• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

I went out for an evening hunt on saturday. I was creeping up an old overgrown forest service road as quietley as I could when through the trees I see what I think is the rear end of a black cow in some tall brush about fiftey yards out. Then it starts making a low pitched braying sound like an annoyed bull. Now I'm a little worried thinking that it's an ornery old range bull, but figure I can make a wide loop around him and he wont even see me. All of a sudden the black figure spins around, breaking a good sized pine tree sapling like an old dry twig, and now I can see that it is a HUGE FREAKIN' BLACK BEAR!!!!! His nose is in the air, he can smell me, he can't see me, and he's not happy about it. I wanted to make a noise to let him know where I was but in all honestey, I was afraid to do it from that close. I was really wishing I had a sidearm about now. I backed out as quitley as I could and once I put another fiftey yards in between us I kicked it into high gear, watching my back, until I got back to camp.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 sendin

sendin

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

Glad it turned out you didn't need one.
Molon labe!

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:32 PM

Stand as tall as possible and yell at him offer him tea and crackers :signbummer8tl: . Bet that put your heart a ticking.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:58 AM

Man, this seems to be a frequent event these days. I'd like to hear from the "I never carry a sidearm" crowd on this one. Area's I have hunted so far are desert flatlands, so NO BEARS. But, if I go anywhere in the hills, I WILL have a sidearm (soon it will be a compact .45 ACP).
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#5 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:19 AM

Next time you go.... just take a slow friend. No side arm needed. Or.... just take a .22 pistol and when the bear attacks, shoot your buddy in the leg. :welcomeani:

#6 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:02 AM

And you didn't shoot it with your bow why? 50 yard shot on a bear is a money shot! Are bear in season yet? I only hunt them in Idaho so I'm not hip on our regs here. I do hate the "no side arm" law during achery season.

#7 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:20 AM

Always remember your Pepper Spray, them bears like their meat Cajun style!

#8 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

And you didn't shoot it with your bow why? 50 yard shot on a bear is a money shot!

I asked him the same question on the phone last night. Reason was he didn't buy a bear tag. :doh[1]: But I'll bet he'll get one now! :roflmao3[1]:
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

You couldn't legally carry a side arm while bow hunting, so your stuck either way. :signbummer8tl:Besides if I was hunting with a rifle why would I put down a perfectly good rifle to bother with a pistol? Rifle goes BOOM! Pistol goes bang.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

Oh heck no.... Id be scared s&* less... me and bears do NOT get along.. they scare me and I they know it LOL...SO you gonna try that area during rifle for bear?
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:34 PM

I didn't even think about it. I just saw the "no sidearm" title. I was thinking maybe he was coyote hunting with an smallish caliber (.223). The .223 would be the first thing to shoot with the sidearm as a second while you are running away. :roflmao3[1]: As for Bow hunting, that does suck that you can't have a sidearm.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#12 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:34 PM

I asked him the same question on the phone last night. Reason was he didn't buy a bear tag. :doh[1]: But I'll bet he'll get one now! :)

:roflmao3[1]: He is probably @ DFG right now getting a tag and then back to the same spot :)

#13 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

LOL...I bet he is...50yds is probably the closest I've been to a bear as well..never had one that was looking for a fight, they seem to go about their business or high-tail it when they smell or hear you...BUT, there's always that one cranky boar or sow that may come along...
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

The crazy part is that until last year I'd never even seen a blackbear in the wild. Last year one came my calls while I was coyote hunting. He wasn't very big but it definitley made me a bit nervous for a few seconds. This instance scared the bejezus out of me. Waay bigger bear and a weapon with even less dropping power. I never wanted to hunt a bear before but now I do. Screw the arrows, I'm gonna haul a rifle throwing 405 grains slugs and pack my .45 colt loaded with hardcast 330s. But once I'm properly equiped to dance with a big bruin I probably wont see one. Murpheys law can be a b!tch.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:34 PM

Wow thats scary Matt glad you got away. how far up the Sierras were you I am thinking on getting a bear tag we should go up and do some calling one day.You thinking on useing that 45-110 LOL I think your 270wsm will have more energy plus faster second shot.

#16 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:54 PM

With 405 grain slugs, who the hell needs a second shot??? :roflmao3[1]:
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#17 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

Wow thats scary Matt glad you got away. how far up the Sierras were you I am thinking on getting a bear tag we should go up and do some calling one day.You thinking on useing that 45-110 LOL I think your 270wsm will have more energy plus faster second shot.

I was in the Long Barn area. On paper my 270wsm has more energy but in real life the 45-110 has more deep penetrating, bone smashing power. Energy figures favor high velocity rounds but big fat slugs have more momentum. I'm not worried about the slower reloading speed of the single shot but I'm not looking forward to carrying that brute aound the hills. I do have an iron sighted 30-06 and a 12ga slug gun I could use too.

#18 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,772 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:38 PM

Got a buddy up at the cabin who use to run hounds, years ago, and did a lot of lion and bear hunting. The best year they had thay treed 31 bear, and took a good percentage of them. Let some go. He always carried a Ruger Mark I. He liked the extra fire power. Said the 22 had plenty of killing power at the 20 feet that he would shoot them from. :cheers:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#19 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:15 PM

I know the feeling. I spotted one two weeks ago while scouting the day prior to opening day. He got close to 400 yards and that got me worried since I left my 300 at the camp and all I had was my K-Bar skinning knife. Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#20 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:02 AM

Here's a little video for you Matt. I want to make sure you know what to do next time you see that bruiser! :roflmao3[1]: http://www.videojug....to-fight-a-bear

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

The only black bears that have ever given me trouble were the ones I've dealt with at Yosemite. Every other one we could get close to while filming turned and ran. They aren't real brave it seems. Except for one particular female we ran into at Yosemite and to get her to leave our stuff alone I hit her in the head with a coconut. That made her think twice about trying to go through our stuff. The next thing was going to be a big rock. But she decided to leave before that became necessary. :signs121fj:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#22 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:08 PM

With 405 grain slugs, who the hell needs a second shot??? :signs121fj:

Yep. Bigger holes too.Clampdaddy,that was one fine post ! :) We might have to do something for next year.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#23 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

or you can try some jsu jitsu --
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#24 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:49 PM

:signs121fj:

#25 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

Damn, Wes and Mac those were some funny videos! :signs121fj: What sucks it that the dog runners will all be in the hills for the rifle season opener so I pretty much only have one shot at going after that bear on opening morning. After that all the ones that aren't killed will probably be pretty scarce.

#26 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

Nah,just go fishin and kick em in the juevos !You'll walk away with your fish.

#27 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:00 PM

or you can try some jsu jitsu --

:pot: :angry2: :lol: :signlol2iu: :rolleyes:
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#28 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

Damn, Wes and Mac those were some funny videos! :pot: What sucks it that the dog runners will all be in the hills for the rifle season opener so I pretty much only have one shot at going after that bear on opening morning. After that all the ones that aren't killed will probably be pretty scarce.

You do realize that even though they tree them they dont always shoot right? ASk if you can tag along!! Some guys let hunters come along because they just want an excuse to run their dogs.. AND if the dogs are running they are pushing bears all over so you may find more than just that one.. Last year when we were bear hunting we heard dogs and started driving towards the mountain they were on... we started seeing a lot of bear unfortunately none were closer than 1500 yards.. The dogs aparently were headed over the mountain darn it LOL.. A neighbor of mine runs hounds, and also a guy up town here runs his dogs for people.. I dont know if he is a guide or just does it for fun.. either way he gets ALOT treed and doesnt take them...
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#29 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Hunting is all new to me but it has over come fishing. with my bow i can do it all. but now that i got my air rifle, that i will only use for birds, (my arrows ruined to much meat.) i can now embark on a new found interest. HUNTING and the outdoors. besides that i just play videos games and hang out with friends. Spend time at the local watering holes.

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

well we bowhunters can't have a side arm during some seasons. aways buy the big can of bear mace. i've crossed a few black bear before and i've noticed the females dont put up with much. the males however most of the time when they start doing their standing up and stomping the front feet are just bluffing. stand up to them and move closer while sounding more aggressive. 95% of the time they run. the other %5 is why i said bring the can of mace! if all else fails just shoot the thing and quickly find a ranger and fill out a DSP form.

#30 Beretta

Beretta

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing and camping. <br />NRA lifetime member, Ducks<br />Unlimited member and 8 year <br />member of the River Ranch Hunt Club.

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:55 AM

Stand as tall as possible and yell at him offer him tea and crackers :signs1111cr: . Bet that put your heart a ticking.

Good one Thumper,,, I am still Crackin up!!!! :roflmao3[1]:
"The genuine sportsman is, by all odds, the mostimportant factor in keeping the larger and more valuable creatures from total extinction." THEODORE ROOSEVELTNRA Lifetime Member/DU Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users