44 replies to this topic

#31 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

but since u guys are talking about jeeps anyone have a good running one, dont care what it looks like but, ill trade u for my 4wheel drive quad?? lol since i cant use it too much down here especially for hunting maybe i should get rid of it. sure fun to drive though and climbs like a dream robert
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#32 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:10 PM

I found mine on autotrader.com for a GREAT price! Now comes the fun part, finding some BF Goodrich All Terrain tires for it. Nobody carries them in P240/70R15. Anyone know of an alternate size I can put on there with the same rims? Looking for them in Southern California.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#33 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

Have you tried Costco or Tire Rackhttp://www.tirerack.com/indexA.jsp

#34 SteveB

SteveB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:11 PM

America's Tire has BFG's in P225/75R15 and P245/70R15 which will work on your Jeep, they call them AWD and look like they have an aggressive footprint. Their All Terrains have done well on my pickup.

#35 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:54 PM

man, i guess i cant even get rid of the quad lol. if i didnt live in california i wouldnt even think of getting rid of it i hate california
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#36 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:18 AM

America's Tire has BFG's in P225/75R15 and P245/70R15 which will work on your Jeep, they call them AWD and look like they have an aggressive footprint. Their All Terrains have done well on my pickup.

Thanks Steve! Will have to give them a call. Discount Tire didn't have them in my size (at least from what I can tell). Was going to try Costco later today, but I do need an alignment job at the same time, so I will call America's Tire today.DarrenBeen reading reviews, and am going to get a slightly bigger tire. Going up to a 30-950/R15 tire. All things being equal would you guys recommend the Goodyear Wrangler or the BF Goodrich T/A KO tire? Everyone that has done more recent reviews complains about the treadwear and noise from the BF Goodrich tires, which does concern me.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#37 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:26 AM

Check Craigslist might find some wheels and tires on there for a decent price.

#38 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

Been reading reviews, and am going to get a slightly bigger tire. Going up to a 30-950/R15 tire. All things being equal would you guys recommend the Goodyear Wrangler or the BF Goodrich T/A KO tire? Everyone that has done more recent reviews complains about the treadwear and noise from the BF Goodrich tires, which does concern me.Darren

D-man, careful how large a tire you go to. The larger your tire choice the lower your RPM's will be at the same speed. Example..if you are running stock tires (245/70-15) at 65mph and your RPM's read 2000, by going to 30x9.50-15 your RPM's might be something like 1850. This may not sound like much but you might take your Jeep out of it's optimum power/economy range. Your engine/transmission will work harder to stay at 65mph thus getting worse fuel mileage. This will all depend on your final drive gear ratio (located on the driver door near the latch on most Jeeps). Also, when going to larger tires, you need to be aware of tire to body clearances. Jeeps are great articulating machines when offroad. If you have too large a tire, you will hear all kinds of rubber making contact with the body. By the way the metric 245/70-15 equates to a 28.5" diameter x 9.6" wide x 6.7" tall sidewall for American Standard tires. The 30x9.50-15 is a good replacement size but double check the gear ratio or have your tire guy explain it to you. Toyo tires has the Open Country AT tires in the size you want. They are quieter that the BFG's and Goodyears and are also less expensive. My :roflmao3[1]:
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#39 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

Fakawee nice rig what else have you dont do you have on board air. What type of locker you run?

#40 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

My wife calls the Jeep my money pit!!! I call her Ruby! I've done so many things to it that I've lost track. No, actually I probably only have about 5 G's in accessories. I've got a Viair onboard compressor system with a 2 gallon tank and 40 feet of coiled air lines but I also carry a portable Viair compressor as a back up in case someone needs to use one and I can't get close to them. I run ARB air lockers on both front and rear diffs because I want to know when they are engage unlike Detroit Lockers, sometimes they're engaged, sometimes they're not. Did alot of homework on the lockers. I also have a 10,000 lb remote controlled winch on the front. Someone told me that it was overkill to have a winch with that much pulling power until they witnessed me pull a tow truck out from a snow covered ditch. Every Jeep should have a HiLift jack also. That jack has saved my buddies so many times. I also manufactured a sand anchor like the one Cabela's and Bass Pro shops sells but mine is larger and is driven into the ground with my short 5lb sledge. It's come in handy in the desert a couple of times. I installed all the accessories myself with the help of my son-in-law for the heavy stuff like the bumpers and winch. I just installed FabTech drive shafts front and rear to replace the ones that came with my lift kit. I snapped the rear drive shaft on the Rubicon trail this last May and had to weld it to drive home. The FabTechs are 3 times stronger. Now something else will snap instead. Oh well, nice thing about Jeeps is that there are tons of accessories out there and most are easily installed by you if you have the tools and know how to use them. They all came with instructions, some easy, some frustrating but all fun. Get to know your vehicles gents and ladies. It may save you from having that long walk back to the highway.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#41 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:14 PM

Mine has the new electronic solenoid Lockers front and rear no air leaks to worry about :angry2: High lift track jack and old folding army shovel and off we go!

#42 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:02 AM

Interesting information. What kind of warranty will I be able to get on the Toyo tires? I need to find them in the local area to be able to get them on.I just checked the Toyo site and they don't have them in 245/70R15. They do have the other size listed though. Darren

#43 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:37 PM

Mine has the new electronic solenoid Lockers front and rear no air leaks to worry about :) High lift track jack and old folding army shovel and off we go!

My Ruby came with electronic solenoids too. Make sure you keep a close eye on the switches though because mine became so hot that it melted the switch and almost caught fire. Another reason I carry 3 small fire extinguishers on board. I don't know what year your Jeep is but they had a major problem with the switches that controlled the lockers, overdrive, rear window wipers (hardtop of course) and rear defrosters. My Ruby is a 2005 but the problem existed with the 2002-2006 models. There won't be any air leaks from my lockers because I replaced the lines with high pressure, stainless steel coated brake lines that I custom made from a hydraulic accessories wholesaler. Each foot of line cost me $4 and the custom stainless steel fittings were another $6 each. The reason I'm using stainless steel coated lines is that anything that can come into contact with rocks, dirt, bushes etc.... can and will get ripped off-including electrical wires. I watched a rock crawling competition once and decided that most of them used either cable activated lockers or air lockers. The guys with the air lockers had the cleanest looking set-ups and they functioned extremely well. Another reason for going to the ARB air lockers is that the standard Jeep Rubicon electronic lockers are controlled by a computer. In 4Lo with the lockers engaged, you cannot exceed 12+ mph! The computer will unlock the lockers when you need them most like getting a run up a slippery hill or cruising the sand dunes or like me-crossing a mud lake that looked dry! When I realized I was sinking in the mud, I put the pedal to the metal and sure enough, the lockers unlocked when I needed them most. The computer also will not allow you to engage your lockers while in 4Hi. That system is flawed but I realize that Jeep has to cover their rear ends from lawsuits and such. Do you have the accessory kit for your Hi-Lift jack yet? It allows you to use it as a come-a-long and all other things. Pretty neat!!!

#44 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

I just checked the Toyo site and they don't have them in 245/70R15. They do have the other size listed though. Darren

Sorry D-man! I meant to say that they have the Toyo's in size 30x9.50/15's. I believe they are good for 40,000+ miles. The warranty will depend on where you get them from. Most tire shops offer replacement warranties if something happens to them in less than the normal wear expectancy of the tires. If you're going to be driving mostly on road, I would stay away from aggressive tire treads as they usually don't last long, make more noise than you want and they are not very fuel efficient. Although my Ruby is my daily driver, I use it on weekends to hunt the back country so I installed the new ProComp Xtreme Mud Terrain Radials because I like the 3 ply sidewalls and 6 ply carcass for puncture resistance when offroad. I can also lower the tire pressures below 10psi to climb over most obstacles and float over sand. The tires are on the noisy side and if I didn't have the headers, full 2 1/2" exhaust system and complete cold air intake system, my mileage would be less than 16mpg. As it stands now, I manage to get 18-19mpg on the highway and about 14mpg in the urban streets. Heck, I'd probably get 20+ on the highway if I had regular All Terrain tires on her.

#45 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

Here's my Jeep on a shelf I found in Sandstone Canyon. Some of you Socal offroaders probably recognize this canyons rock slabs!Attached File  1.jpg   21.88KB   21 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users