#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

Just received my Discovery .22 from MAC 1 this morning...I have been very curious about noise level at muzzle compared to my other two air rifles. I used a Ametek-Dupont Audio Dosimeter and fired all three air rifles over mic.(Mic was 18" from muzzle(s)Air rifles tested: (In backyard away from house to eliminate echo,etc )Umarex 850 CO2 .177 cal = 81.9 db (Co2 tank near full)Beeman R9 DG .22 cal = 85.2 dbBenjamin Discovery .22 cal = 89.1 db ( 1800 psi on gun gauge)First impressions very positive re the Discovery and is it ever light compared to my other two air rifles...!!!Later,I will update with noise (decibal)readings at 20-25 yards from muzzle on all three. ..Must now mount scope and sight-in the Discovery plus try to get some chrony data this evening...going hunting tomorrow AM...LOLSome pictures...Discovery noise level at muzzlePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageLater...Rich

#2 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

:signbummer8tl: I have a Beeman R9 Gold Finger in .20 and I have been looking at the Discovery for some time now, but have been told it's to loud to be back yard friendly..

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,213 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:05 PM

I wonder if 18 inches is a bit too close to start. Straight Shooters uses distances of 2, 10, 25 and 50 yds for their tests. Sound dissipates quickly and the difference between 18 inches and 72 inches might make a big difference.Rick, you can pick up a shroud for the Discovery starting at $55. Should make a big different in quieting it down.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

A great comparison would be to run a sound test at the same distance with a 22 rimfire. It is easier for the club members to relate some numbers from a rimfire to that of the airgun tests results.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

Also, maybe the numbers on the spoken voice at the various distances for comparison.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

I wonder if 18 inches is a bit too close to start. Straight Shooters uses distances of 2, 10, 25 and 50 yds for their tests. Sound dissipates quickly and the difference between 18 inches and 72 inches might make a big difference.Rick, you can pick up a shroud for the Discovery starting at $55. Should make a big different in quieting it down.

I knew of Straight Shooters data...but did not know what distance they did muzzle test...(I'll retest for the 6" difference)....My 20 yard (home) range is my side yard...I already knew the echo between neighbors house and mine adds 4-5 decibels from prior tests I did on my other air rifles.....so on today's test I went up on the hill in my backyard...Later,maybe in a few days,I'll grab one of my rimfires and the Disco and go where I can test Muzzle,10,25 and 50 yards...got a range 40 miles from my home...Anyway,got scope mounted,sighted it in,and tomorrow I'm off hunting....got to get this Disco on some critters.... :nice_need_pics: I mounted a CenterPoint 4x16x40 Mil Dot IR...Posted ImageGoing to do some chrony tests this evening...

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

:nice_need_pics: I have a Beeman R9 Gold Finger in .20 and I have been looking at the Discovery for some time now, but have been told it's to loud to be back yard friendly..

It's loud all right..and 4 decibels louder is a bunch ..very noticble to me compared to my Beeman...but just for giggles,I;m going out tomorrow to hunt some rabbits/squirrels to see if they react any different...LOL...

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

The difference wouldn't be 6 inches but 54 inches farther or at 2 yards.

Here are the examples Straight Shooters gives.An Arrow T50 heavy duty stapler into a piece of wood. 97 decibelsA Swingline light duty stapler into a piece of wood. 93 decibelsA battery powered 1/2" drill. 71 decibelsClosing the door on my Ford Explorer (not slammed). 85 decibelsEmpty soda can hitting a cement floor from shoulder height. 86 decibelsOpening a full soda can. 85 decibelsThe sound of a doorbell. 71 decibels

The scope looks good. So you're taking it out on it's maiden voyage tomorrow. Good luck.

Time waits for no one--

#9 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

The difference wouldn't be 6 inches but 54 inches farther or at 2 yards.

Your right...my mistake..just looked at their site again...dumb me... :nice_need_pics: I'll do another right now at 2 yards.....Edit: 2 yards measured I got 88.7 db....I like the Centerpoint...particulary the mil dot reticle for the longer shots out 40-50 +yards...got to run some calc's tonight for baseline holdover....then I'll refine that at the range later...

#10 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

I'm envious. I talked to Roy at Mountain Air today and my check is in the mail for one of his barrel shrouds for the Disco. He says that it should drop the sound report by about 30-40%. Lets see 40% of 88db =35, leaving 53db of noise. Very Nice!

#11 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:16 PM

Also, maybe the numbers on the spoken voice at the various distances for comparison.

That's a good point, but don't use my wife cuz she is usually yelling at me for something. :roflmao3[1]: db

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

:roflmao3[1]: :rolleyes: :good:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#13 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

I'm envious. I talked to Roy at Mountain Air today and my check is in the mail for one of his barrel shrouds for the Disco. He says that it should drop the sound report by about 30-40%. Lets see 40% of 88db =35, leaving 53db of noise. Very Nice!

30-40% is a bunch...my math is not that strong but remember "Decibels" are logarithmic..(I think.)..are you getting the 6" version..?? Be great to hear some feedback from you...I've been researching this shroud stuff for awhile...also, do you have to remove the shroud to hook up the hose fitting...???? Reason I ask,one guy who makes shrouds said he also provides a modified fill cap for the disco..??? Rich

#14 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:02 PM

Heh...if you were standing 10 feet from a noise source(wife), and were to move 100 feet away from that noise source(wife), you would expect to see a drop in level of 20dB. LOL...

#15 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

Doesn't seem to make a difference, mine yells louder the further I move.db

#16 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

30-40% is a bunch...my math is not that strong but remember "Decibels" are logarithmic..(I think.)..are you getting the 6" version..?? Be great to hear some feedback from you...I've been researching this shroud stuff for awhile...also, do you have to remove the shroud to hook up the hose fitting...???? Reason I ask,one guy who makes shrouds said he also provides a modified fill cap for the disco..??? Rich

Well I must say your math is better than mine if your using words like logarithmic. I am getting the Aluminum shroud. From the looks of the photos on Roy's site the carbon fiber appears to be the longer of the three. I don't know if that answers your question. Roy sells the shrouds as a kit with a modified nipple to replace the filler connection. So in answer to that question, no the shroud stays on, the new fitting allows you to fill as normal, but the plastic end cap over the fitting will no longer fit. My check went out a couple of days ago and Roy said it usually takes about two weeks from the time he gets the check to the time you get the product. I will deffinately keep you posted. By the way, how did the bunny popping go the other day with your Disco?Mc

#17 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:24 PM

Thanks very much for the info...and I like the idea of the nipple mod....maybe a rubber boot will suffice instead of a modded fill cap..???Struck out on the bunny's...never seen one...two hot I suspect...but was scouting new area for the fall turkey hunt...seen some sign...Anyway,just before coming home I set up a bean can at 40 yards and took one shot from sitting using my sniper sticks:Posted ImagePellet exit...Posted ImagePellet entry...Posted ImageNote (I zeroed this rifle at 20 yards Monday evening.) I held on the blue "Frijoles"....I cannot say enough about the accuracy of this rifle...I used JSB Jumbo Express 14.3 GR....interesting is when I got home,the online calculator indicated a pellet drop of -0.303" at 40 yards..!!By the way,I'll post my 30 shot chrony string in a few minutes...Thanks again for the shroud info...!!Rich

#18 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

I used JSB Exact Dome's 14.3 gr for this test...(Note: you will get lower FPS results using hollowpoints such as Benjamins)This test was starting at 2000 psi fill without any re-fills for 30 shots...Beta Master Chrony...1st string..1.890.5 FPS2.902.03.907.04.904.05.907.16.908.87.915.98.912.09.911.610.903.7Lo= 890.5 HI= 915.9AV= 906.3ES= 25.4SD= 6.932nd string...(Gun guage indicates about 1250 psi)1.909.42.903.63.903.34.905.75.900.96.890.27.880.28.876.29.868.210.859.4Lo= 859.4HI= 909.4AV= 889.7ES= 49.7SD= 17.43rd string...1.853.82.842.03.831.44.822.15.809.36.798.07.778.48.762.99.742.610.723.5LO= 723.5HI= 853.8AV= 796.4ES= 130.2SD= 43.6I won't be changing/adjusting any settings re power levels as this Disco is giving me just whatI need for it's intended use...

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:01 PM

I wouldn't touch it either. That sure is a great airgun for the price. Thanks for sharing all of the info.

Time waits for no one--

#20 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

I wouldn't touch it either. That sure is a great airgun for the price. Thanks for sharing all of the info.

You betcha...great value for the money....now I have to decide if I get the Benjamin fill tank....it will fit in my hunting day tank....decisions decsions...lol....Rich

#21 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

Have not been able to take my rimfire 22's and air rifles out for noise comparison,but did learn some things about 22 rimfire noise reduction.....Ammo suppliers like Winchester are promoting sub-sonic rimfire ammo...some rated as low as 800 FPS but muzzle energy around 38 ft/lbs...it is the sub-sonic feature that lowers noise...One article described rimfire muzzle noise at around 110 db....and a guy who makes supressors for rimfire rifles claims his product can reduce rimfire noise to 65 db on sub-sonic ammo and 90 db on hyper high velocity ammo..Interesting comparison using decibel data by Straight Shooters on air rifles...

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

That is interesting. But the sub sonic stuff I have shot is much louder than either of my PCP airguns. If my Monsoon didn't have the click of the bolt loading the next pellet you would have trouble hearing it. In fact I'll bet everything I've shot with it past 50 yards didn't know they were shot at.

Time waits for no one--

#23 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:03 PM

Bozsik was interested in a rimfire/air rifle noise comparison....I'll bet that some air rifles (unsurpressed) shooting at 1200 + fps can get almost as loud as a rimfire shooting shorts..

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,213 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

They can get that loud. In fact just a springer dieseling can be that loud! I know having shot them in the house and getting oil in them.

Time waits for no one--

#25 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:01 PM

So Rich I already posted this info under another topic, so if you've read it already i'm just being redundent. i finally got to hunt with my disco the other day and got 5 bunnies with it. The ranges were from 20 to 53 yards. ( I have the Leupold laser range finder binos) 3 of the bunnies were hit on the first shot and the two that I missed I got with the second because the moderator kept the shots so quiet. The loudest noise seemed to be the "ping" of the trigger mechanism releasing. I was using the 14.3 gr. JSB jumbo exacts and it just knocked the bunnies flat. None of them got a chance to even try to crawl back to their dens. If you haven't picked up a moderator yet, I highly reccomend it.Mc

#26 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback...I appreciate that...Good shooting on the bunnies !!! I have not got a rabbit yet with the Disco..but did get a squirrel at 42 yards...I have shot some cottontails with my R9 .22 out to 45 yards....anxious to get some Jacks with the Disco soon as weather here cools below 90 f....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users