4 replies to this topic

#1 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

I am tossing around the idea of hosting a bigbore airgun hunt dedicated to harvesting fur-bearers here in Oregon sometime early in the new year.Coyote being the primary quarry. They are completely un-regulated in Oregon. Only a hunting license is required to hunt coyote. No fur-taker license required. Out-of-state licenses are reasonable at about $75.I have yet to finalize my research as far as the other fur-bearers, though my findings thus far are very promising. I just need to confirm my findings with the fish and game department to be 100% sure on them, though the non-resident fur-takers licence is a bit steep at $176.50 so coyote would likely be the main quarry. Of course there's always nutria as well.I have found no weapons regs whatsoever for fur-bearers. So there is a good chance that they are all fair game for pursuit with airguns (beaver, bobcat, fisher, marten, mink, muskrat, otter, raccoon, red and gray fox).This would be a great opportunity for you southerners that find the winter pelts in your area to be poor, and always wanted to put a nice thick trophy hide on the wall.Any constructive feedback will be much appreciated.Butcher45

#2 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

Sounds like fun, though I bet there are restrictions for other animals beside yotes. I am in the Sacramento area, and I just hop over the hill into NV for the winter coats. They don't require a license either. I was planning an attempt at yotes with the Sumatra .25 caliber I have. Most of the yotes I call are within 75 yards. I usually let them get close enough that I can smell their breath. . .well maybe not quite that close. :roflmao3[1]: db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#3 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:28 PM

I have read the Oregon big game regulations, and the fur-bearer regulations up and down, back and forth. There are no weapons regulations for fur-bearers anywhere. I have asked trappers about it in the past and they have never heard of weapons regs. for fur-bearers, either.I'm going to call the ODFW tomorrow, and find out for sure. Though out-of-staters probably won't be to keen on paying $175 for a fur-bearers license. So coyote will be the main quarry.Think you can make it, Bozsik? Should be a lot of fun as several airgunners form across the country will likely be there.IF you are going after coyote with the .25 Sumatra, I highly suggest you get a hold of the new super-heavy slugs in .25 They weigh anywhere from 45 to 82 grains, and produce 130fpe in a souped-up Condor. They are retaining more energy at 100 yards than a 40grain .22LR going 1200fps, with greater frontal area (they are wadcutters!).

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:05 PM

Who produces the super-heavy slugs in .25? I am shooting ~36 grainers at the moment. Don't know if I can make it, though.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#5 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:45 AM

I don't remember what the name of the business is, but here is his e-mail. His name is Jerry. The slugs, and his customer service are both impeccable. Tell him Butcher sent you!jboyenga@md.metrocast.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users