10 replies to this topic

#1 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:49 AM

Posted ImageThe hollow point entered the back of his head and came out just under the eye clean instant kill he kicked about 10 times and expired .This is the largest ever kill with a air rifle for me I'm stoked , the shot was at 33 pace's.

#2 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

Great shot...!!! I just received my MAC 1 tuned .22 a week ago...a friend has issue with racoons and I was thinking the Benjamin PCP would do a number on them...!!! Can't wait to go and take care of his "coons"...LOL...

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:09 AM

Very nice! That's a good sized one and a great shot too.I have one or two that have been sneaking around my horse stalls, I've seen their big footprints. But I haven't been able to get at them because I'm overrun with skunks coming up from the creek. I need to thin the skunks but it's not fun having to retrieve their stinking carcasses late at night. Especially because you have to get really cleaned up before you come back into the house after dealing with them. Maybe I should invest in a hazmat suit.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

Very nice! That's a good sized one and a great shot too.I have one or two that have been sneaking around my horse stalls, I've seen their big footprints. But I haven't been able to get at them because I'm overrun with skunks coming up from the creek. I need to thin the skunks but it's not fun having to retrieve their stinking carcasses late at night. Especially because you have to get really cleaned up before you come back into the house after dealing with them. Maybe I should invest in a hazmat suit.

Sounds like a job for one of those long crappie jiggin poles with a big real sharp treble hook :D

Attached Files

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:49 PM

I've decided to go back to trapping the skunks and drowning them there's little to no smell. I got a couple of fully enclosed plastic traps that are made for dunking. Plus a neighbor around the corner gave me a BIG stainless steel tub they used to grind hamburger into. It's perfect for dunking the traps into and no more BIG stinks. He said just make sure you leave them under water for 15 minutes or so. I said yeah you want to make sure they aren't holding their breath. He said he had one do that once and when he dumped it out of the trap on the ground he saw it take a deep breath and it's eyes opened. I asked him what did you do? But his wife beat him to the punch before he could answer. She said he slipped in the mud around the tank, fell on his butt and got squirted by the skunk. ;) She and I laughed but he didn't think it was that funny. ;)

Time waits for no one--

#6 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

John I've got a couple of those 'Havaheart' traps that are fully enclosed plastic. You don't even need a dunking tank. Just turn them up on end with the door end up. Fill it up with a garden hose. Works like a charm.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

That a heck of a good idea. But i have a few older traps that I just have plywood around to conceal myself from the little stinkers. But I'll use the hose trick with the plastic ones. Thanks for the idea.

Time waits for no one--

#8 Hipshot Percussion

Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:58 PM

Hey JohnI use muskrat traps and ply them with cat food. Most of the time it kills them outright occasionally I have to coop them. Had a problem with skunks for awhile because a neighbor lady keeps feeding them. I got tired of bathing my dogs at 2 am and went to traps. Had a skunk one morning caught by the foot and he was pissed as I was about to give him a load of #6 shot, my neighbor started yelling at me for killing defensless animals and what an sob I was, I pulled the trigger and asked her if she said something. I finally told her that by feeding the skunks all she did was give me more targets.

#9 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:19 PM

We've got 12 coons, 3 possums, and 4 skunks in the last month on my buddy's property. It's been fun considering we haven't seen any deer while out hunting them! Haha.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#10 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

:signbummer8tl:

#11 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:25 PM

Hey JohnI use muskrat traps and ply them with cat food. Most of the time it kills them outright occasionally I have to coop them. Had a problem with skunks for awhile because a neighbor lady keeps feeding them. I got tired of bathing my dogs at 2 am and went to traps. Had a skunk one morning caught by the foot and he was pissed as I was about to give him a load of #6 shot, my neighbor started yelling at me for killing defensless animals and what an sob I was, I pulled the trigger and asked her if she said something. I finally told her that by feeding the skunks all she did was give me more targets.

:flag: :signbummer8tl: ;) Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users