42 replies to this topic

#1 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

Im curious how many of us wear hearing protection when hunting.I always wear them at the range,but not when hunting.Really had my bell rung the other day and am wondering about some of the electronic muffs.Anybody have them and what is a good brand.

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

I have recently begun wearing it but didn't until late last season.

#3 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

I use the custom made silicone earplugs. They are easy to wear and can be manipulated easily to allow more sound in or keep it out.

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:37 PM

WHAT WAS THAT YOU ASKED?DB

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:44 PM

I use plugs while shooting squirrel ect muffs while target shooting. And one plug in the ear thats away from the rifle while coyote hunting or deer. Thats the one that gets the blast. I think an elictric gadget in both ears would be best.Theres nothing sissy abought protecting your hearing.

#6 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:52 PM

I don't wear any they are to uncomfortable..(I SHOULD) I would rather be able to hear everything when i am in the field. I wear ear plugs at the range.

#7 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:38 AM

Nope....Walt

#8 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:27 AM

I have a set of pro-ears, they are nice. I don't wear mine much when hunting except for dove or shooting ground squirrels. It allows you to hear stuff, but at least for me I have trouble telling which direction the sound is coming from, so I don't use them much when hunting.

#9 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:53 AM

nope just on the range.

#10 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:08 AM

Only at the range :fireworks3:

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:14 AM

I have a set of pro-ears....... It allows you to hear stuff, but at least for me I have trouble telling which direction the sound is coming from

Same problem here, I just can't tell what direction the sound is coming from. I do wear mine at night, however. I am going to try them this fall in my deer stand and see how I do with them.

#12 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:52 AM

Same problem here, I just can't tell what direction the sound is coming from. I do wear mine at night, however. I am going to try them this fall in my deer stand and see how I do with them.

At least your ears will stay warm.

#13 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

Targets and squirrels, I wear them, not all the time when coyote hunting though. Like others posted, I like to hear when in the Field. If I get one shot a Coyote, thats usually all I will shoot, unless I switch to squirrels where the fun and shooting comes fast. I always have some with me.

#14 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

I only wear them while target shooting or while shooting ground squirrels.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

I wear them around my wife and mother in law! :1087:

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:04 PM

You looked over your shoulder before you typed that, didn't you?

#17 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

Huh??? I should have worn when I was younger. I wear them now all the time but the ringing in the ears never stops.

#18 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

That's one of the nagging things (besides wives and mother-in-laws):the ringinggoes on for 24-7-365.Now,miss some words in conversations.Or,I don't hear it at all.Gets a little embarassing,to ask 2 or 3 times what they said.

#19 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

I know I posted it somewhere in this forum before but I use those darned expensive digital electronic ear plugs from Walker Game ears. I sometime shoot rifles that have muzzle breaks on them. If you've shot one, you know what kind of noise they make. My left ear started this ringing thing which tells me I've got trouble in the future so I went ahead and invested in a set. Although they are expensive (depends on where you get them from), they are truly worth it. They kill the sounds above 90db but they also work as an amplifier which is nice for listening to them coming in from a long ways. Only problem I've had with them so far is the desert winds. I usually turn the amplifier side down to normal level and they seem to work okay then. There are many makers out there now. My hunting partner who swore he would never wear ear plugs in the field, just bought those new ones from Cabela's called Sport ears (also digital) for about $900 and he likes them alot. These hearing protectors seem like a lot of money until you put a value on your hearing. Better to protect them now or pay for it later when it's too late and you can't hear........WHAT DID YOU SAY Posted Image

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:37 AM

Yes I did look over my shoulder quickly Heath. I didn't want to lose more of my hearing than i already have. I too wish I'd worn my hearing protection when I was younger. I also have the persistent ringing in my ears and can't hear certain sounds. When people say listen to that I often can't hear what they're talking about. I think reloading probably wasn't a good thing for me at a young age. Because i shot way more than I probably should have and am paying for it now.

#21 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

My ringing, especially in the right ear, I think is from listening to high pitch tones in trouble testing equipment. Sure some from shooting without plugs, from back in the days when I shot game birds. I still now use the Caldwell E-85's which are cheap, but still work quite well.

#22 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:09 PM

I carried one now, eversince I lose the hearing on my right ear, after the surgery, to remove the tumor deep inside my ear.

#23 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

Fakewee mentioned that he now wears the electronic hearing protectors. Mentions that they can cost $900. Seems to be a lot? Well, let me tell you what it cost to not be able to hear. I wear hearing aids full time. You think the wind is bad on those when hunting, try all the time! And you think the $900 is expensive, try buying some hearing aids. The two that I wear, are good ones, but not the best. Middle of the road type electronic aids, with a little computer in each one. Are they expensive? Try $5000. Yep, $5000, not a typo. So folks, as the old ad says, you can pay the man now or pay him later. And if you think that only one shot won't don't any damage you are totally wrong. You are just destroying your hearing a bit slower, but doing it nevertheless. I wear the Peltor electronic muff when I shoot. Period. All the time. Just do it folks. Believe me when I say, "It ain't fun being deaf!"

#24 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:59 PM

Loud noise, whether gunfire, industrial noise or music concerts will damage your hearing. If you don't want to be able to hear properly, don't wear hearing protection when around loud noise. It's your choice. Oh, most medical plans don't cover hearing aids.Oh yeah, wind noise while riding a motor cycle will damage your hearing also. :horse apples:

#25 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:21 AM

Just bought a set of those Caldwell ones on EBay for $30. Have to see how they do. Those other ones are just so highly priced! I know hearing is precious, but if it isn't affordable (let alone the cost of lead free ammo), it doesn't do me any good!Darren

#26 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

:horse apples:

#27 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:26 PM

:roflmao3[1]:

Attached Files

#28 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

I don't care what sort of tag you're trying to fill I'm not going to be a shooting rest! :roflmao3[1]:

#29 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

I wear plugs when varmint hunting and target shooting but not for anything else. Some pistols I simply refuse to shoot without muffs. That's the main reason I switched from a .44 mag to a .45 colt as my field revolver. Waaaayy less noise.

#30 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

All the time when target shooting. and most of the time when squirrel popping. I too got that dang noise in my ears got to sleep with a fan going. Mine is from industrial noise and the doc. said that they were getting old faster than the rest of me. :roflmao3[1]: :horse apples: I hate asking my wife what all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users