20 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

Is there a better (easier) way of cleaning primer pockets than to use one of these?Posted Image

#2 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:15 AM

How about skipping the brush and just using a primer pocket uniformer? If you're going to use the uniformer anyways, it does a good job of scraping out the crud.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:49 AM

I haven't used the primer pocket brushes in several years. The problem is you can remove brass and damage while cleaning the primer pocket, making correct depth seating a problem. I use the Sinclair 8000 Series Uniformers in small and large primer sizes. I also use them in a drill or drill press to speed the process. Primer pocket uniforming is a case preparation task that should be performed each time you reload. The Sinclair Primer Pocket Uniformers are designed to cut the depth of primer pockets to the correct SAMMI specification and also to clean the carbon out of the primer pocket after each firing.Posted Image

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:49 AM

Thanks, John. You've steered me in the right direction before so I am going to give it a try.

How about skipping the brush and just using a primer pocket uniformer? If you're going to use the uniformer anyways, it does a good job of scraping out the crud.

That makes excellent sense! Now why didn't I think of that!!

#5 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:11 PM

When I was shooting a lot of straight wall pistol ammo, I cleaned the cases with rice hulls in the cleaner. The sharp hard point of the rice hulls would clean the primer pockets pretty well. Don't try them with bottle neck cases though.A17Shooter

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,688 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

When I was shooting a lot of straight wall pistol ammo, I cleaned the cases with rice hulls in the cleaner. The sharp hard point of the rice hulls would clean the primer pockets pretty well. Don't try them with bottle neck cases though.A17Shooter

Because they get packed in the case and are a pain in the butt to remove. Right Gary ;)

Time waits for no one--

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

Well my package was supposed to be here today but it never came. I guess I will have to wait until Monday for the new tools and to set the trigger on my Remington.

#8 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:28 PM

Because they get packed in the case and are a pain in the butt to remove. Right Gary :P

Yeah, something like that. :lol: Gary

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:59 AM

My uniformer tool will be here today! Unfortunately I start classes again tonight so I wont likely have the free time to reload that I did this weekend.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,688 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:29 AM

Get your cordless drill battery charged up so it will be ready when the uniformer arrives. :)

Time waits for no one--

#11 goguns

goguns

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:19 AM

Is there a better (easier) way of cleaning primer pockets than to use one of these?

yes, go to http://www.championsbrand.com and purchase some Media Modifier C/PX or their new Ultra-60 anduse it in conjunction with their champion's grade media blends which is a combo of corn cob and walnut mediaUltra 60 will clean your brass including your primer pockets in less than an hour - you will think you just purchased new brass

#12 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:01 PM

I just placed an order, so we will see how it works. Thanks!

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:18 PM

My media and Media Modifier got here today. I will try it out on some 17 Remington brass on Sunday.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,688 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:25 PM

Mine got here too. I'm going to test it out this weekend in a new tumbler that's been sitting around waiting to get tested. Remember that media already has the modifier in it. At least mine does. :lol: :)

Time waits for no one--

#15 goguns

goguns

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:46 AM

your media is not treated1/2 the enclosed spoon should treat 3 pounds of media

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

I've got some sized brass in the tumbler right now with the new media and the compound that Goguns recommended. It's got a half hour to go before the one hour is up.

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,688 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

The clock is ticking! tick tock, tick tock. :( Did you use the correct amount of modifier with the media? A pound of brass to a pound of media. :angry:

Time waits for no one--

#18 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:35 PM

Nope. I only had about 30 or so of the 17 Remington cases that I hadn't already cleaned primer pockets on. 15 minutes to go.

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,688 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

Nope. I only had about 30 or so of the 17 Remington cases that I hadn't already cleaned primer pockets on. 15 minutes to go.

Not a fair test. Bogus bogus... :( Clean doesn't necessarily mean shiny in a primer pocket. Maybe I better close and lock this post before the clock runs out. :angry:

Time waits for no one--

#20 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:17 AM

I am actually pretty impressed at how much that brass was cleaned in an hour. With the condition that my brass was in when it went in the tumbler I was guessing it would have taken me 4-5 hours with my old media to have it looking good.

#21 goguns

goguns

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:31 PM

just got back from an IDPA match very interestingok, so I am biased (is t hat spelled right)I found with up to .223 size casesa pound of media to a pound of cases works greatthe more action the betternow a big tumbler such as dillon or a big lyman (mine just died)the mix will changeyou cant' clean 17 rems with a pound of media in one of those big tumblersi just cleaned 13 pounds of 9mm with 10 pounds of walnut/corn and ultra 60 in a dillon 2100ti did the job quicklybut with small tumbers like frankford the above ratio works very well17 rems will not create that niagra falls effectwhich is necessary to get the job done quicklyanother thing is, I assume that you clean the primer pockets each time your reloadbecause if you don't, that primer pocket is glazed with carbongoguns and out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users