13 replies to this topic

#1 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:16 PM

Just got back from my first deer hunt. It was awesome! Got to hunt with my dad and 2 other old guys, went up to Mt Dutton, near Circleville and Antimony in south east Utah. Saturday the 16th was the opener, so we drove up on thursday. On the way up one of my tires seperated and I had to limp my way up to Beaver and get new tires. $600 later, I'm back on the road. The rest of the caravan didn't feel like waiting for me, so my dad and I drove up and got lost for a couple of hours, but we saw a big 'ole 4x4 buck in the headlights, which got us all hot 'n bothered. So we showed up at camp around midnight, set up our tents in the dark, and crashed out. Spent most of friday scouting, and between the four of us we saw NO BUCKS all day! Pretty discouraging. Saturday was the opener, spent 4 hours in the morning watching a heavily used trail system near a water hole, and saw only a few does and a fawn. While the old guys decided to nap and snack during the afternoon, I decided I wasn't going to go home empty-handed and wishing I would have hunted harder, I started hiking and sneaking. 2 hours later I jumped a tall forkie in the sage and spent 2 more hours stalking him untill I got as close as I ever would... about 40 yards. I could see him through the trees, drew back, picked out a path through the twigs and branches, and released. Hit a twig, sent the arrow careening off somewhere, and sent the buck waaaaaay off away never to be seen again. :smiley_kewlpics: So I made my way back to camp and answered jealous intrigues about my missing arrow. So I picked up my dad and headed out again. He set up near a clearing, and I pushed my way towards him through a grove of quakies. I get to where we were supposed to meet up, and no dad. But, out in the clearing, low and behold the most beautiful spike buck I ever did see. The stalk was on. Got to 40 yards, drew... and let down as he walked behing some trees and out of range. :good: :D Then he turned around and grazed his way back my direction. I snuck my way down to the edge of the trees, ranged (about 55 yds, slightly downhill) drew and placed the 50 yd pin on the top of his shoulder, and realeased. I watched the arrow fly in slow motion, it disapeared as it sunk below the sage him and me, and heard a "THWACK!" as it slammed into his shoulder. :good: He bucked, rand 15 yards and stumbled, ran farther and stumbled again, ran and stumled a third and last time. :D :yahoo: Then I heard my dad on the radio "did you hit him?"... he was watching from a tree stand a short distance away. So we found the arrow, ranged the shot officialy at 58 yards, and easily followed the blood trail a short 37 yards to my first buck. Small but great.Posted ImageThe next evening (sunday) my dad shot a rattle snake in the head with his bow, Posted Imageand later shot 72 yards at another spike in the same clearing, and was positive he missed. Looked for 30 mins, found no arrow or blood, and gave up, believing he missed high. Rick, one of the old guys got a buck (another spike) so we went and checked that out. Then on Monday morning I was working my way through some thick stuff trying to push deer to the old guys, when I came upon a dead spike-buck. It was the one my dad shot at and hit! It was a miracle I just happened upon it, it was not anywhere we would have looked for it.Posted Image3 down, one more old guy to go. So Ross decided to put up a ground blind in the sage 40 yards fronm a water hole. Around 7:00 PM came on Monday evening, and slowly deer congregated until he had a dozen deer mulling about him. Only 2 bucks, so he shot the biggest one (a small forkie) and watched it wander up and over a ridge. We looked until it got dark, came back the next morning and found it.Posted ImageHere are the 3 spike amigosPosted ImageAnd the whole group, 4 for 4Posted ImageIt was a great hunt full of great memories spent with my dad and good friends. We ate steak every night, how could it get better than that?
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#2 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

Congratulations on your successfull hunting trip! Soulds like you had a great time......I can only hope I'm successfull on my first deer hunt. I'll be going for Mule deer in Atlanta Idaho the last week of October! This will be my first hunting trip period! Congrats on your early success! :smiley_kewlpics:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:49 PM

Hey you guys did very well.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

Great shooting guys! Those spike bucks must have tasted great also!!! :roflmao3[1]:
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#5 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:00 PM

Congrats on the spikes.

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

:signs1242cn: :roflmao3[1]: That had to of been fun. And nice long shots.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#7 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

Looks like you guys had fun.... :roflmao3[1]:

#8 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:14 PM

Great story! Four for four it doesn't get much better than that on a first hunt. Congrats.
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#9 St8shooter

St8shooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:16 PM

Old GUYS! I'm crushed. Three highly experienced and well trained bowhunters hunters perhaps, but "old guys - I don't think so - if I do say so myself. LOL. We'll do the SPEED ARCHERY thingy with some $$$ on the line and I'll show you old. Good story Eric. Talk to you soon.Rick

#10 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, surfing,fishing,sports,target shooting,reloading,camping

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

Nice job I'll bet they are going to taste good.

#11 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:14 PM

Old GUYS! I'm crushed. Three highly experienced and well trained bowhunters hunters perhaps, but "old guys - I don't think so - if I do say so myself. LOL. We'll do the SPEED ARCHERY thingy with some $$$ on the line and I'll show you old. Good story Eric. Talk to you soon.Rick

:signs1111cr: ... well, if my math is correct, you guys are all about twice my age :harhar1[1]: :eck05: Man, I guess SJ just lets anyone on here, huh? So are we speed archry'ing this tues? I'll bring some of the deer jercky. :drool:
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

That just means the "old guys" have twice as much experience and are twice as good. :signs1111cr: :harhar1[1]:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#13 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

St8shooter, you are not old! Keep repeating that as needed to make you feel better.4 for 4 on Buck Deer with Archery tackle is a huge success in anybody's book.That is a great accomplishment!Sagedog that is a nice buck and I am guessing the jerky is tasty.St8shooter, the sausage is great!Thanks again for that and the great Dove Hunt yesterday.Duane
Hunt with your kids not for them.

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

Great shooting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users