6 replies to this topic

#1 SL3

SL3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hey Folks I just got me a Polaris Ranger Crew this last year and have really enjoyed it. Originally it was purchased so the whole family could ride along and folow my son on his motocross bike when we go out to Ocotillo Wells. But I took it dove hunting in Az and it was great. The guys out their go to the DMV and show them a few hand signals and they get a plate to make them street legal. They drive them everywhere. Deer Hunting is coming up and I hunt D-19. Does antone know if I can run this out there. It seems every where I go in So Calif there is a sign posting such acitivity. Can we at least drive them on the forest roads like our jeeps, or do they need plates ? I really want to take advantage of this baby. I watch those guys on the outdoor channel throwing their kill on their ATV or UTV and just cruising on out. Sure beats a dead sleed and a 5 mile hike down a rugged mountian.

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:31 AM

You need green sticker and can go on numbered roads, but no pavement... That was the last we were told.. Good luck finding areas.. they closed sooo many roads this past 2 years.. Im not familuar with d19 though so you can get maps from forestry to show what are open.... How does the longer wheelbase affect the 4 wheeling part? We were thinking of getting one but the over all length looks too long for where we go, we do a lot of climbing up and down and such.. We have the regular cab Ranger..

#3 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

I love the closing of the roads. The roads get closed, so they don't get used, so they are abandoned roads. Then comes your wilderness study area signs and then wilderness designation because people don't use the roads up there anymore and after the wilderness designation, basically, it shuts people out of OUR lands. Got to love the government of the people for the people..What is the true agenda behind it all? Just what I have witnessed over the years and can't understand why the government thinks it needs such tight control over it's citizens. Maybe they are afraid of us....Walt

#4 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

The only place you can drive that thing is out in the desert and then you have to stay on designated trails only. There is also the Anza Borrego State park and it is off limits to ATV's, dirt bikes, UTV's and all non-highway legal vehicles. If you get caught by the rangers it's incredibly expensive. Most of the BLM lands are legal for trail riding on designated areas only. Check with the BLM office near you and get some maps. Good luck!

#5 shootnjas

shootnjas

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

Dirt roads OK, pavement not OK.Of course on the opener, most rangers are all pissed off at the idiots so there libal to right you up right or wrong.. After the opener, they settle down and there attitudes are allot better..jas

#6 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

i found only a couple areas in the mtns but that's it. there's the desert in some parts. u know they should just outlaw these things so we don't waste our money. but they don't want to do that because they want the taxes

#7 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

Don't give up on those UTV's and ATV's fellows. There's plenty of open areas in the deserts to ride them! You just won't be able to hunt with them in certain areas. I had a Kawasaki 750 Prairie 4x4 that had all the goodies for hunting on it. It was alot of fun to ride and take in the scenery with the wind blowing in my face (open face helmet of course). My only problem was that I ran into too many LEO's and BLM officers that didn't like the idea of a quad roaming the desert with a few coyotes tied to the front or rear racks. But take those ATV's and UTV's out to the areas that are legal and it's a blast to ride fast. Now, if you happen to hunt in Arizona or Nevada, almost all the dirt roads are legal to drive on with a firearm strapped to it or in a gun boot. Don't sell them yet, just find legal areas to ride them fellows! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users