• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:22 PM

I recently damaged the front bead on my shotgun so I replaced it with a small fiberoptic bead from hi-viz. It was ok but in dim light the fiber optic light pipe just wasnt long enough to collect much light. I was at a local gunshop the other day and ran across the one that Tom Knapp uses and man is it great! It's made by Champion and although it's a bit funny looking it sure is bright. I'd highly recomend one to anyone.Posted ImageIt's a little funny lookingPosted ImageThe picture doesn't really do it justice but trust me, it's really bright. I had to take this pic in the shade because in direct sunlight the bead was so bright I couldn't get the proper exposure from my camera. Also, the light pipe sits back in a tunnel so you can keep both eyes open and your non dominant eye wont see the bright bead beacause of the angle at which it is presented.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

Now that's a very cool looking front sight. I could see how it would make shooting with both eyes open even easier.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,731 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:28 PM

Pretty dang cool :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I think it looks cool.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

The "other" purpose of this sight is to teach you to keep your face planted to the stock. Look at pic #1, the bead does not show at the shooters end. It is inside the tube, if you raise or otherwise move your face you no longer see the bead. Better and more hits are the result. This is a modern remake of the old Weaver sight of the same design.

#5 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:34 AM

Found them here

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

Looks good.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

The "other" purpose of this sight is to teach you to keep your face planted to the stock. Look at pic #1, the bead does not show at the shooters end. It is inside the tube, if you raise or otherwise move your face you no longer see the bead. Better and more hits are the result. This is a modern remake of the old Weaver sight of the same design.

Actually, once you mount the gun you can still see the bead with your shooting eye form pretty much anywhere. Moving around a little up, down, or side to side doesn't make much difference. You'd have to get waaaaay out of line with the gun to loose the bead. It's the other eye that doesn't pick up the sight. It did make a noticable difference in my dove shooting. I knocked down six birds with eight shots sunday evening which is by far my personal best to date.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:28 PM

Do you think you'd go with the shorter hunting version if you did it again? Do you think it would have been bright enough?

#9 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

Actually, once you mount the gun you can still see the bead with your shooting eye form pretty much anywhere.

Thanks, for the correction, I thought this was a closer reproduction.

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:51 PM

I'm not sure Heywood. I really wanted to try the short one but I was afraid that once I put it on it would be pretty much usless if I tried to remove it. Plus, the way I see it, the bigger brighter sight should be concidered the hunting sight because alot of the time you're shooting hurried snap shots at a bird that either just flushed from under your feet or just whizzed over your blind. When shooting trap and skeet you know where the targets are coming from and you tell them when to fly. In the store I could see a difference in the brightness of the two but in real sunlight they might be to close to tell. I ended up with the long one because it was going on my pass shooting gun and I wanted it to be as bright as possible for those first shots in the early morning and the last shots of the evening. I think I might get a short one for another gun and see if there is much difference.

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:38 AM

I've been looking at different hi-viz sights for a little while now and I just bought this one to give it a try.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:58 AM

Today I picked up one of the short ones for my old 870. It's pretty bright but I still like the long one better. The short one would be nice on a pheasant or quail gun because most of that shooting is done in brighter sunlight but for a dove and waterfowl gun where you're best shooting time is in dim light I'd stay with the longer model.

#13 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

Hey that is pretty neat, I don't find it funny looking at all.
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users