#1 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

I went up for an evening hunt after work today. About 40 minutes after getting settled, a buck steps out in front of me. A nice buck, bigger than the one I missed last week. Problem is, he's facing me. So I wait. He then presents me with the perfect broadside shot at 20 yards. I flung an arrow and connected. I am so excited. I call my buddy and he comes up to help me track it. We start in and immediately find part of my arrow that had broken off wit a bit of blood on it. This is where it gets bad. There is no blood to be found. We searched and searched, nothing. Then it got to dark to see anything. Even with flashlights it was difficult to see in the thick stuff. So the first deer I actually hit, I can't find him. I pretty sure I shot high and now looks like I didn't hit any vitals. I feel really bad cos there's a deer out there that is possibly still alive and in pain or it's dead and I've failed so far to recover it. I'm going to ask my boss tomorrow if I can take a couple guys up in the morning and look some more.

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

There is still a chance you hit high through the lungs and it didn't bleed out much. Let us know how the search tomorrow goes.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

I understand why you feel bad. Yep, go back up there and find him. Good luck.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:56 PM

your not the only one that feel bad, I track mine with blood for 3 hours and the blood ended so we were out of luck

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

That's a tough break. Good luck on finding him.

#6 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:56 PM

Tell your boss that it's a survival training exercise. :angry2:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#7 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

They make transmitters that fit in arrows. This may solve future problems just like this. Or how about a dog to help locate downed deer. It seems that the majority of the time, the game does run away. Why not INSUE you can find it, BEFORE you shoot it.http://www.freepaten...om/4885800.htmlJust trying to help.

#8 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

Just got back from looking again. Nothing. As far as a transmitter, it's illegal here to attach any electronic device to the bow or arrow. Looks like I didn't hardly get any penetration. 5" max.

#9 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:16 AM

Looks like I didn't hardly get any penetration. 5" max.

That's not much... What are you shooting - bow/arrow/broadhead, and do you know what speed?
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

That's ashamed you lost him but things like that happen. It's just the luck of the draw and it sure sounds like you did everything to find him.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#11 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

That's not much... What are you shooting - bow/arrow/broadhead, and do you know what speed?

I'm shooting a Martin Jaguar Magnum, 53 lb draw weight; Cabela's 55/70 arrow; Muzzy 100gr 4 blade 1" broadhead. Arrow weighs 350gr. I don't know the speed. I'm well over the minimum draw weight and well within the draw weight to arrow ratio (5gr per lb of draw weight or 300 gr minimum).

#12 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

That's too bad Jake, but if that is the only one you ever loose, you will be lucky. Head out and get another.
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#13 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

I'm shooting a Martin Jaguar Magnum, 53 lb draw weight; Cabela's 55/70 arrow; Muzzy 100gr 4 blade 1" broadhead. Arrow weighs 350gr. I don't know the speed. I'm well over the minimum draw weight and well within the draw weight to arrow ratio (5gr per lb of draw weight or 300 gr minimum).

53 lbs, that's not bad for a youth bow. :) J/K. With that set-up, you're probably pushing 210 - 220 fps and hit in the shoulder. Those muzzy's are pretty nice... you might want to think about a cut-on-contact broadhead for better penetration. At least you're seeing deer, which is better than what I've heard from more than one local hunter. Go get another one and bring it home!
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#14 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

Check out a 2 blade broadheads like a Magnus Stinger. They have great penetration cause of less drag and they have a chisel shaped tip. I have seen a picture of one of there broadheads stuck in the ball joint of the opposite end of an African Buffalo on there website.

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

I know the feeling bro. I lost the first deer I ever shot at, and it was also the only deer I've ever stuck with an arrow. I watched him run off with fletching sticking out one side and a broadhead sticking out the other. A little high but thru the lungs. While we gave the deer some time to lay down my buddys were already congratulating me on my first buck. Eventually we went in after him and found pink frothy lung blood but eventually we lost the trail. I spent eight hours with four other hunters looking for it but we never found him. That sucks.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#16 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:41 PM

Yea, if a deer goes down in some brush, which is where oftentimes they go, it can be next to impossible to spot them. Sure am sorry to hear that you weren't able to find him.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#17 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,735 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

You tried and did your best. Better luck next time. BullsEye is right on about single cut on contack broad heads for light bows .
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#18 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for all the info and words of encouragement. I'll go check out those Magnus Stingers today and then go shoot to see how much if any adjustment I need to make before headed out this evening.

#19 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:06 PM

Next time try waiting 40 to 50 minutes before moving around, If you jump them they can run miles on one lung but if left alone they lay down and die. It never feels good to loose an animal. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users