23 replies to this topic

#1 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

After watching ehd's video I asked about the camera mount thinking this is much easier then hauling around a tripod.I got one and mounted it right on. Posted ImagePosted ImageI took it out for a test run today at the range. Not good...it turns out my hard drive camcorder is very recoil sensitive. I'm going to try a tape/camcorder next. Heck, I will just keep buying and returning them until I find one that works :roflmao3[1]: I put two shots through the shoot n see. Target is 100 yardsTest 1
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:20 PM

What type of camera is Eric using? Is that a 30mm tube?

#3 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

Is that a 30mm tube?

Yea, It's 30mm and Ernie said, it was his last one. Posted Image I swearIm sure he will make more Heath. Im just giving you a hard time

#4 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

I would say that didn't work too. How many cameras have you tried?

#5 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:32 PM

#6 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

Have you looked at the sports cameras from Oregon Scientific? Those are pretty cool. Thought about mounting one to the stabilizer on my bow...
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,955 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

Mark try and find a Canon HV10 like VarmintAir and I have. They're HD and mini tape.Oh and I told you Ernie had the mount. :hellohello9il:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:41 PM

It's funny you should write about the recoil. As soon as I saw your setup, my first thought was that there wasn't anything to catch the recoil shock. The person shooting the PCP guns doesn't have to worry about recoil. Cabela's sells a unit that mounts to the side of the stock. You could get it and adapt the recoil part to fit a scope mount if you have the tooling capacity. otherwise you are just going to screw up more cameras.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#9 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:35 AM

Has anybody tried this setup yet?http://www.deerridgeinnovations.com/If so, what are the reports?Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#10 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:23 AM

It's funny you should write about the recoil. As soon as I saw your setup, my first thought was that there wasn't anything to catch the recoil shock. The person shooting the PCP guns doesn't have to worry about recoil. Cabela's sells a unit that mounts to the side of the stack. You could get it and adapt the recoil part to fit a scope mount if you have the tooling capacity. otherwise you are just going to screw up more cameras.db

Ehd used a 22-250 which has more recoil then my 223 and his camera stayed focused.I did check out the mount from Cabelas, but it only comes fits 1" scope tubes.I'll check out the camera SJ mentioned and see what happens.

#11 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

:hellohello9il: Keep trying. I use to haul a tripod out with me too much gear.

#12 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:23 AM

Has anybody tried this setup yet?http://www.deerridgeinnovations.com/If so, what are the reports?Darren

Darren,This is the one that I mentioned Cabelas sells. I have one. It works but it takes a bit of getting use to since it sets out to the side instead of right on top.dbAttached File  1.jpg   26.17KB   5 downloads

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

Does it absorb recoil?

#14 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:30 AM

Ehd used a 22-250 which has more recoil then my 223 and his camera stayed focused.I did check out the mount from Cabelas, but it only comes fits 1" scope tubes.

Wrong one. The one I am referring to is the one above that isn't a scope mount. You could try to adapt it to fit on top. The setup Eric uses will probably work for a while depending upon the construction of the camera. But they aren't designed for someone taking a hammer to the all of the time. I would go for something to reduce the shock. I don't have the money they do to buy new cameras each time they break. :hellohello9il: db

#15 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:32 AM

Does it absorb recoil?

The base is mounted into a sliding sleeve that has two light-weight spring cushioners. One in front and the other aft.dbHeath,Here is a photograph I just took. I hope this makes it a bit easier to understand. It says a lot more than me trying to describe how it works.dbAttached File  gun_mount_slider_resize_final.jpg   93.56KB   43 downloads

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

How well does it work?

#17 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

Mine is a cannon powershot. only does three minute videos and then you need to hit the start button again. My problem is that even with high speed it takes quite a while to load onto you-tube /photobucket etc.. I need to compress the vids before sending them.. I have about 150 rounds thru my camera, about half with the .243. It is not the greatest quality but enough to get the idea. the best is to have a video person along.. My friend has been trying for a while with video cameras, has been having the same issues about the camera blanking out .

#18 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

I went to Cabels's web site and looked that mount up. However, I can't determine how it mounts to the rifle?
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#19 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

I went to Cabels's web site and looked that mount up. However, I can't determine how it mounts to the rifle?

Velcro strap on the arm. They have deliberately photographed it so you can't replicate the animal without seeing one in person.db

#20 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:05 PM

But they aren't designed for someone taking a hammer to the all of the time. I would go for something to reduce the shock. I don't have the money they do to buy new cameras each time they break. :hellohello9il: db

A hammer? Ehd is shooting 243 with his mount and his camera is still ticking. Mine is 223 or 204.I checked around on cameras that do video. There a tons of them a couple years old in the $30-$60 range and the length of the video is only limited to the size of your memory card.

#21 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

I bought an older Sony digital camera off e-bay for $40. I put my 8GB card in the camera and get a whopping 6 hours of video.Now for the real test. If you watch close you can see the camera shake/jolt 5 times. Thats me shooting :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: camera scope mount part 2

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,955 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

Told you it would work. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#23 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:37 PM

Very nice. Are you able to zoom in on the target?

#24 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

I have to zoom before I put the camera in video mode. What you see in the video is 3 times zoom. It's not the clearest video, but I think it will be decent for filming coyotes taking a dirt nap out to 100 yards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users