13 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:50 PM

How does someone build a CA legal AR pistol? Is there a OLL marked as a pistol that can be DROSed in California? It would be cool to build one if it could be done legally in CA.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:53 PM

Barrel length would be the problem.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:57 PM

It can be done, although I don't think it's easy or cheap. I think (key word there) that you have to get a pistol marked gun that is setup as a single shot. After you DROS it, you can convert it to a semi-auto, but you must use a bullet button. I would love something like this, one of those just because you can things. But I imagine myself trying to explain all that to a LEO who is having a bad day and that worries me. I do have an off list AR rifle though.(Disclaimer: I am obviously not an attorney, so take this with a large grain of salt).Check out calguns for more info.

#4 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:29 AM

I didn't think owning one was possible at all, not matter what configuration you purchase it in .....it's not on the California list of approved handguns. At least this was my understanding of it. Sounds like I need to do some more research.Have you ever thought of purchasing a FN Herstal 5.7 x 28mm Handgun. The new 10 Rnd version is currently on the list of approved handguns we can purchase here in Kommifornia, but it won't be for long. This handgun sends out its projectiles at AR Comparitive speeds and weighs 30% less then most 9mm handguns on the market today. They're not cheap, but man are they mean! I'll have my hands on one soon.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#5 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

Single shots and certain single-action revolvers are exempt from the safe handgun list.I don't know much about the 5.7x28 but it sure sounds cool. I'll have to look into it. About how much do those handguns run? Why don't you think it will stay on the list?

#6 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:57 AM

As was said before, it needs to be a pistol marked lower and it I think it needs to be a complete gun. The only way they can be imported is as a single shot and as a single shot, there is an exemption. After that the guys convert them to semi. I am not sure how that is legally done as it has a magazine that is not in the pistol grip which I thought made them an AW.Barrel length is not an issue as it is a pistol. You can purchase short barreled uppers as long as they are not for a rifle. (according to Calguns) Don't EVER put a short barreled upper on a rifle lower or you have a short barreled rifle felony problem. Calguns has several threads on the subject.Having one of those toys sounds a little like pouring gas on oneself and then playing with matches.

#7 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:56 PM

Single shots and certain single-action revolvers are exempt from the safe handgun list.I don't know much about the 5.7x28 but it sure sounds cool. I'll have to look into it. About how much do those handguns run? Why don't you think it will stay on the list?

The handgun runs about 1000+. Two of my closest freinds are LEO/SWAT and they say that because the FN herstal 5.7 x 28mm can penetrate body armor, most officers are after their removal from public availability.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#8 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

... because the FN herstal 5.7 x 28mm can penetrate body armor, most officers are after their removal from public availability.

So does just about every rifle cartridge I own. Gotta watch those that want to take away your guns.

#9 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:00 PM

Yes, but this is a handgun not a rifle. You should hear some of the heated arguements we have over gun related issues.

#10 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

Yes, but this is a handgun not a rifle.

So. More cops are injured by car wrecks than bullets. They don't advocate taking your cars away. They don't "feel safe", so they are want to take your guns away?That's just as silly when NDOW(Nevada Dept. of Wildlife) did not want citizens to have a CCW, because hunters might have guns.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:03 PM

That's just as silly when NDOW(Nevada Dept. of Wildlife) did not want citizens to have a CCW, because hunters might have guns.

Politicians are so smart! Where would we be without them?

#12 sdaly

sdaly

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

While not a pistol, I really like my AR carbine because it's relatively compact (not handgun-like compact, but still compact enough) yet it's more powerful than a handgun and I don't have to worry about all the silly handgun laws when using or transporting it.BTW, my buddy has a .243 bolt-action single-shot "pistol." That thing is WAY cool. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#13 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:27 PM

So. More cops are injured by car wrecks than bullets. They don't advocate taking your cars away. They don't "feel safe", so they are want to take your guns away?That's just as silly when NDOW(Nevada Dept. of Wildlife) did not want citizens to have a CCW, because hunters might have guns.

Yodel Dog............I never said I agreed with their opinion, so why do you persist? :roflmao3[1]: I obviously agree with you.....I'm buying the gun. But please carry on with your rant.

#14 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:25 PM

Yodel Dog............I never said I agreed with their opinion, so why do you persist? :rolleyes: I obviously agree with you.....I'm buying the gun. But please carry on with your rant.

Apologies. I was not directing my comments AT you, just commenting on the topic in general. I speak with cops frequently and some of their reasonings towards what should be banned from the "public" and NOT the "cops" is silly. Any chance to express a pro-gun view-point from the publics perspective I take. The LEO's can aquire just about anything they want, just with their ID. "Assault Weapons", hi-cap mags for ANY firearm and even handguns deemed "unsafe" by the DOJ that the public cannot purchase. Then some of them talk about how the same items should be banned from the public. Again, apologies. This was not an attack on you. Thanks for the opportunity to rant! :1087:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users