21 replies to this topic

#1 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:28 PM

I'm looking to buy a hunting backpack. With out much to look at around town, I'm forced to buy online going by mearly a description. What I want is, hydration system, lots of pockets, a way to attatch my rifle, a place for my handgun holster on the belt, and 200 to 2500 ci storage capacity. I'm thinking this is my favorite so far, but I don't know about my holster mounting to the waist belt.Posted ImageDo you have a favorite pack that I may want to check out?

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

Not sure what you have posted there but here is one that may fit the bill. http://www.crookedho...p;products_id=2I personally wouldn't want my handgun strapped to the back pack. I would rather be able to take the pack off and still have the handgun with me. Just my opinion.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

http://www.eberlestock.com/index.html

#4 Hutch

Hutch

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

http://www.badlandspacks.com/superday.phpTake a look at these.

#5 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:06 PM

Crooked Horn Outfitters makes some really great back packs.

#6 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

I've used this now for 2 years...love it. The Camelback Commander.

#7 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

You MUST seriously consider purchasing a Badlands pack. These are among the finest packs available for sportsmen. These packs are completely warranted for life. You can drag it for 10 miles behind your truck, send it in and they will fix it free. No joke. They want to know what their packs are going through so they can make better and better packs.When purchasing a pack, ask yourself, how many times do you want to make this purchase. if the answer is "one", then you need a badlands pack. Because of their warranty, its the last backpack you will ever buy. I've got the 2200.

#8 DesertTom

DesertTom

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

I'll add another vote for BADLANDS PACKS. :flag:

#9 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:07 AM

Anything but Military Issue :flag:

#10 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:57 PM

If you want to find one that doesn't have the hydration pack (which sometimes marks up the price for no real reason) you can always buy a 2 or 3 liter bladder online for $20 or less and secure it inside the pack. I have done this before to save $50 on a backpacking semi-external frame pack.One other thing worth mentioning...the backpacks with gun mounts tend to leave me desiring a little more options. In my experience they tend to leave the gun mounted skyhigh which constantly gets caught in trees and brush. if you could find one that mounted to the side of the pack, it might give you more options, or, you could find a pack with molle webbing or cinch locations in which you can "fab" up your own mounting locations as I have done on two of my packs.

#11 rem270

rem270

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Hunting fishing camping Photography

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:10 AM

http://www.badlandspacks.com/superday.phpTake a look at these.

X2 you can't beet them i have 4 different one there awesome..

#12 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:00 PM

I cannot find a local dealer anywhere that carries a complete line of Badlands or Eberelstock hunting packs. Is there a tradeshow in the OC area that companies might have em available so I can try em all on before making a selection?

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

It's in OC, but BassPro has a good selection of Elberstock. They might have badlands, but I didn't look for them.

#14 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:08 PM

I just called em (it's a long drive for me) and they only have one model in the store (according to the guy I spoke to) which was a Eberlestock Tred Barta signature pack. I cannot locate it on the Eberlestock website so I assume it is a version of one of their standard packs. Sad what happened to ole Tred...hope he recovers.

#15 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

I had a holster made by Blade Tech for me and it includes a 2 inch drop down from the belt. That way its on my belt and the pack straps can fit around my waist without interfering with my sidearm. Check Blade Tech out:http://www.blade-tec...op-pr-1163.htmlAs for a day pack I got the badlands Diablo the other pack I was looking at was the crooked horn outfitters Master guide II but I wanted something smaller and Badlands has a great warranty.

#16 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:38 AM

I have rigged all of my rifle slings so that they can attach to any of my packs. Bought some plastic clips. Then bought some strap material from the hardware store (1"). With a bit of sewing, the clips attach (quick release type) to the pack and to my sling. It rides cross wise with the barrel of the rifle up by my right shoulder, and the stock down by my left hip. This way my hands are free and I can have my rifle quickly in my hand (less then 5 seconds to be on target). Works great up in the mountains. Plus with that rig, my .45 in the shoulder holster is not blocked at all. If anyone is interested I can probably snap a couple of pictures and post them.Darren

#17 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:06 AM

We are always interested in pictues. The more the better.

#18 Papa D

Papa D

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Hunting varmints, fishing, teaching Hunter Safety Classes and firearms classes and gunsmithing. Can't wait to get the Grandkids out hunting!

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

Red Dog,I have carried a Crooked Horn Outfitters Guide pack for 14 years. Most of my serious hunting friends do the same. The quality is second to none and they stand behind their merchandise. Most other manufacturers copy the Crooked Horn design. Enough said.Good hunting.

#19 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

here is what I am packing.Attached File  1.jpg   22.55KB   6 downloads

#20 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

Predator Master, it certainly looks like you are ready to roll!

#21 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

http://www.eberlestock.com/index.html

+2 on these! I just got one and it is the BEST pack I have ever owned!

#22 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:11 AM

I just called em (it's a long drive for me) and they only have one model in the store (according to the guy I spoke to) which was a Eberlestock Tred Barta signature pack. I cannot locate it on the Eberlestock website so I assume it is a version of one of their standard packs. Sad what happened to ole Tred...hope he recovers.

I ordered mine direct from thier factory in Boise.. Had it 4 days

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users