• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

Has anybody used an AR15 with a U15 stock? Thinking about one so I can have a standard mag release on the new toy I'm looking at. Any opinions on these stocks? Thanks Ed

#2 SStgQ

SStgQ

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING, Hikking, FISHING, HUNTING, Swimming, HUNTING, Camping, HUNTING, Off-Road, and HUNTING.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:52 PM

I have not heard anything bad about the stock....other than the funny look of it, it seems to work just fine.Any perticular reason why you don't want to use the bullet button instead of the U15 stock?

#3 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

Yep, My main squirrel gun has a U-15 on it. Check her out. Posted Image

#4 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:10 PM

I have not heard anything bad about the stock....other than the funny look of it, it seems to work just fine.Any perticular reason why you don't want to use the bullet button instead of the U15 stock?

SSTgQ:I want a "Featureless Gun". From what I've been able to gather, if you don't have the 'Evil Features', you can have a standard magazine release. Just don't want to have to mess with the 'tool'. But, if I'm seen using the mag release by an LEO who just THINKS he knows the law, I could be letting myself open for a lot of PITA hassles. But, that's why I was inquiring about the U-15 stock. Ed Bronco: Do you have a BB on yours, or do you have a standard release? Thanks for the picture, lookin' sooweet. Ed

#5 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

You might look into Monsterman grips. They can be had for much cheaper than the U-15.

#6 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:58 AM

I saw them at the Stockton gun show and they seemed awkward to me. Couldn't get used to my thumb being up the wrong side of the stock. Just me, but, it just didn't feel comfortable. May have to go that way if it doesn't work out with the U-15 Ed

#7 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

I think they grow on you. Did the one you saw have a ambi safety selector? That gives your thumb a place to rest on.

#8 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:15 PM

The one I saw was just on a lower as a demo. Didn't know they made a lower with an ambidextrous safety. Thanks for the heads up. Ed

#9 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

I want a "Featureless Gun". From what I've been able to gather, if you don't have the 'Evil Features', you can have a standard magazine release. Just don't want to have to mess with the 'tool'. But, if I'm seen using the mag release by an LEO who just THINKS he knows the law, I could be letting myself open for a lot of PITA hassles. But, that's why I was inquiring about the U-15 stock. Ed Bronco: Do you have a BB on yours, or do you have a standard release? Thanks for the picture, lookin' sooweet. Ed[/quote]well if you dont want to mess with the "tool" why bother with the u-15 if you dont want a LEO to bother you, u-15's are approved by CA DOJ just like BB. if the LEO wants to be a punk he can still take you to jail for having a u-15. You can try to argue with him about the law and stuff but if he wants to take you in, he will. Your still flipping a coin with a u-15 just like you will with a BB

#10 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:17 PM

RIFLES: I don't see your point. I'm aware they're both legal. I have a choice of a BB or a U15. I don't want to be restricted to a 10rd mag, which you are with the BB. With a U15 I can use a 20 or 30, provided I had them prior to the ban. I just want the choice. Ed

#11 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

Ed: when I put mine together back in 07, I took the safe road and went with a BB in case I wanted to put the standard A2 stock back on it. I don't find the BB any problem or hassle. Remember the more flexible you are the better it is for you.Bob

#12 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

Yeah, you're right, you can put the A2 back on, I'd just like to have the option of using a hi-cap mag. Which, from what I can see in the regs, you can't do with the BB. Ya just pays your nickel and takes your choice. Just depends on what a guy wants. I can always put the BB on later. Would like to see the one you have. Ed

#13 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

the only reason i say that is because when i called the DOJ they said that they never approved the BB but they also never said they are illegal. the guy i talked to said that ......."you are acting as your own attorney if your use a bullet button. it's up to you if you think a bullet button is legal or not"he also said its possible that a LEO can arrest a person even with BB

#14 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

The only time you hear about someone getting in trouble with an AR style rifle ,the guy is doing something wrong, i.e. shooting too close to the road, shooting it in an area where you shouldn't, etc. . With close to 100,000 OLL in California nowadays you would think it would be a daily front page newspaper item. However any time you build or buy one you are taking that risk. Just keep a copy of the CA. gun laws and a copy of the Calguns AW flowchart with you and you shouldn't have any issues. JMHO

#15 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

The way I understand it, a BB does not restrict the size of mag. If you have pre-ban mags, you should be good either way... provided you can prove to a LEO they are pre-ban.

#16 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

Well, I called Sonoma Firearms in Sac. and my upper as well as my LPK will be shipped in the morning. Been a long time coming. Got the BB with it, but, not sure if I'm going to install it or not. Can always change it.............. Gonna' be a loooong two days or so till it gets here. Ed

#17 RobT2K

RobT2K

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:52 PM

The way I understand it, a BB does not restrict the size of mag. If you have pre-ban mags, you should be good either way... provided you can prove to a LEO they are pre-ban.

If you have a fixed magazine (bullet button) you can not have greater than 10 rounds. To do so would be making an "Assault Weapon"12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following: (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon. (B A thumbhole stock. (C A folding or telescoping stock. (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher. (E) A flash suppressor. (F) A forward pistol grip. (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds. As for the mags, you don't have to prove anything. There is no law against mere possession. The law is against manufacturing/assembling/importing them in CA.Effective January 1, 2000, SB 23 generally prohibits, the manufacture, import, sale, giving or lending of large capacity magazines (defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but does not include .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding devices).As far as the U15 or BB or Monster man grip goes, I liked the MM grip w/ambi safety until I had to carry it around all day in the field without a sling. Not easy, that pistol grip is waaay better. So for hunting use, I like the BB so I can have a pistol grip. Plus 10 shots is plenty for hunting.I tried a friends U15 and didn't like the thickness or the length I had to reach for the trigger of the hand grip. It felt like I was trying to hold a baseball bat or something. You might want to try one out before buying if you can.

#18 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:10 AM

RobT2K is right on this one. I believe that law was added because of SKS rifles with 30 round fixed mags. At any rate, the way it is written makes BB AR's 10 rounds or less. I didn't know this when I built my first AR, so I can't use any of my pre ban hicaps. Slowly but surely working on building up another, featureless this time. Very slowly.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users