep enough for a Rifle and Shotgun with maybe room for a couple handguns. I want the rifle/shotgun to run width wise (so the end of the barrels are pointed to the sides of the vehicle). I also want the whole thing to use approx 1/2 of the depth between my back seat and the back hatch. That way I can still use some floor space for oversized items etc. I also plan to put some sort of lip on the top and add some tidowns to the top. This way I can throw stuff on the top of the box when needed.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#4 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

That will work :wedgie[1]:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#5 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:28 PM

http://www.truckvaul...ors/Default.aspTruck Vault I see you got it covered these ones you can put your ATV on top of it.

#6 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

Wannakill, I would look at having a fabricator make something you want in the material you want. Most fabricators can make and bend almost anything now a days. I friend of mine who moved to Montana has a Grand Cherokee. He had a fabricator make a 5 rifle/shotgun (padded and all) sliding drawer that was formed so that you can't even tell there are guns stored beneath the carpeted flooring above it. It was 6" deep, 45" long for the longest guns and maybe 10" wide for each section. He padded it with foam he picked up at Home Depo. I think he even bought the flush locking mechanisms from there. I don't know how much the fabricator charged him for that set up but it has to be worth every penny.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#7 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:56 AM

I wouldn't even know where to look for a "Fabricator". I ASSuME you are talking about having something built with sheetmetal. It sounds REALLY nice, but expensive to me. Also, for my Jeep Cherokee, since it is a SMALL SUV, there really isn't room to run the rifles towards the front and back. The only way I would be able to fit my 28" shotgun is to run it side to side. With the wheel wells in the back of the cargo area, this means the drawer HAS to be ABOVE the wheel wells. There will be no way to make it appear as a false floor. Also, I will not be permanently storing rifles/shotguns in my vehicle. This drawer will be used on hunting/range trips only. I just want something a bit more suttle than having gun cases in the back of my Jeep. I'm trying to avoid the looky-loos and the possible smash and grab crowd. If I was doing an overnight somewhere, I would still probably bring my gun cases so I could transport the firearms inside with me overnight.Just trying to give you an idea as to what this will be used for. So, since the drawer HAS to be installed in such a way to clear the rear wells, I may as well have some functional storage below since it will need the support anyway. If I'm gonna do that, why not add an additional drawer to double my firearm capacity or for other items. So, after my configuration, I think it would be too costly for what I want. If I use wood, my only costs are materials (which I think would be much less that metal materials).Whatya think?

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:58 AM

It sounds like you've got your mind made up already.

#9 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:21 AM

Haha, maybe. Still hoping someone will pipe in with an already made box close to what I have described at a great price. Also hoping someone with more wood working experience than I will pipe in with suggestions as to how to lighten the weight of the box while still being strong enough to be functional. :1019:

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

The wood will be heavy and use up a lot of "space" as compared to something made from metal. Do you know anyone who works in a machine shop or does A/C install work???

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:28 AM

Maybe, I guess i could ask the guy that works on our A/C at my work? Do A/C guys weld stuff up? Or is the fabrication you guys are talking about not welded?

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,184 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:44 AM

A/C guys should be able to weld but it might not be needed as they can form seams or rivet.I made one for my Expedition that I copied from the truck vault design. I bought the long drawer guides online. I made mine of plywood but it attaches to the vehicle where the third seat attached. I have metal fab tool and could have built it from aluminum or steel but I put carpet on top and the wood was faster to fab. It would be difficult to break into even if they got into the car. I covered the edges with angle iron so you can't pry it apart. It's just two long drawers for rifles and whatever. I'll take a picture of it when it gets back from hunting. I lent it to a friend for use out of state.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#13 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

Thanks John, that would be great to see the pics.

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

Thanks John, that would be great to see the pics.

Just borrow John's!

#15 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

Hmmm, yeah that would work.But the gas in that thing has got to be sky high. :)

#16 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:27 PM

Haha, maybe. Still hoping someone will pipe in with an already made box close to what I have described at a great price. Also hoping someone with more wood working experience than I will pipe in with suggestions as to how to lighten the weight of the box while still being strong enough to be functional. :)

If you like wood than use Findland Birch Plywood Very strong you dodnt need it thick http://www.woodcraft...de=details#tabshttp://www.aircrafts...innishbirch.phpClick here to download pdf ofGermanischer Lloyd Rules for Surveyingand Testing of Plywood for Aircrafthttp://www.aircrafts.....her Lloyd.pdfPM me if you want

#17 RobT2K

RobT2K

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:09 PM

Here is one I was gonna copy for my 4Runner-Storage/Sleeping platformAnd here's a more low profile one-Lo profile storage drawersThe main thing holding me back from making either was weight, I didn't want to have to keep lugging it in and out of my truck, so I was hoping it wouldn't weigh that much. But both of those weigh quite a bit, and with the price of petrol I couldn't see building one.How about those huge ABS plastic boxes (action packers I think they call them) they sell at wal mart? The one pictured is 37"x17.5"x14" Would one of those fit your rifles? You would just have to figure a way to secure it to your cargo area, maybe ratcheting tie downs would work. That is what I have been thinking about getting. I still like the idea of having a nice sleeping platform though.Posted Image

#18 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

Where's the spare tire in a Jeep Cherokee?
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#19 RobT2K

RobT2K

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

Most of them have it in the rear cargo area, upright along the driver's side.

#20 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:52 PM

Mine holds ten soft cased rifles, ammo, cleaning supplies, and has room underneath for two shooting benches. When empty it is light enough to be carried by one old man. It does fill the cargo area of a '92 Bronco. Construction materials were 2X2 lumber, 3/8" plywood, masonite and wood screws. Tools were a table saw, electric drill, and a screw driver. Was built in one day by a klutz. :yikes[1]: Has survived for 15 years of trips to N. CA, & WY with many miles of rough roads. Dimensions were determined by measuring rifles, ammo boxes and the Bronco cargo area. :D

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#21 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:34 AM

Ive seen Gary's Home Built Box. Its really nice, well thought out when he built it .
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#22 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:21 AM

Thank's for the comment, Grant.Here's a pic of the box. Outside dimensions - 49" L X 26" W X 26" H.Attached File  Bronco__Box.jpg   63.97KB   66 downloadsSpace on the sides holds camp stools, shooting mat, lug wrench, levi leg sand bags, etc.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#23 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

Hey,A17, thanks for the pic. Any chance to get some more? Is the top part a drawer? Where do the 10 softcase rifles go? How heavy would you say it is?

#24 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

Hey,A17, thanks for the pic. Any chance to get some more? Is the top part a drawer? Where do the 10 softcase rifles go? How heavy would you say it is?

The upper compartment is an empty box, without any drawer functions. The unit weighs about 30 lbs.Attached File  Bronco__Box_Rsnake.jpg   80.07KB   70 downloadsThe inside corner is shown for some details of the build. The hole is for those extra long rifles, such as the 6X284 with a 30" barrel & a muzzle break. The recess along the rails is to allow the top to sit flush with the rails. Similar recesses are used on both shelf installations. Attached File  inside_corner_of_Bronco_Box.jpg   61.66KB   62 downloadsThe top is just a piece of 3/8" plywood with corner notches cut and a handgrip hole.Attached File  Bronco__Box_top.jpg   61.11KB   69 downloadsThe shooting bench is shown partially stowed underneath the organizer box.Attached File  Bronco__Box_bench_storage.jpg   60.77KB   70 downloadsTried to use the KISS principle when building the box.

#25 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

Cool, thanks for the pics.

#26 LuckyShot

LuckyShot

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

Aluminum would be great but the material will not be cheap even if you get someone to build it for cheap. If you did make it out of wood then IMO you can go with some pretty thin ply wood since you will have runners for the drawers screwed to the lenght of the sides. The bottom doesn't need to be thicker than 1/4 also due to some strongbacks but the lid would work best if it was 1/2 or maybe 7/16. What Gary did that you might copy to keep the weight down and it simple is slots for thing to slide into rather than a drawer. One drawer with compartments is the one thing that would be great to have made out of aluminum but you need to build one out of wood first to use for some time to find out what goes in it so you know what the dimentions are for the compartments. If you know exactly then buit it out of aluminum now. I have the tools and welder it takes to build it and would be happy to quote you a price but you need to give me some details.
Northern California shooter

#27 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the offer, but if and when I build this, it sounds like Aluminum will just be too much $$. I still haven't decided if I want a taller box, where the drawer pulls out OVER the wheel wells or a lower box with the drawer area is in front of the wheel wells and opens outside of the back hatch. If I make it lower, I still have the potential to sleep in the back of my Jeep if needed. It would be rare though for me to need to sleep in there.I still need to take the shotgun and rifle out and lay them in the back to see where they fit best.This box is LOW on my list of things to do though, so it will probably be put on the back burner for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users