#1 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

Figured I should give a field report for the past couple days:Opening Day:Met up with my partner at 0430 and we head up to my blind. Got all settled in and waited for shooting hours. It gets light out and what should scoot out 20 yds in front of us? A coyote! Nothing would be cooler than to start my first deer archery season than to pop my first dog with a bow. Well, he stops, looks at the blind, and continues trotting. I draw and try to lip squeak him back. He stopped but all I could see was his head so I let him go. Godd looking dog too. Later, a hen and a poult come out for a visit. By this time, I need to answer the call of nature. Of course, this would be when the first deer of the day shows up. She snorts cos she saw me through the netting since I had gotten to close to the window. A while later, behind us to our right about 25 yds away, another deer snorts. We're sitting there wondering what happened. I realized that the side widows were open and the wind was going uphill. Windows closed. Then 4 does show up and hang out for a bit. Lead doe was a TANK! Later on that evening 5 nice toms, each with 6-8" beards come in to feed. 4 more does come in before we call it a night. Not bad for opening day.1 Coyote7 Turkey's10 DeerDay 2:I slept in a little today and didn't get into my blind til about 0715. A half hour later, an entire flock of toms and jakes waddle down the hillside. Didn't see my first deer til about 1645. A single yearling doe. Then a family consisting of a mature doe, a yearling doe (probably her offspiring), and a spotted fawn. They leave and return later on. Next to show is another family plus one fawn, "the twins" as my wife has called them. Well the twins got smacked upside the head for trying to get in mom's way of the salt lick. By now it's about 1920 and things get interesting. I'm kinda switching my position to stretch my legs and I spot a deer. It's a buck! And then another follows closely behind. It's the 4x4 and 3x2 from the trail cam pics. My hear is racing. I slowly pick up my bow and clip the release on. The smaller buck made his way over to the salt lick with the bigger one taking his time. Finally, the 8 point walks up and turns broadside at 20 yds!!!! So I draw, get the 20 yd pin on target, and let her fly.....right over the bucks back! I was stunned. I know I was on him. But I missed. The deer bolt about 20 yds further away, and stop to look around. I thought about flinging another arrow, but they don't seem that spooked and they might come back. No luck. They mosey up the hillside. So I wait a bit to make sure they are gone and get out. I find my arrow with not a speck of blood. At least it was a clean miss. So that's that. first time shooting at a buck and I choke. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

Woops, back to the shooting blocks. Sounds like a good couple of days. Sounds like it's going to be pretty easy to get your gobbler. That's good news. And the bucks will come back. Didn't sound like you scared them too badly.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:36 PM

Hang in there I bet you get him. Great first day.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

Did you get any pictures or video the first day?

#5 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

Any news???? :signs1180lq:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#6 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbiking, and Flying

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

:signs1180lq:

#7 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply. Been out every day. Haven't seen a buck since Tuesday evening. All I've seen are does, fawns, and turkey's. Each passing day its getting harder and harder not to take a doe. I actually drew on one last night and could have killed her easily. She was a big doe. Tonight is my last night before headed back to work which then restricts me to weekends. I'm not sure what to do. Take the 99% guarenteed meat, or wait for the horns.

#8 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

Wait for the horns. Seems to be a fair number of does there, so wait until the last day and take one then.
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#9 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

x2. I passes on several small forked horns last year and towards the end of the season I was starting to second guess my decision. But with about a week left, I bagged my 3x3. If you're seeing does on a regular basis then I wouldn't rush it. Half of the fun is being in the field anyways.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:55 PM

You went into this wanting a buck. Hold out for one and then stick a doe at the end of your season.

#11 Slix

Slix

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, going out to pismo with the quads and dirt bike, anything outdoors. Traveling, meeting new people and new places, paintball and golf.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:58 AM

Hey SpokaneSlayer, what zone was this at? was it private lands? Good Luck.

#12 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:36 AM

A way northern zone. Washington State. :signbummer8tl:
Handmade Calls by Braz

#13 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think I'm refocused now, LOL! And Braz is correct Slix, I'm in WA state. Not for much longer though, but that's another story for another post. :signbummer8tl:

#14 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:41 AM

Keep at it and good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users