Photo

California game birds you can hunt with an airgun...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

I was doing some checking recently and found it is legal to hunt pheasant, quail, and turkey in California with an air rifle. I knew of the turkey but wasn't sure of the other two. But the odd thing is you can't shoot doves with anything other than a bow and arrow or a shotgun. They said it was because they are migratory game birds. Odd but true.

#2 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

That is a tough area to research...I've found that if the Feds say a certain species(bird) is migratory...you need a federal permit,or state,or the "migratory bird" is protected...I get crossed eyed reading the regs...:yikes[1]:

#3 DKOwen

DKOwen

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:38 PM

But the odd thing is you can't shoot doves with anything other than a bow and arrow or a shotgun. They said it was because they are migratory game birds.

This is a true rumor, or so I'm told. MIgratory birds are covered by one or more of four treaties (in the Dove case, it's the one with Mexico). They, therefore, fall under Federal regulations which as of yet don't recognize airgun hunting. Since States must support the higher laws, there you go.An interesting sidelight is Crows. Tha American Crow seems to be an exception....perhaps. One 'read' of the California Regs seems to say airguns are OK, in another place is seems not. It may be that is because they are recognized as pests that tend to roost in one area and not leave it?Anyway, no Doves with airguns. That part's clear. There is otherwise a lot of upland game birds available.Doug Owen

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

If you want some additional reading you can go here:Guide to Migratory Bird Laws and Treaties

#5 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

I was doing some checking recently and found it is legal to hunt pheasant, quail, and turkey in California with an air rifle. I knew of the turkey but wasn't sure of the other two. But the odd thing is you can't shoot doves with anything other than a bow and arrow or a shotgun. They said it was because they are migratory game birds. Odd but true.

Gee John, I always use a bow and arrow to hunt doves, don't you? :yikes[1]: db

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

I used to Dave, but I really liked those Dodo birds and look what happened to them. :yikes[1]:

#7 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

I used to Dave, but I really liked those Dodo birds and look what happened to them. :yikes[1]:

Marinate? or BBQ sauce? :yikes[1]:

#8 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

So then can I hunt dove with my upland bird stamp or do I have to buy a migratory bird stamp?

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:21 AM

You only need the migratory stamps for water birds , ducks ,gees and snipe ect. You do not need them for doves or crows .

#10 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:09 PM

You only need the migratory stamps for water birds , ducks ,gees and snipe ect. You do not need them for doves or crows .

Phew.Thanks

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

That's correct but it is funny the way the laws are written. Are you taking your bow and arrow tomorrow? :yikes[1]:

#12 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:55 AM

That's correct but it is funny the way the laws are written. Are you taking your bow and arrow tomorrow? :signs1180lq:

THat reminds me I can't remember the guys name but he has a hunting show and he is a bit odd. He was hunting geese with the old fashion bow and arrow.Finally on the last show (of the third season trying) - he nailed one.Not a real good shooting percentage and a lot of work retrieving the arrows.Why would our govnt think that we would shoot dove that way..

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:00 AM

Why does the government think the way it does anyway? :signs1180lq:

#14 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:32 AM

THat reminds me I can't remember the guys name but he has a hunting show and he is a bit odd. He was hunting geese with the old fashion bow and arrow.Finally on the last show (of the third season trying) - he nailed one.Not a real good shooting percentage and a lot of work retrieving the arrows.Why would our govnt think that we would shoot dove that way..

That is the Tred Barta show. That guy is a little odd to put it mildly!Darren

#15 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:33 AM

Why does the government think the way it does anyway? :good:

totally nuts.I just saw a tv advertisement where the gov. is giving away coupons for tv converter boxes for folks that "can't affort to upgrade their tv to digital?"brilliant. Several years noticet to save up maybe 100 bucks but I still have to subsidize it.On the flip side in the original condor lead free ban there was something about coupons for hunters to compensate for the additional cost of lead free ammunition. When someone asked about it - the answer came back that said there was no funding for it.The zone is right up the street from me where I like to go. Never ever seen a condor.... :signs1180lq: Why aren't you out busting doves?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users