17 replies to this topic

#1 y0da

y0da

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:38 AM

Well,Went and bought a new Bushnell 4-12x40 scope this weekend. Bought some new weaver 1" high style quad lock rings to go along with it. Same bases that came on my Savage Model 10. No problems mounting the bottom of the scope rings to the scope bases. No problems with the scope fitting in the rings or the clamps. got it all set up, went out to see if I could atleast get it on paper. well, 8 rounds later it was on paper, but with the windage and elevation cranked all the way into the scope. I know this isn't right. Am I missing something huge? Can someone please enlighten me. No flaming :-P I know Im young and dumb. :-D and advice besides have a shop do it isn't helping. That is a last resort for me.

#2 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:32 AM

Do you have a Turners nearby? They should get you set up to where you can hit paper. Or buy one of those bore lazers not too expensive. Just remeber to take it out when you start shooting. Also did you use locktight on the screws? I had a bad scope one time could not get it dialed in so I sent it back got a new one worked just fine.

#3 y0da

y0da

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for the info. If I can't get it to work.. Going to take it to sportsmans and have them mount and boresight it. I could also use a boresighter though. More than one rifle lol. Hrmm.. I smell a Sportsmans or cabela's run coming on today.. Aww dog poop its payday too. :-P this could get expensive

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:49 AM

You need to bore sight the scope by removing the bolt and looking down the bore and then the scope. If you do a quick search on sighting I think you'll find it explained several times on the forum.One thing before you start the process is to reset your scope to zero. To do this turn the knobs until stop. Then turn in the other direction counting the clicks as you turn it. Then when you reach the other stop divide the number of clicks in half and rotate the knob to that location. Do this procedure for both knobs and then bore sight the rifle. I like to loosen the mounts and get the scope as close to sighted as I tighten everything down. Sometimes you may need to shim depending on the mounts. Then adjust your scope by looking down the bore and through the scope.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 y0da

y0da

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:52 AM

thanks guys for the into, John, what would I used to shim? My scope was zeroed, and manually boresighted by removing the bolt. Im assuming it has to do with my rings, as the bases havent changed. We shall see.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:59 AM

If everything was centered originally you may have over tightened the rings. I use pieces of aluminum soda cans cut with scissors for shims. But you might want to start the process over again and see if it changes. Remember don't wrench down on the screws. I think it's something like 35 inch pounds is all thats needed. I just have developed a feel for it.

Time waits for no one--

#7 y0da

y0da

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:07 AM

I just so happen to have a calibrated torque wrench of an arm.. but its cal'd for ft/lb not in/lb... I have a few laying around. I took the rings back off last night, and didn't bend the tube or anything, not even a scratch, so I'll be taking your suggestions, and soda can is a great idea, would have taken me a long time to think of that John. So its shooting way high and right, so shim the rings on the rear ones, bottom and the left... Correct me if Im wrong? Thanks John

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:06 PM

Check your mounts and see if they can be switched around and made to give you a better sight picture. If it doesn't help yes you are correct on the shimming but try not to use to many.

Time waits for no one--

#9 y0da

y0da

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

rgr that john, ill post up as soon as I know whats going on.... starting all over again lol... hopefully it will work. Gots to get the g/f then head to wally world for some ammo as they are way cheaper than anyplace else. lawl. So, by dark ill have an answer on whether i solved it.-Paul

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

Clamp that rifle down good and find a spot to look at through the barrel. Then even with the top of the rings off rest the scope in the lower portion and see if you can find the same spot. Then you can start putting it together and gently start tightening things up. :fireworks3:

Time waits for no one--

#11 y0da

y0da

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

rgr i got a spot for that. outside... should piss off thy neighbor lawl. Naw, they are cool with it. Got a huge vise I can pad. **Note to Self**Bolt big vise to kitchen table tonight

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:14 PM

That is sure to make the wife happy! :fireworks3: Note from wife, hit him over the head with HIS vice. :harhar1[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:07 PM

I've had weaver style rings that weren't machined square before. If you can't get the scope to line up side to side you can turn one of the rings the other way and recheck it. If nothing happens try the other ring. If still nothing happens the rings are not to blame and either the scope is jacked up or the holes in the reciever weren't drilled properly.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#14 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

If all else fail by following some of the guys suggestion, dump the ring, and get yourself a Millet Weaver style ring. At least you can adjust windage with them. This is the drawback with Weaver style ring... there are no provision for windage adjustment. It is a known fact that some factory rifle leaves the factory, with the hole for base mounting, not square with the action. Also invest on a good quality ring lapping tool. It's worth every penny.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#15 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

This is the drawback with Weaver style ring... there are no provision for windage adjustment.

Unless you use the Weaver adjustable rings. They are fairly wide(too wide?) for adjustable rings.Weaver - Detachable ~ see "Sure Grip".

#16 y0da

y0da

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

ok, just took it all off... stuck it in a padded vise... boresighted @ about 10yds looking down the barrel.. Slowly tightened it all up.. Took it out 100 yrds, 1st round on paper. I got it to work. I have not a fricking clue what the hell was wrong, but it all works now. Everything went back on in the same place. It works, its tight, I didn't break anything I think I can deal with it for now. I'll replace the rings with adjustable ones here in a few weeks. Thanks for all the tips and such guys,and Desert Fox do you have a suggestion as to the brand of a lapping tool?

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

This one will work for you. http://www.midwayusa.../...&t=11082005I have both of these but I prefer this one.http://www.brownells.....GNMENT REAMERBut they're expensive and you have to be careful and not get carried away reamind.

Time waits for no one--

#18 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:55 PM

I got mine from my gunsmith. It's his own design. You attached it to a drill chuck and fire away. Not the push and pull type like Midway sells.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users