8 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:48 AM

this morning. I've had a nice Leupold 4X12 Vari-x-II scope laying around for months. Ever since I sold the .22-250 coyote rifle it was on. I would look at it and think "man it's too bad it doesn't parallax adjust down to 10 yards" and walk away. I'm looking at it again this morning, when the light bulb screwed in another half turn and lit up and I thought, "IDIOT, when was the last time you had a shot at a ground squirrel that was under 30/35 yards"? Rare as hens teeth. The scope parallax adjusts down to 25 yards. Here's her new home on top of the RWS Rapier two shooter. I think they make a lovely couple. Down to 10 yards? Who cares. We don't need no stinking 10 yards. LOL.Posted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:51 AM

Beautiful Setup.Brant

I'm an airgunholic

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

LOL That is too funny :signgreatreport3kg: Heck at ten yards just kick em... save the bullet..Looks real nice paired up like that :653:
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#4 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:18 AM

Does she have a sister you can set me up with? Very nice shooter!

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,955 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:23 AM

Beautiful gun and a nice addition to your fine stable of adult air rifles. As I was reading your post I'm thinking why is he worried about focusing down to 10 yards unless he's shooting in the house. I though I've never seen you take a ground squirrel that close. :signgreatreport3kg: What diet of pellets does she prefer? I like her especially because she has a lefty friendly stock. :653:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

What do one of these run? Where would be the best place to shop?

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,955 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:59 AM

Rick, I don't think the Rapier is manufactured any longer. It was made for RWS by FX Airguns in Sweden. I maybe wrong but I'm sure Cliff will know for sure.If you want an excellent PCP airgun that is quiet and does everything very well I'd look at the Air Arms 410ERB. Beautiful guns more accurate than the people shooting them. But you'll need a way to fill them so either an air tank or hand pump. Whew! That hand pumping can be murder if you shoot a lot.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

Beautiful gun and a nice addition to your fine stable of adult air rifles. As I was reading your post I'm thinking why is he worried about focusing down to 10 yards unless he's shooting in the house. I though I've never seen you take a ground squirrel that close. :smiley_kewlpics: What diet of pellets does she prefer? I like her especially because she has a lefty friendly stock. :good:

Mostly it's just old programming. The idea being that in the old days airguns were considered to be very short range guns. Mostly springers and Co2 in those days, so if you used a scope for shooting 15/20 yards, you needed one that would parallax down to 10/15 yards. It still holds true to some extent today, but since I'm not a plinker, and ninety five percent of my squirrel shooting is done from 40 yards out to 80 yards, I don't need to parallax adjust down to 10. It was kind of funny to see the light go on when I smacked myself in the forehead. :D As one would expect, it shoots 16 grain JSB's really well, but it also shoots the DYNAMIC tin alloy pellets like a house a fire too. She has a small cheek piece on the left side but a lefty could shoot her no problem.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#9 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:00 PM

What do one of these run? Where would be the best place to shop?

I picked it up used for $600. John's right, it is no longer made. The AA 400/410 rifles are outstanding. I've got a used AA 410 CRBSL thumbhole on the way. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. It's the carbine version of the AA 410 ERBSL. Sold off another powder burner and bought another airgun. Man this is just too much fun. :smiley_kewlpics:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users