7 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

was creating fires and was the problem ever resolved? As I recall it was the new twin turbo engines that was having problems.

#2 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

It was the 08 models with the new '08 EPA emmisions controlled engines. 6.4L diesels if I remember correctly. Readily identifiable in a Ford by looking at the exhaust pipe. If it looks like a flame thrower with two tips... that is it.Some 07 models may have the same stuff, I've an 07 class 8 truck with the 08 engine and associated engine... and engine problems.The new diesels of all manufacturers are having MAJOR issues with the madatory new EPA regs. We have had more downtime with the 08 on highway engines than everything else combined. Honestly, it will break some smaller or independent truckers. The engines are always having issues and the pickups engines are no exception. Always in the shop. I'm all for clean air, but the downtime is killing me. My advice, if you want a diesel rig, get a slightly used 06 or 07 without the diesel particulate filter. They are cheap right now anyway. As it turns out the soccer mom didn't need a four door one ton to get the groceries... ;)Oh, and they did a 'fix' with the engine computer to stop the flames coming out the exhaust, but there are other issues yet to be resolved. The 08 squeeze I have has had somewhere around 8 'fixes' done to it now, and it still doesn't get the same mileage as the 04 model.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#3 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

Exactly why I bought my Duramax in '05 (although it still has a catalytic convertor and an EGR). It was only a matter of time before they went after the pickups since they started cracking down on the diesel trucks back in '03. At this rate it's not going to be long before we'll be using mule teams again. :signbs1zn: Curious, are the '08 Ford diesels still from Navistar or are they Ford's own "new & improved" engines?
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

Thanks. I've decided I am not a "car" guy and want to get rid of it for a truck. I've looked at several SUV's and trucks in the last few days. I like the extra ground clearance on the Ford's, the extra room in the back on the quad cabs, and the mirrors. Not to mention lifting the IFS on the GM stuff can be a pain. The GM employee pricing going on right now has the new Duramax trucks down to around $40-43K.

#5 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:50 AM

The GM employee pricing going on right now has the new Duramax trucks down to around $40-43K.

Not sure which package you're looking at but I paid $35k for my crewcab shortbed 4x4 Duramax with employee pricing. It's not the fancy model with leather & heated seats but it still has power windows/locks/seats/mirrors, CD player, A/C, tilt, cruise, etc.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#6 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

only trucks to own are leather sunroof navi and what ever option is left, lolI am waiting for the v6 1/2 ton diesels, very excited about these, If they are what they are trying to be it will be a 25+ mpg 1/2 ton with some gutsIf these are no good then I will just put a 4bt in a old 1/2 ton and get the mileage by building it myself in the shopBrandon

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:06 PM

I am still looking. I really like the extra room in the Ford but the engine woe's concern me. Plus the warranty is better on the GM and the employee pricing and rebates right now have the prices down $15,000 on some trucks.

#8 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

I'm looking at a Ford right now for an extra rig on the farm. Maybe even for me to drive as my old trusty Chev (289,000 hard miles) is having a few issues right now. I hate changing pickups (too much work cleaning all my junk out and putting it in another rig!) but I don't like it dying on me at 4 am while checking irrigation water either!Anyway used rigs are cheeeeeeeeeeaapp right now. And Some of the ealier Fords with the 6.0L diesel had some problems but the later ones are supposed to be good. I'm looking at an 06 Ford and might go look at a 07 Duramax tomorrow. As long as you get a pre 08 model I wouldn't let the engine problems worry me too much. These diesels should run forever (and have for me) unless you chip them and add big tires, run the heck out of them, etc.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users