14 replies to this topic

#1 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:16 PM

where can i ride, i want to look for yotes and quail etc but not sure where i can go or what i can drive on. i know some places in the local mtn in s. cal but not sure in the desert. i have camped at rainbow basin by barstow for example. but not sure if i can even driver atv on dirt road does anyone know thx robert

#2 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:55 PM

Buy a BLM map and stay on the trails. Most of the state is off limits to ATV riders unless you are in posted areas allowing it's use but those areas are getting smaller every year. Most of the offroad areas that I've come in contact with either don't allow ATV use or don't allow hunting. Then there's the State Park boundaries. Most trails are mark but occasionally you might find yourself on Park grounds and get ticketed by the Park Rangers who love to chase ATV's. Anza Borrego State Park is a good example. It borders alot of BLM land and it's easy to find yourself on Park grounds. Best thing to do is leave the ATV at home and go scouting for the yotes and quails in a 4x4 (Jeep, Truck or SUV). At least you'll be legal in the Park trails! Good Luck!!!

#3 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

yikes, then why is it legal to buy a atv when u can ride them. will blm maps tell u where u can ride

#4 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:49 PM

I use the BLM maps to get the lay of the land-know where the "out of boundaries" are. They do show some of the major trails and washes and the legend shows what vehicles are allowed on which trails. Just follow the little brown stakes!There are still alot of areas in the deserts to ride that are legal for ATV's but you have to be careful not to stray into "private properties", "State Parks" and "out of boundary" areas. Most of the "out of boundary" areas that you will run into are areas that have been closed off for "endangered species or vegetation". More closures that the Greenies have instigated :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: .

#5 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

thx maybe i should just sale it?? its not even broke in like 7 hrs only. so, maybe i should put it up for sale. okay anyone want to buy a used quad. ill post pics hopefully tomorrow robert

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:44 AM

It sucks that we have to give up things like this. I used to have a quad about 8 years ago, but kept getting ran off and there was just less and less places to go. When I got into this Coyote thing, I looked into getting a Rhino or Ranger (the perfect vehicle for hunting). But after a bunch of research, it is HARD to find areas in California that allow both ATV's and Hunting. I decided to give up the ATV dream and just continue using my Jeep Cherokee. I'm thinking of miving up to a Tahoe or something bigger than my Jeep though, so I have a place to sleep if I get a chance to do some overnighters. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#7 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:28 PM

so, i should probably sell it. how much are the tickets well ill post that in another topic lol

#8 elkguys

elkguys

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy all outdoors and hunting with my son.enjoy meeting fellow outdoors people as we travel

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

you can go out by 29 palms and ride for days also there are lots of yotes to be shot there too!!! we have been riding and shooting there the last 10 years and have never seen a partol.

#9 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:26 PM

cool i want to try it next week with mike from this group. im new to hunting got my first deer in idaho last year hopefully i can get another one too. but, i havent called in a yote yet and i want to learn quail hunting too. i have all my licenses just need to do it. so u use your quads out there at 29 palms

#10 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

i wish i could afford a jeep, with smog and insurance that is why i went with a quad. plus, if u break the quad no hurry to get fix, dont need it to go to work lol.

#11 elkguys

elkguys

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy all outdoors and hunting with my son.enjoy meeting fellow outdoors people as we travel

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:58 PM

yes ther are miles and miles to ride there also try johnsons valley just stay off the base property they shot bigger guns :signgreatreport3kg:

#12 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

can u hunt in those areas though?? and ride atv thx for info

#13 elkguys

elkguys

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

yes you can you just have to stay off base and out of jashua tree national park

#14 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:08 PM

Again fellows, do your research, get maps or call the local authorities and be prepared. Nothing worse than getting to that "fun area" and then getting a ticket, or put in jail or worse, getting detained by military security personel who will hold you and your vehicle until they feel you're not a "threat to National Security". Fun times!!!

#15 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:59 PM

how much are the tickets i have to ask lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users