16 replies to this topic

#1 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:27 AM

I am thinking of getting a 30 06 to add to the stable, I heard they don't make factory non-lead though. Is that true?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:30 AM

Non-Lead Rifle AmmunitionBrand Name: Federal Premium – Vital ShokCaliber Grain Weight Bullet Style.30-06 Springfield 165 Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet.30-06 Springfield 180 Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet

#3 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

Cool, thanks! Man those aren't cheap. $41 a box at midway. (plus $10 shipping)

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

Thant's not what Barnes told the DFG Commission. They said their stuff was even cheaper as I remember. :signs1180lq:

#5 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

Aqua.... check Wal-Mart. They had those weights here at the Tulare store today... Getting more and more in each day also, they said...Price is less than Midway's by $5 or so, also.

#6 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

Thant's not what Barnes told the DFG Commission. They said their stuff was even cheaper as I remember. :eck05:

Be that as it may, or may not be, Barnes has no control over what their wholesale customers will charge to make a buck. Barnes spoke the truth at the F&G hearings. If they have raised their wholesale prices, well they are the only game in town and have the right to participate in free enterprise as do we all. Where the hell are the other manufactures and their non-lead bullets? I've basically had to hang up my .204s because there is no good non-lead stuff available and probably won't be for a long time, if ever. The F&G Commission has basically made the .204 extinct because of the physics involved in creating a bullet heaver that 26 gr that will shoot because of the added length required to get a higher mass. Barnes is not responsible for this non-lead delimma. The ban has been here for eight months now and where are all of the bullets from the other manufactures? Barnes happened to be in the right place at the right time. I believe, even if we finally let Darwin do his job on the condors, that there will be a nation-wide ban on lead in the next five to ten years, or sooner. Lead is bad stuff and the push will be to do the ecologically right thing and ban lead, justified or not. Had Barnes not appeared and spoke truth, in my mind, the ban may have been delayed, but not stopped and no one would be developing lead alternatives except Barnes. SJ and I disagree on what was said by Barnes at that fateful F&G Commission hearing. I invite you all to go back and watch it once again. Perhaps John will re-post the link, although it really doesn't matter because it is a done deal however you me interpret what Barnes really said.Hey, I paid $64.95 for a box of 20 Federal Prem 110 gr TSX .270 wsm ammo at a local gun shop and it wasn't fun.SteveH

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

Hey, I paid $64.95 for a box of 20 Federal Prem 110 gr TSX .270 wsm ammo at a local gun shop and it wasn't fun.

That's why I reload. Sorry but you got hosed along with most of California. :eck05: You really need to listen to that Fish and Game Commission meeting Steve. Either that or get your ears cleaned out.

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

I feel that the whole thing about worrying about lead is overblown. A lot of us grew up with led paint, biting down on lead sinkers, and a whole lot of other let stuff. I have melted a lot of lead also. But most of us are still around. Heck, we can't worry about every little thing or we may as well stay locked up in a sterilized room. It's just the nanny state at work again.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

As long as I don't have to shoot non lead it's alright. :eck05:

#10 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

That's why I reload. Sorry but you got hosed along with most of California. :eck05: You really need to listen to that Fish and Game Commission meeting Steve. Either that or get your ears cleaned out.

Well post the link and let everyone decide, if anyone is really interested. Like I said, it really doesn't matter because it is a done deal. I've listened/watched it a dozen times trying to see what you and Heath saw/heard, but it just isn't there for me. Ears have been cleaned and had cataract surgery less the a year ago. Maybe I'm just not trying to find someone to blame because no hunters, even locals or very few, attended and spoke against the ban. It is now a reality so let's move on. Trying to burn Barnes at the cross won't change anything. If you insist, well I love a good game of ping pong.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

Nosler has the E-Tip which can be loaded for an '06.http://www.nosler.co...p?p=3&bullet=20Steve, have you watched the right video?

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

Alright here you go for the link to Barnes addressing the Fish & Game Commission.If you'd like to hear what Barnes Bullets had to say to the California Fish & Game Commission regarding copper bullets you can watch it at the link below.http://www.cal-span....a.pl?folder=CFGYou want to go down to August 27th 2007 and choose complete video. Once the video starts go to 03:06 hours to 03:22 hours. You can speed ahead once the video starts loading.If you listen to the whole presentation you will here how he says their copper bullets are cheaper and how lead has even tripled in price.

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

John, I just watched the video again and it isn't the same thing that I originally watched. It appears a lot of the stuff I found damning has been removed?

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:13 AM

I noticed they'd changed some of it. The time frame starts at the correct spot on the tape but doesn't correspond with the ending time so they indeed did edit the tape. I used to do some work for Cal-Span so I'm going to call them and complain. I know some people that might be interested in this doctoring of the evidence.

#15 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

You can get Winchester Supreme .30-06 ammo factory loaded with 180 grain Nosler E-Tips.http://www.cabelas.c...e...&hasJS=true

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:47 PM

That's not too bad considering it is the Supreme ammo.

#17 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

Black Hills also loads it with 180 grain TSX.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users