• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

Anybody else like to grab those big cockroaches from the sea?

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

I dont know if Id go grabbing them from the sea ( I dont care for sharks....) But Id sure be grabbing them from the pot LOL
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#3 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

every year like clockwork.
Jeph S"Team .223/6x47"

#4 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:27 AM

i love hoopnetting them.. i have family in torrance.. my uncles boat is in the redondo harbor we always take his dingy just inside the break wall for them... never dived for them tho, i want to but only during the daylight.. lol i like to see wuts around me lol

#5 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbiking, and Flying

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:26 AM

I used to hunt for them all the time when I was younger. Down in Kennedy's cove near La Bufadora and out in Oahu when I was stationed there. It's been like 10 years but those were good times.Doug

#6 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:48 AM

Opener of hooping season to me is just as important as opener of bobcat season, or deer season to others. We make it a big event, and since I live 4 minutes directly between 2 different harbors that produce well, I get out a lot midweek all season and avoid the weekend crowds.
Jeph S"Team .223/6x47"

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,945 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:50 AM

Jeph is the MASTER of getting California lobsters. Show them some pictures Jeph. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:21 AM

Use to get them by the bucket full on beach dives in Mexico at the time there was no limit untill you tried to bring them across the border
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#9 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

Yea I like to Chase bugs.

#10 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

Jeph is the MASTER of getting California lobsters. Show them some pictures Jeph. :roflmao3[1]:

Man, I think I left the camera at home the last 3 seasons. Here's one measly bug...Posted Image
Jeph S"Team .223/6x47"

#11 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

DANG... Okay you need to send me one or three of those to uh, um. ... Mount... I will flesh it myself thanks LOL> BTW send butter and garlic.. it helps with the mounting process :roflmao3[1]:
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,945 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

That's a nice one Jeph. :roflmao3[1]: But I've seen those other pictures you just don't want to brag.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:33 PM

When we going?

#14 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:32 PM

Nice Bug!Nothing like looking at one in an opening with one antenna looking back and one forward I never had the b@#%* to reach in as was told that antenna looking back could be at a Morey Eel :good: And I cant eat shelfish :angry2:

#15 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:52 PM

For those interested...... I'm including a Lobster recipe that I came up with when I lived in Catalina. It is a real panty dropper.Lobster Marsala1. Remove the lobster tail from the head. (I never keep the head unless the bug is 7lbs or more and I'm going to eat the meat out of the legs and then I only keep the legs. Personally I think the juices from the guts etc. in the head ruin the taste of the meat. )2. Take the Lobster tail(s) and spilt it/them into two halves.3. Place the tail(s) meat side up into a pan or dish that is just big enough to hold it/them.4. Pour Sweet Marsala wine into the pan almost up to the level of the top of the meat. ( any type of red wine will work but I have found that Sweet Marsala is the best)5. Place thin slices of butter on top of the meat.6. Place the pan/dish with the lobster into an oven that is on as high as it will go without being on broil.7. The lobster will be done when the wine is boiling and the meat is a solid white. For those who would like to brown the top of the meat you can now turn the oven up to Broil and put the meat under the broiler for a couple of minutes. 8. Pull the meat from the shell and serve with drawn butter or what ever else dipping juice you like. My girlfriend likes to mix more butter in with the wine that the lobster was cooked in and dip the meat into that.You will find that the Lobster picks up the fruitie flavor of the wine. I often freeze a good number of the tails I get and this recipe works great as it tends to rehydrate the meat. This recipe serves well with rice or a grain called Quinoa (sp?) that I get at Trader Joes.Enjoy Mc

#16 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:05 AM

I haven't tried it myself, but I hear that if you microwave the legs for 10 seconds the meat will pop out of outer shell. Anyone have success with that technique???D

#17 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

I this one of those jokes when you then throw away the lobster legs and then eat the microwave? :signlol2iu:

#18 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:09 PM

Nope. I read about it on another forum. Just wondering if anyone's tried it. It makes sense. The air inside the legs super heat and the meat pops out.D

#19 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

Hey is somebody talking about me?

Attached Files

#20 barndoor

barndoor

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:52 AM

This is how we roll.....Multiday.....4 fisherman........53 bugs...... there is 3 layers of bugs there.Our biggest ever, 13 lbs. Posted Image

#21 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • Interests:Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:39 AM

Wow, that's a lot of lobster.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#22 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

i cant wait to go out for some bugs

#23 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

has anyone done the " lobster card " yet ? I guess its new for this year . my brother and I will be going for some bugs this year . have lots of bonito for bait .

#24 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

Holy Smokes that is alot of lobster..

#25 xyourlocaldjx

xyourlocaldjx

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:15 AM

i love hoopnetting them.. i have family in torrance.. my uncles boat is in the redondo harbor we always take his dingy just inside the break wall for them... never dived for them tho, i want to but only during the daylight.. lol i like to see wuts around me lol

I'm from torrance also... Been surfing for awhile and thanks to that I've found some promising spots for hoop netting :flag: you going out this saturday? I'll be in san diego trying to catch them buggers

#26 xyourlocaldjx

xyourlocaldjx

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

AV as in antelope valley? that's quite a drive lolWe'll be in SD and you're more then welcome to come. just need a hoop net, fishing license, ocean tag, and a lobster report card.... probably a size gauge also.u2u me if you're interested, we'll be near sea world.getting there around 8 or 9 bbq'n and drinking and casting out our nets at 12:10 i believe.

#27 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

im not sure if i'll make it out this sat.. my buddy leaves for basic on monday so we are having a going away party for him. i think im going to be trying for sunday night though. so do you guys hoop during the day time? i've always been told its not worth trying during the day.. bass pro is has great deals on hoop set ups right now fyi

#28 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

DANG... Okay you need to send me one or three of those to uh, um. ... Mount... I will flesh it myself thanks LOL> BTW send butter and garlic.. it helps with the mounting process :signs1180lq:

In the mid 70's,off Solana Beach/Del Mar was down about 30 feet.Spotted a bug.Grabbed it,put it in my goodie bag.On the beach,it was a full shell.Mounted it on a sea urchin shell.Took it to work at Kraft Systems in Vista.Those ladies went nuts over it.They were Korean,Japanese,and Okinawa.Had many offers to buy it.I refused.Not everyday while diving that you get one in pristene condidtion.Was on display at the Diving Locker store in Escondido.Wasn't there last time I was in Escondido in 1982.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users