• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:30 PM

Well you know how it is when you want something badly and the price is climbing as the dollar is sinking. But then have a hard time finding even getting your hands on it. The planets aligned today and I was able to finally purchase another adult airgun I've been dieing to own. I've wanted one of these since I told VarmintAir about them and he ordered one of the first. I ordered a new FX Monsoon. It's a semi auto and one of the quietest airguns made. I got one in .22 cal as my AA 410 was getting lonely. Here are a couple of pictures of what it looks like. I can't wait until it gets here.Attached File  Monsoon_Left.JPG   52.29KB   35 downloadsAttached File  Monsoon_Right.JPG   51.44KB   42 downloadsYou can watch a video of the guns FX has available. Pretty cool stuff.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

That thing is AMAZING! I hope you're able to take a turkey with it this fall.

#3 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

Wow John - that looks sweet!Semi Automatic? How many pellets will it hold?

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

It holds 12 in .22 cal. I wish it held 50. But you can make it full auto if you really want to waste pellets and air. :welcomeani:

Time waits for no one--

#5 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

Thats awesome - I just saw the fx video along with another video on youtube one that was tranformed into full auto.Looks like fun.Not cheap tho' - does it come with the scope?

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

No you have to provide scope and mounts.

Time waits for no one--

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

That's awesome John. Shooting that thing is about the most fun an airgunner can have with his clothes on. This past spring I was hunting with mine, when I had an opportunity to use it the way it's intended to be used. I had spotted a squirrel den with a mom and five juniors. She only had her head sticking above the edge of the mound, but the youngsters were all sitting or laying around on the top of it in plain view. She was just over 45 yards away. I put a pellet through her skull knowing that she would probably slide down into the den entrance blocking it. The rest was like the shooting gallery at the county fair. In 10/15 seconds the rest of the furballs were accounted for and I never took my eye away from the scope. That gun gives new meaning to the expression, "fast and furious shooting". What a hoot. Can't wait to hear of your exploits with yours.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:43 PM

I'm hoping for something like your adventure! :welcomeani: I'm really excited about getting it. You know that sounds funny when I have lots of other guns and such. But something about these new airguns is just too much fun. I tried to resist but I'm not getting any younger and I don't have kids to leave everything to. So I figure go for it and have fun.

Time waits for no one--

#9 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

I'm not aloud to hang out with Shooter John anymore!!! Now I want one! Dang it! Well, off to the airport for Idaho but I WILL BE GETTING ONE OF THESE!! Awesome John! I hope you shipped it over night so you don't have to wait to long to get your hot little hands on it!! :D :welcomeani:

#10 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:57 AM

I say go for it. Life is short, and even shorter when you're half way through your sixties like I am. We have a son, but we gave him an excellent education and he is off making his way quite successfully in this tough old world, so his mom and I are doing our best to spend most of his inheritance. :lol:I'm having so much fun with these airguns it's rediculous. Tree squirrel season opens here on October 3rd and I'm going. I haven't hunted tree squirrels in years. I've been doing some scouting in the Ponderosa forests north of town and have found a couple of places where fresh pine cone clippings are everywhere. We have the tassel eared Aberts tree squirrels over here. The compact AA 410CRBSL .22 carbine should be great medicine for these guys. It's looking to me like a 30/35 yard shot will be pretty typical. I occasionally see them on the ground, but these guys are most definitely "tree squirrels".The Ponderosa Pines are so thick that these guys can go forever without ever touching the ground. I've got to get out and get some practice shooting at steep angles up into trees. I'm getting a kink in my neck just thinking about it. :lol:I forgot to say that the trees are loaded with pine cones, and they make great targets to practice on up high in the trees. The perfect substitute squirrel target. :welcomeani:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#11 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:07 AM

:welcomeani:

#12 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

John I look forward to hearing from you when you get a chance to break the gun it. Based on the video is seems like it's pretty smoot.Unfortunately I've still got to put a kid through college, so I've got a bit less to wish for.Here is what I'm saving / hoping for: The Walther Dominator in .22Attached File  umarpic225_2016.jpg   41.69KB   23 downloads

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

I tried to resist but I'm not getting any younger and I don't have kids to leave everything to.

The adoption papers with my name on it is in the mail! :hellohello9il:

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

Ok Heath I'll put you down as a write in. :hellohello9il:

Time waits for no one--

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:02 PM

George that Walther is pretty sweet and has some nice features. I like the fact it will take a 4350 psi fill but will work at 3000 psi just fewer shots. Too bad they don't come stock with that 10-40X scope. But it is a greatd buy at half what the Monsoon costs. I don't think you can go wrong with that one. :hellohello9il:

Time waits for no one--

#16 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:47 PM

Let me know how that thing shoots.... I might have to get one... :)
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#17 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

I cant wait to see the groups it shoots.!! I bet you cant wait.....

#18 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:29 PM

I think Arizona Airguns is the only FX distributor in the US...

#19 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

Richard, Airguns of Arizona is the only US distributors of the FX line of guns. I wish more sold them to make the price more competitive but what can you do if you really want something?

If I buy another air rifle my wife will kill me...LOL....wonder if the Benjiman pump will work on the FX....??? It has 3500 psi capacity.... :)

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

The pump would work but it's a lot of pumping. Did you know you are supposed to not heat up those pumps? You're supposed to rest every so often to keep them from overheating. I guess the heat shortens the pump life. I'm lazy and have several air tanks. In fact I just found a place to fill them not 3 miles from my house. Plus it's only $5 for a 4500 psi fill. :) I'll need all of those tanks as the Monsoon only gets about 36 shots per fill. But that's three magazines so I'm all set because that's how many I have.I could have used the Monsoon last night because I had three skunks on my back lawn last night. They love that horse pasture area because I don't have a dog any longer so they dig for grubs in the grass. I almost stepped on one the other night putting out the trash. I thought it was a cat at first then noticed the white! :) I got within four feet of it but it just scurried away.

Time waits for no one--

#21 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:25 AM

Yep,agree......I only pump it 20 strokes...then let pump cool....takes 60 strokes to fill from 1000 psi..(I have read on the yellow forum about some having issues)....I'm looking at tank fill options....not sure yet and probably will wait till I buy another PCP....ha ha...On the skunks,just get a good welding respirator....that should make things better while disposing of them...

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

I almost bought an electric pump to fill my tanks. But the price really jumped since the dollar took a nose dive. The pump jumped from $3000 to $4000 not including shipping. Then I found a place to fill my tanks close by. So I had money to buy another gun! :) I have some welding and painting respirators and they cut the smell. But the problem is if the skunk sprays, it's a fine vapor like mist that sticks to everything it comes in contact with. And the breeze that comes though my property always puts the skunks down wind. You have to shoot and run to get out of the drift. Once you smell it you're too late. :)

Time waits for no one--

#23 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:48 AM

Many years ago a skunk got insde our dog house...luckily I had my garden hose rigged up and when he tried to spray,I hit him with the water...then shot him with my 12 ga pump...had to re-build the dog house....ha ha ha..

#24 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

Wow that is great accuracy!!! Does it take special scopes for air rifles?? I heard that if you put a good centerfire rifle scope on an air rifle, the recoil will make junk out of it in a hurry.

#25 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

Wow that is great accuracy!!! Does it take special scopes for air rifles?? I heard that if you put a good centerfire rifle scope on an air rifle, the recoil will make junk out of it in a hurry.

That only happens with the springers, Eric, not the PCP's. No recoil persay with the PCP.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:32 PM

The special scopes go on the springers or spring fired airguns. Ones like this are pneumatic or charged air and have no recoil at all or very little. So you can put anything on this type. Oops, I see Dave answered.

Time waits for no one--

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

Well all of the bad news behind here she is. I'm still not sure of which scope I want on her but for now I chose the Nikon BuckMaster 6-18X with BDC reticle. The gun sure is light. I am hoping the wind will let up and I can get a few shots out of her later tonight or first thing tomorrow. I'm a lefty but the stock could be held either way. Though I'll probably shoot it right handed as that's how I'll sight it in.Attached File  DSC_0005.jpg   48.06KB   29 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0007.jpg   42.72KB   25 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0008.jpg   79.32KB   26 downloads

Time waits for no one--

#28 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

That is nice!let us know how it shoots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users