• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

Are there any other members out their that like to catch their fish on the end of a spear?

#2 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:28 AM

i've done it a few times.. i enjoy it. usually off of P.V.

#3 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

What are you going for when you go to PV? Seabass, Halibut, Lingcod? Are you using a speargun or a sling?

#4 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:48 AM

Any one rember the TV program Ski and Dive???
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#5 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

i haven't done it in a long time.. i use a sling spear, usually we dont have a plan to go for anything speacil. we free dive, and i can't really get too deep so can't really get hallibut, sometimes when a kelp pad is near we'll go for calico bass. if we see something we like to eat we'll try for it.

#6 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:27 PM

When I was in the Navy stationed at North Island, I would free dive off the beach with an Hawaiian sling. I could never get deeper than 12 feet. Could not clear my ears. I was going for Halibut but could never see their eyes before they spooked and left me is there dust. Seen lots of Halibut heading out to sea. Farther out, there were crashed aircraft that had just made it to the water before coming to rest in twenty to 35 foot water.My buddies would Scuba down there and get lots of bugs. You aways had to notify the head security office when and how many were giong to be diving that close to the island. Tough on Security around the ammo dump at the end of Noth Island. Also not a bad idea to drop off a couple of bugs back at the Security Office.

#7 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

i haven't done it in a long time.. i use a sling spear, usually we dont have a plan to go for anything speacil. we free dive, and i can't really get too deep so can't really get hallibut, sometimes when a kelp pad is near we'll go for calico bass. if we see something we like to eat we'll try for it.

You don't have to go to deep to get decent size halibut. A coworker got a 28" in about 6 feet of water this last August. It does help to have good visibility though. I have found that they usually like to hang out around some sort of stucture. When I'm going for halibut I usually like to look around jetties or reefs. They like to hang in tight next to the rocks in the sand. I try to move real slow and take my time searching the bottom for their eyes, etc. I don't cover alot of ground in one beath, but focus more on being very thurough. My favorite sling set up is a JBL take down with a barbed paralizer tip. I perfer this over a speargun when going for Halibut. I feel like I have more control when I spear a fish. When I nail a halibut with it, I can pin them to the bottom until I can get my hand around the other side to grab the end of the spear tip so the fish can't wiggle off. I have had halibut tear themselves off a speargun shaft a couple of times in the past and lost the fish.

#8 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

When I was in the Navy stationed at North Island, I would free dive off the beach with an Hawaiian sling. I could never get deeper than 12 feet. Could not clear my ears. I was going for Halibut but could never see their eyes before they spooked and left me is there dust. Seen lots of Halibut heading out to sea. Farther out, there were crashed aircraft that had just made it to the water before coming to rest in twenty to 35 foot water.My buddies would Scuba down there and get lots of bugs. You aways had to notify the head security office when and how many were giong to be diving that close to the island. Tough on Security around the ammo dump at the end of Noth Island. Also not a bad idea to drop off a couple of bugs back at the Security Office.

I had a few buddies that were Navy Seals. They use to go out to San Clemente Island quite a bit and would always come back with coolers full of Abalone and Lobster from their "training".

#9 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:56 PM

hey mackeralboy.. do you ever hoop net in redondo?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users