12 replies to this topic

#1 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:40 AM

Some of you have used the Nikon Primos line and had good things to say. I am looking for a scope for my AR and was going with a Nikon. (any one who had not tried one should! Great glass) Anyway, I have a buckmaster on my tikka. I don't really use the side focus, but I get it is nice to have. (if needed) I am not able to get "deals" on the primos line, but they are on sale for as low as $200 onlne. I can get the model number 6320 3x9x40 (bdc matte) for $125. (out the door- cheapest I found online was $160 plus shipping/tax) The buckmaster would not be that much more, maybe $160? Has anyone researched these and can save me some time? Pros and cons? My first thought is that for $125 the prostaff would be great for a carry-around rifle like my AR. Should I go with 40 or bump it up to 50? (3-9x50) I hunt yotes in the early AM and evening, more light would be nice. There should be plenty of room on the AR right?

#2 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:10 AM

The Primos one is the Monarch from last year, it does around 95% light transmission and has the BDC. Pro Staff has 90% light transmission, and the Buckmaster falls in the middle. All have a lifetime warranty. I have the Primos on my Mini-14 and my daughter has the Pro Staff (with BDC) on her 7mm-08. Biggest difference is in very low light conditions. You can pick up the Primos one from Mid South Shooters for right around $209. Other nice thing is the elevation / windage adjustments on the Primos are nicer then on the Pro Staff. All great scopes though.Darren

#3 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:20 AM

The Primos is $200 though. I could probaby get a Monarch for that. (or get a buckmaster for $40 less) What about the 40 vs 50? I am assuming that bigger is better? :rolleyes:I went with a 40 on my tikka because it came with rings and anything larger than 40 would have required taller rings. But the AR should have plenty of room. (and since I need rings anyway i can order taller ones)

#4 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:47 AM

The Primos is a Monarch is my point. I like the 40mm as you don't high mount rings to mount it on the rifle. The eye relief is great on that scope, and very clear optics. It also matters where your eye naturally settles when you have your cheek weld on the stock. Go look through one at a store and you will see what I mean. Nothing wrong with the Pro Staff or the Buckmaster. As I have both Pro Staff and the Primos just giving you my observations.Darren

#5 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:08 AM

14754 NIK 6430 BKMASTER 3-9X50 PLX MT $246.99 48840 NIK 6319 PROSTAFF 3-9X50 PLX RT $187.99 Those are the prices for the 50's. (out the door) I have a 6-18x40 buckmaster now and I like it. I have shot that and switched over to a leupold and like the Nikon better. (the guy that owned the leup likes the Nikon better too) I was just wondering if I'd get better visability in early mornings and evening.

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:48 AM

The Primos is a Monarch is my point. I like the 40mm as you don't high mount rings to mount it on the rifle. The eye relief is great on that scope, and very clear optics. It also matters where your eye naturally settles when you have your cheek weld on the stock. Go look through one at a store and you will see what I mean. Nothing wrong with the Pro Staff or the Buckmaster. As I have both Pro Staff and the Primos just giving you my observations.Darren

Darren, On the AR's you HAVE to have the higher rings. I originally went with medium rings cause I wanted the scope to be closer to barrel (the way I have always done it with hunting rigs). But, the way the stock for the AR is, it's straight back. I was finding myself having to force my face down on the stock to see. Once I got the X-High rings, it became a very fast cheek weld and the scope is just in the right place. Scopes end up being a good distance apart from the barrel on these, but I don't see how it can be avoided.

#7 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:55 AM

40 VS 50... lets hear the deal? I don't pretend to know what the real benefit is. If you look through a 40 and then sight in the same thing, in the same light with a 50 can you tell? Are you like; WOW, THAT IS THE BEST THING EVER! or more like; yeah, that is cool.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:24 PM

There isn't a real benefit. The 50mm does gather more light than a 40mm, but not enough that you can tell the difference with your eyes. Save money and buy the 40.

#9 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:46 AM

Hey Heath, you do a lot of night hunting- is there a scope (reticle) that I should look at that would be better for night hunts? (and still would well for day) I have not tried night hunting yet but would like to. If I am getting a new scope, might as well get one that would work for both?

#10 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:45 AM

The BDC works well for both. Really at night you just center your scope on the eyes if you are just hunting with red light. With a brighter light that allows you to see further, it tends to spook the animals, unless you can vary the power.Darren

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

For night time work a standard duplex reticle is pretty much the standard. I've used a B&C reticle as well as the BDC at night and much prefer the standard duplex to anything non-illuminated I've used. Of course light gathering properties are important for night time work but a good quality glass with a 40mm objective works great. The Bushnell 3200 or higher make GREAT night hunting optics and can be found for a great price.Personally I only take head shots when I have no other choice such as the body is behind something obstructing my shot. That head of theirs tends to swivel around quite a bit. With a little practice on the shoters part, a good light and a good spot lighter job you will be able to see the body just fine for a shot.

#12 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:18 PM

how do you guys know the primos are the monarchs of last year????? where did you get that type on info? from reliable sources or just a rumor on internet

#13 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:42 AM

From talking to Will Primos at the SHOT show as well as the Nikon Guide rep at the SHOT show whose booths were just a few yards apart from each other :)I don't know if you count those as reliable or not.Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users