9 replies to this topic

#1 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:21 AM

hey guys ive been reading about triggers to choose from so i can build my ar (which im closer to building, i sold my electric guitar today just so i can buy my AR parts :hellohello9il: ) ive been reading a lot about timney triggers and a lot of good reviews as all of you know. i looked through previews posts HERE and people have said good things about them. through further research i read about chip mccormick triggers. These also have been reviewed well by people and seem to be a very good deal as well. have you guys tried the chip trigger, i know timneys are good but if both are very similar i dont see why i should spend about 30-50 dollars more on a timney if chip makes similar quality triggersWHICH SHOULD I OPT FOR?im thinking on buying a stainless steel/heavy upper for long range/accuracy, i haven't set my mind on that but i'm leaning towards it.DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO MAKES GREAT COMPLETE UPPERS WITH STAINLESS TUBES? I KNOW RRA DOES AND STAG HAS ONLY THE MODEL 6 BUT I HAVEN'T FOUND OTHERS
Live Free or Die Hardxicanonaztlanca

#2 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:54 AM

On my AR I tried a Chip McCormick and it had too much creep for me. I like the Timney trigger much better.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#3 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:11 AM

I haven't tried the chip mccormick. But, if I was spending the $$, I would opt for the Timney. I have the cheapy yellow springs ($20) and that is good enough for me (my short barrel light weight rig). If I was building a rang/accuracy rig, I would 100% go with the Timney. I have had them on rifles before and Woodog has one on his AR (Identical to mine except for the trigger) and it is AWESOME! The Timney's just break like glass.As for nice uppers, besides RRA I have heard http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/ are really nice.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#4 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:20 AM

I've owned 2 Chip McCormick triggers, both with ease in installation and I've never messed with putting one in before and took me no more then 20 minutes the first time and second time 5 minutes. It ran me $194 delivered to my door from Cabelas. I throughly love my AR and how it handles with the new trigger, very smooth. Never tried or felt the Timney so I cant give any advice on them.
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

I've never had my finger on a Timney and ultimately went with my Chip McCormick because it was enclosed and easy to install with minimal tools. Are there better triggers than my Mc? Undoubtedly there are, but this trigger is a HUGE improvement over the RRA factory one AND it was easy to install.

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:36 PM

Not doubting the Mccormick at all (as I haven't had the pleasure of handling one) but I think the Timney is a self contained simple drop-in as well. I think the only way to know is try and get your hands on one or the other and FEEL for yourself. Is the McCormick a single stage or two stage?
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#7 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:47 PM

the mick is single stage. it seems like it is great also because it is a simple drop in trigger
Live Free or Die Hardxicanonaztlanca

#8 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

I really love the Timney. Very crisp, super quick reset..

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

Wanna, it's been awhile since I bought mine but I am pretty sure Chip makes them in single and double stage.

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:28 PM

Du, try reading through this thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=366464No deciding factor on THIS OR THAT IS THE BEST, just a lot of good hands on info so you can try and make your own decision. One thing of note is the Pin issue with Timneys. They have had issues in the past with the pins sliding out (Trigger Pins) but that is aleviated by the tensioning screws inside the OLL. You can also get screw type pins to ensure the pins don't slide out.You'll also notice at the end of the review, they mention the JP Springs as a recommended cheapy way to lighten your trigger. This is what I have and it works great for a field/hunting rig. Not the route you want to take when using lots of Military ammo (they have harder primers and the light springs may not be enough to puncture the primers) or if you are doing a Varmint/precision setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users