• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:15 AM

Bought a place in Kamiah Idaho a few years ago, been going up working and now want to try for salmon in the clearwater river about a mile from my place. I have never river fished for salmon so does any have any tips , tackle, lures , bait ?? there are some huge salmon and steelhead coming out of the area.going up for a week in Nov. suppost to be when the big ones come in... Thanks Dave

#2 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:56 AM

Here you go, this from my hunting buddy that lives in Idaho.. Hope this helps. He better check the fish and game regs for seasons, Steelhead will be the only thing open. He needs to drift salmon roe or shrimp off the bottom with a corky or use a weighted bobber. A lot depends on the river depth, speed, etc. I would suggest, to see what the locals are fishing with and check with the local sporting goods store. And whatever he does, remember most of Idaho is rural redneck country, don't let the locals know your from out of state. Play it cool and the locals might even tell you where to fish, what to use and when to go, etc....If he is fly fishing, he will need some weighted line to get to the bottom of the holes to probe with a streamer or salmon fly. Steelhead fishing is killer in the fall and winter, cold but fun! Salmon in Idaho run from April to July for general seasons. Best bet is always in a boat, but shore fishing can be done easily. Kamiah is way up North, great country.

#3 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

I second that rural redneck comment. A buddy of mine is from that area.I don't know much about the steelies, but don't forget about the sturgeon in the Snake River. I caught a 6 footer in Hell's Canyon.

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:43 PM

Horsepacker9... I will not tell you all my fishing secrets...... but I can SHOW you. :censored[1]: :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users