44 replies to this topic

#1 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

Just bought a used 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Will have to order another CPC sticker to go on this one as well. With the land in Nevada and hunting season coming up, wanted a 4x4 vehicle to use. Has 170K miles on it, and we picked it up for a decent price. Interior is in great shape. Need to get some lockers on it soon, and do some other work to it in short amount of time to make it really off road ready. Suspension is good, already has the tow package on it, and will step up to some better tires. Still a good all around vehicle that will work great for years to come!Will post some pictures of it in a bit.Darren

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

Check out this website.http://www.nagca.com/forum/index.php

#3 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:00 PM

Thanks! Turns out I have a 249, which will make things interesting.Darren

#4 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:15 PM

Grats :good: Sounds like it will sure get the job done.... Post some pics soon ;)

#5 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:51 PM

I just traded my 95 Wrangler for a 97 Grand Cherokee with 58K on it in perfect condition. I'm please with it. It's a standard Larado, but has all the options available for the standard edition. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:29 PM

Mine is a Laredo as well. Just need to put some better tires on it, and do an alignment job. Beyond that, everything seems good.Darren

#7 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:34 AM

Yes I do have a Jeep just giving you a hard time 04 RubiconAttached File  1.jpg   23.1KB   18 downloads

#8 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:35 AM

I know you do! Been hunting with you in it. heheheDarren

#9 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:33 AM

Come on D-Man and post up a picture of the new ride.

#10 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:27 AM

Here you go!It has a 249 transmission and either a GM / Chrysler 7.5 10 bolt transfer case on it.Darren

Attached Files

#11 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

Looks good. Body looks real clean. I wish my were white. A whole lot cooler in the summer, and doesn't show the dirt as much as that darned dark green.Is it full time 4WD, with only 4WD hi - Neutral - 4WD low on the transfer case?

#12 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:16 AM

Nice Jeeps guys! Now I'm gonna have to snap a picture of mine and post it up! :)

#13 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:35 AM

Looks good. Body looks real clean. I wish my were white. A whole lot cooler in the summer, and doesn't show the dirt as much as that darned dark green.Is it full time 4WD, with only 4WD hi - Neutral - 4WD low on the transfer case?

That is correct. What is yours? Seems to work just fine so far. Been driving it around town. Need to put some BF Goodrich All Terrain tires on it and do a front end alignment. Will have my mechanic go over the transmission, engine, and other parts to make sure I didn't miss anything major. Very clean Jeep which I am pleased about.Darren

#14 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

Will have to order another CPC sticker to go on this one Darren

Where do you get the sticker from

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

Right here: CPC DECALS

#16 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

That is correct. What is yours? Seems to work just fine so far. Been driving it around town. Need to put some BF Goodrich All Terrain tires on it and do a front end alignment. Will have my mechanic go over the transmission, engine, and other parts to make sure I didn't miss anything major. Very clean Jeep which I am pleased about.Darren

Nice Jeep D-man! The pics are great. Just one thing concerns me though...it has a different make tire on the front. This usually indicates the seller was trying to hide a problem that the older tire would've given away such as poor alignment or suspension problems. I'm glad to hear that you will have a mechanic go over the Jeep. If I can make a suggestion-have him replace all the fluids in the drivetrain (transmission, transfer case, and front and rear differentials). Whether the seller says they already had it done-do it anyway for your peace of mind. After you get those done and get your new tires on it, find an area where you can test out your 4x4 system. Some of those Cherokees are driven on nothing but pavement and rarely use 4x4. Shifting from 4HI to Neutral to 4LO will become easier and smoother the more you use it unless you have AWD. I would still change those fluids first. I've had alot of used Jeep (all CJ's and now TJ's) and even the wife's cars-I've learned from past nightmares to change those drivetrain fluids first thing. Ah Jeep, the best 4 letter word in the dirt-keep it rolling D-man! :)

#17 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:35 PM

D-Man, I've got the same transfer case as you. I had a bit of a problem going to 4WD-lo. It wouldn't go in. I posted on that forum and found I was just reading over the method in the owners manual. You are suppose to me moving at 1 or 2 mph, shift the gear shift to neutral, and then shift the transfer case. I love the all wheel drive, it seems to work great. I've had it out where it works just fine. Nothing difficult, just necessary.Fakawee, at what milage should one replace the serpentine belt? I've got 58k on it and not surfe when it should be replaced.

#18 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:14 PM

Jeep what can you say Love my Rubicon Attached File  IMG_0063.jpg   58.37KB   79 downloads

#19 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:17 PM

Stan, yours is a nice one as well. How is the life with the new kid going?Darren

#20 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:14 PM

Nice rigs guys! My hunting rig is a Toyota Corrolla. You would be surprised where I go with that thing. =) But I miss my truck thats for sure.

#21 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:12 AM

You and I need to quit playing phone tag and get out again soon! A couple other guys are wanting to get out on a trip in the next couple of weeks before general rifle season begins.Darren

#22 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

I would love to go out for a hunt. My schedule is crazy at the moment. I started my Post Bac Pre Med at USC and I have 3 different jobs. If all goes well I will be hunting this Sunday. =) Let me know when you can head out and perhaps we can organize something soon. I still need to get my Tika bloody.

#23 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:33 PM

D-Man, I've got the same transfer case as you. I had a bit of a problem going to 4WD-lo. It wouldn't go in. I posted on that forum and found I was just reading over the method in the owners manual. You are suppose to me moving at 1 or 2 mph, shift the gear shift to neutral, and then shift the transfer case. I love the all wheel drive, it seems to work great. I've had it out where it works just fine. Nothing difficult, just necessary.Fakawee, at what milage should one replace the serpentine belt? I've got 58k on it and not surfe when it should be replaced.

Braz, most mechanics will tell you to replace it every 30,000 miles. If you're on a budget, like most of us are, replace it when you "visibly see small dry cracks" appearing in the rubber. You will generally have less than 1,000 miles or less to change it. I would guess that you probably have a fair amount of cracks on your belt by now. I replaced the one on my '05 Rubicon at 38,800 miles but I also do a lot of offroading in dusty and sometimes muddy conditions, all of which accelerates wear. Also, if you hear the belt "squeal", that means it's time to get a new one. There are a number of online sites that can explain how to change the belt yourself if you want to learn. Autozone, Pep Boys, Kragens also sells "belt tensioner pulley" tools for Jeeps at a fair price. This tool allows you to pull the tension "off" of the belt to make your own belt changing a breeze. Oh, while you have the belt off, take a moment to turn your powersteering pump, smog pump and A/C compressor by hand to see if they are binding anywhere before you put the new belt on. Any binding in any of those units will give you some terrible gas mileage. Just make sure you get the proper length belt "before" you remove the old one. :roflmao3[1]:

#24 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:54 PM

Thanks. I do want to change the belt before I take it out hunting. I sure don't want or need a problem way back in the mountains when I am out there all alone. My problem is the folks I bought it from did a great job of taking care of stuff, by my looking at it, but they have NO records of anything done. The seller took it to a shop a few hundred miles before I bought it and did about $1000 worth of work. Unfortunately, she didn't keep any of the paper work. I want to talk to here and find out where she took it and contact them to see if they can tell me what they did. If I can't determine is the belts and hoses were changed, they will be before hunting season. Just insurance and being safe.

#25 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

Yea, one should carry spares of everything you can think of that will go wrong! I carry spare parts, nuts and bolts, loctite sealers, tools... you name it, I probably carry it. I even carry a portable welder that runs off my alternator so I can do on the trail fixes, which I had to do up on the Rubicon trail in May. Oh before I forget, here's a picture of my Jeep!Attached File  1.jpg   22.8KB   9 downloadsThey sure are alot of fun and the "Ultimate Hunting Vehicles" :roflmao3[1]:

#26 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

But I'm not a "wheeler", just what the 4WD in case it gets a bit steep, a bit loose or a bit muddy. I just want it to get back out again. But you are right, a few extra parts are nice. But I'm not a mechanic, so I don't attempt to do any of the work myself. So, the parts aren't really of much value to me. That's why I want to have it done first.

#27 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

My Jeep is as reliable as I can make it. I've replaced stock items with heavier duty items and done whatever I can to make sure I can make it home but Murphy's law still plays havoc on you when you least expect it. If I didn't carry a shovel, sure enough, I'd get stuck in a spot out in the middle of nowhere and not be able to dig out. I usually go back into areas where only another Jeep or similar sized 4x4 would go-this usually means less hunting pressure and I also don't have to walk as far as if I would've left my vehicle on a "safe trail". It can be a long walk out if you break down in some of the areas I go to (no cell phone signals either).

#28 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:22 AM

That's stuck Jeep is an easy one to get out. I've gotten several people out of that jam before. I wonder how much that person paid someone to get that Jeep unstuck. They probably had to walk a ways too.

#29 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

It sat there for a few Months then it was gone the longer it was there the more parts started to dissapear and windows got broken out ect.

#30 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

really, it was probably stolen i guess. i was lking a jeep well my wife showed it to me. it was in nice shape with 63 thou on it. the engine look cleaned and they said a women owned it. well, it was 8000 dollars. so, i lifted up the rad cap and it had oil dripping off the cap?? my wife goes, well maybe they lubed the spring in it??? what do u guys think??? i didnt buy it although i thought about it. as soon as i looked at it and said something to sales guy they took it off the lot as soon as i said no thanks. robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users