13 replies to this topic

#1 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

i want to build a AR for 800.00 what lower, upper, adjustable stock can i go with? I know there are millions of options on building an AR, but for 800 what would you recommend? i plan of hunting yotes, killing squirrels, and target practice at 350 yards?can you list the main parts i would need, i've never had one before but i shot an AR at the range today from a fellow member and i loved it. i was going to buy another bolt action but now im not sure i will
Live Free or Die Hardxicanonaztlanca

#2 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

Check out my pricelist from the Start to finish AR-15 thread that is pinned at the top:http://www.californi...d...ost&p=76413I paid just under $800 (without optics about 4 months ago). Not sure what prices are now.Also, I think you are pushing it at 350yds unless you have a longer, heavier barrel than my setup. You can build an AR in other calibers besides .223 to get you out 350 yds and further but that will cost you more.Welcome to the dark side!
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#3 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

ok the pics shows all the parts like small springs and other parts, will i have to put every single piece together or can i just buy the major parts and put them together instead of all the small parts in the pictures?

#4 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

I f you are wanting to build your own, yes you have to assemble. You may be able to get your dealer to do some of the assembly for you. You can also buy complete rifles, but that is usually more expensive.Check out ar15.com, they have step by step how-to sections.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#5 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:10 PM

ok the pics shows all the parts like small springs and other parts, will i have to put every single piece together or can i just buy the major parts and put them together instead of all the small parts in the pictures?

You can get assembled lowers from here:http://www.lanworldinc.com/Lower.htmYou should probably get a stripped lower and a LPK (lower parts kit) and do it yourself. It fun, it takes only about 15 minutes and if you need to fix something later you will know how.You should probably buy an assembled upper as the tools to put one together cost about the same as getting an assembled one. If you want to build your own try this...http://www.midwayusa...nstructions.pdfDavid

#6 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:42 PM

HEY PEOPLE IM LOOKING AT AR's BUT ALL COME WITH 30 RD MAGS. I KNOW THEY ARE ILLEGAL HERE IN CALI SO WHAT DO I LOOK FOR THEN. ONLY ONE I FOUND WITH 10RNDS WERE THE STAG VARMINT AR15

#7 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:55 AM

has anybody tried the timney AR15 drop in trigger? ive been researching all night (currently 2:40am) and i found the timney drop in trigger at cheaperthandirt.com for 249.99 i just finished reading a review on the trigger and the reviews on cheaperthandirt and all seems to say it is a good trigger. IF I buy the stag stripped sealed receiver should i buy this trigger or should i just buy lower receiver complete with kit installed?does stag sell the stripped sealed receiver with kit installed already?? i didnt see it on their website. also how is the trigger on those receivers that come with kit installed? any body know??

#8 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:06 AM

First off, I would suggest you go through some of the threads here in the AR section. It will answer a lot of your questions. Second, like I said before ar15.com is a GREAT place for all things AR. You may also want to checkout calguns.net. You are from California, but I'm not sure where. Check with your local dealerships, they may have them sitting there on the shelf. If you are close to Taft, 10percentfirearms sells complete California legal AR's. As far as Timney, in my opinion it is the BEST trigger you can get for your AR. $250!!! man those things are getting expensive. I ended up putting JP Enterprises YELLOW springs in my AR ($20) and that made the trigger better/lighter. If you end up getting a Timney, you WILL be over $1000 in a build and probably around $1400 or more for a complete store bought.Most guys buy there Stripped Lower, then the LPK (Lower Parts Kit) and put it together themselves. You will save $$ by doing your own build. Also, most guys (including me) buy there Upper complete (already assembled). Specialized tools are required to build an upper and you can get some nice ones from RRA and Stag.Again, please read through at least the "My AR Build Start to Finish". There is a lot of info in there already.

#9 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:23 AM

has anybody tried the timney AR15 drop in trigger? ive been researching all night (currently 2:40am) and i found the timney drop in trigger at cheaperthandirt.com for 249.99 i just finished reading a review on the trigger and the reviews on cheaperthandirt and all seems to say it is a good trigger.

Whether you buy a completed gun or build one from parts get a Timney trigger and you won't regret it. I have one in my Stag and two others in bolt guns and they are really nice. $250 seems a little high. Check out <www.tenpercentfirearms.com>. They also have a good stock of uppers which are getting very hard to find without waiting three months. I paid $190 for an AR Timney there a couple of months ago.Woodog
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#10 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:45 PM

Triggers are getting hard to come by but if your patient you can get one usually within a month, I purchased a Chip McCormick for only $194 from Cabelas and it dropped it with no removal of parts, unfortunately later that month teh hammer broke right in half so I sent it back to Cabelas and they replaced it imediately, anyways hope you are getting the info your looking for.Robbie
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:58 PM

If you shop around you can get it done, or even buy something used. Another great site is http://www.ar15armory.com

#12 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:42 PM

The one I used for my upper was ar15sales.com. They have some great prices.

#13 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

In my opinion if you have $250 dollars for a trigger you might as well upgrade from the Timney trigger to the Geissele High speed trigger. Cost you roughly $300. I love mine! :smiley_green_with_envy:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:30 PM

Those Geissele triggers are hard to find right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users