• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hey guys, I already own a Springfield XD-9 Subcompact. I will be applying for my CCW in about a week. I'd like to have at least one other weapon to put on my permit (that is if I get a permit). Plus this is an excuse to add another handgun to my collection. This will also pull double duty as my Sidearm or Backup gun when hunting. So, I want it to have some punch while still being small and lightweight.I'm trying to stay close to $300 + Fees (I know, I'm cheap).What do you guys think of these?Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro 45acphttp://www.budsgunsh...oducts_id/32443Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite .38 Spl+P 2" Bluehttp://www.budsgunsh...oducts_id/31516Taurus 605 .357mag 2" Bluehttp://www.budsgunsh...oducts_id/31560Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro 40SW Bluehttp://www.budsgunsh...oducts_id/32438
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#2 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:07 AM

For CCW, I would go with .45 and my second choice would be the .40. Might also consider the S&W Sigma SW40VE as well for a carry gun.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#3 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:23 AM

So basically you are recommending more takedown power with more rounds. Is that why you didn't choose the wheel guns?Also, have you had any experience with the XD's? I bought my XD-9 Subcompact with CCW in mind. I really like my XD, I was just thinking of picking something else up that might be a bit more concealable and possibly lighter. I don't wat to go below a 9mm (I know it's not the most powerful, but I feel it's enough), but sometimes it's nice to have a really concealable ccw weapon. I figure it's better to have an additional CCW weapon before getting the permit so they can add it at the beginning.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#4 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:40 AM

Semi-autos IMHO are easier to conceal. The .40's knockdown power / kinetic energy is MUCH higher then a 9mm, not quite a .45, but still very good. I love my .45 and trust my life to it all the time. You mentioned a price point, and I have both a .40 and .45 that I use in the field, and carry concealed when I can (outside of the state of California). Nothing wrong with the XD models at all, shot my friends .45 and it felt great. Still partial to my Sig in .45, but that is a personal choice. On top of that, would rather have a 9mm, or even a .25 ACP then nothing at all! Just have been with people shot by 9mm's (in fact a good friend was stitched with 3 rounds) and he never knew he was shot until somebody told him. Hit with a .45, and you can't help but know it. Again, just my opinion. My CCW instructor was also former special forces, and he said, "You have to hit somebody in the head, or centerline of the main torso with a 9mm to put them down. A .45 in the upper body, head, or just about anywhere will stop them very quickly."Wheelguns are VERY dependable, go bang when you pull the trigger. A .357 is no plinking round by any means. To me, it is just less bulk to conceal with a semi-auto instead of a wheelgun.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

I've got a 605 that I loooove and a lot of people carry/swear by that and the S&W equivalent.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for the info D-man! As for the BULK of a wheelgun. What are you referring to? I haven't been able to put them side by side (gun store can't have more than one out at a time). But with small 2" wheelguns, they look pretty small. The ones I actually handled were the ultralight .38's though and not the .357.The only wheel guns I have ever owned were REALLY big. S&W 686 .357 stainless with 6" barrel and a 6" barrel Ruger single six. As for my XD, I really like the size, though it is a little on the thick side. It's also got some heft to it, but I'm not sure if the others I listed are lighter (nor am I sure if I want a lighter handgun with more firepower).

#7 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

I meant the width because of the cylinder itself. Many people have carried them for years. It is a personal preference thing. You are the one carrying it, so you have to decide what is best for you!And above all, practice, practice, practice. Drawing from concealed carry and a double tap at 25 yards in to 15 yards. Everything should just flow nice and smooth. Without practice, it is all useless.Darren

#8 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:05 PM

I meant the width because of the cylinder itself. Many people have carried them for years. It is a personal preference thing. You are the one carrying it, so you have to decide what is best for you!

Gotcha, so the cylinder itself is wider than a XD or Sig?What do think of the .38's? I REALLY liked the weight of the Ultralight (go figure), but I guess you can get used to just about anything.I've shot larger .38's, .357's and 40SW in the past. Never anything this small. I have never shot a .45 so I worry that the compact .45 may be a bit much (again, I think I can get used to anything and in a pinch though I don't think I'm gonna be worrying about recoil). I'm leaning towards the .45 just cause I like the small size as well as the firepower. It has great reviews as a CW or BUG. Plus the price is right. :signgreatreport3kg:

#9 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

Done leaning, I've decided. I'm gonna get the .45. :signgreatreport3kg: I have my FFL checking prices, but I will probably order from Bud's today.

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:55 PM

OK, I just ordered!!! Now the waiting begins. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#11 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

my 3 favorites colt officers model series 80(ya that was a bummer) customised in 92kimber ultra cdp IIsmith model 38 ultralight shrouded hammer with 125 gr nycladsThose are my favorites and its important that they have been shot lots of times hundreds of rounds for the autos lol

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,245 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

The gun i want now is the khar its very small light it will hold 7 .40 rounds and more with 9mm. I was surprised with the price 600 is what they go for.

#13 STA-6004

STA-6004

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

I bought my wife the .40 Taurus last year before I left, it is a really simple gun. It shoots well, does not kick too bad and handles well. The only bad thing is that there is nothing really after market for them. If you get a chance to shoot one before you buy I would recommend it. -Jake

#14 hawkeye80863

hawkeye80863

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Wildcats, Reloading and going after the coyotes that tried to make a meal of my pointer.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

I'm trying to stay close to $300 + Fees (I know, I'm cheap).I'd go with a Ruger SP-101 in 38/357. I bought one for my wife several years ago and she loves it and I must admit I carry myself when we're together. She practices with light 38 SPl reloads and carries Federal 38 +P. When I'm carrying I load full power 357's with either 125gr HPs or 158gr SPs. I'm sure you can find a used one for right around $300.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

#15 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

Already ordered the Taurus PT145

#16 DocAmentler

DocAmentler

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

I know that I'm late to this party, but I have to mention this. If you are a member of the military, police or EMS, Glock with sell you one of their handguns at a cheaper price that you can get them normally. You need to go through a "Glock Stocking Dealer" to get this deal. Just call Glock in Georgia and ask where the "stocking dealer" closest to you is and go down to check them out. Having said all that, enjoy your Taurus!

#17 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

Thanks DocAmentler, I'm no longer military so I wouldn't qualify. Now I'm looking at getting a Kahr PM9 for deep concealment. Do they offer any discounts for former Military? :good:

#18 DocAmentler

DocAmentler

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:40 PM

Do you still have a military ID that's valid? Are you retired or did you leave before your 20? Not sure on Kahr. There are several manufacturers that offer discounts to NRA instructors as well.

#19 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

Nope, did 9+ years, left as a SSGT (so I could have done 20 if I chose to) they wouldn't let me crosstrain, then kept me in for another 3 months due to Stop-Loss. Kinda sucks for those of us that have served honorably. I think they should have a Veteran ID card for those of us that were honorably discharged and not forced out for some reason. Maybe have some kind of priveliges to access the BX and Commissary like the reserves.Oh well. Any discounts for local government (non LEO or Safety)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users