• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

Well, finally made it out today to test ammo to use in the buzzard zone only. Rest of the time I will use my "Good" lead bullets. lol I shot only 223 caliber rifles; My Rem VLS bolt action & my custom mini 14. The results are:FACTORY AMMO, tested only one; Black Hills Blue Box w/36gr Barnes bullet. VLS, consistantly averaged 1 3/8", 5 shot groups at 100 yards. The mini approx 2 1/4"... While both suck compared to the lead ammo used in these guns, they will do in a pinch for the buzzard range.HANDLOADS; Tested the 50 gr Barnes Grenades that averaged approx 2 1/4" groups. While this is awful, the 45gr TSX bullets did even worse at a whopping 7 1/2" group at 100 yds. Pretty unreal, eh?!To help relieve my frustration I just had to shoot a few groups with my original lead ammo. VLS put 5 shots in 1/2" with my favorite 50gr Nosler B.T. handlands & the mini shot 1 3/8" group with 5 shots & with the Factory Black Hills 50gr Vmax's. All historically normal size groups with these rifles & ammo. I seldom hunt the condor range anymore, but I have seen & called some of the best looking dogs in these areas & need to at least go back on occasion to check on them.So far I will use the factory Black Hills 36gr fodder in both rifles when in the buzzard area only. I wish I had other ammo to test such as Fed factory 43gr tnt. My hunch is they may work as well as the Black Hills. Next time!RegardsFrank

#2 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

Will let you have some of my 53gr TSX loads for your mini-14 when you head up that way Frank. Will see how those shoot for you.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hey, Darren, I know you would too and appreciate the offer. Glad you got them shooting well in your mini also.Take Care my Friend Frank

#4 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:42 PM

Good report frank. I play with the non-lead stuff in preperation for the future. None of it shoots compareable to lead in the 250. Most shoots real bad with the tnt stuff doing pretty good.The 243 however seems to like the 62 grain varmint grenades. Less than a Quarter inch @ 100yards. I think the tnt were 43 grains?

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

Yeah, Eric, I do believe the tnt's are 43 grainers also... plus I sorta like the heavier bullet... Hopefully I'll have some of those for next time out...Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users