#1 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbiking, and Flying

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:16 AM

I'm thinking about painting my shotgun as a tryout before trying to paint my beloved AR. Here's my question. Exactly what kind of prep do you do to the metal and wood? I have a Rem 870 that I've owned for 21 years. Do I need to completely sand down the wood before spray painting flat paint onto it or just clean the wood and paint over it? Also I was thinking about what type of cleaning liquid I could use on the metal without starting the rusting process. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks,Doug :D

#2 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:10 AM

Meangreen, All I do is wipe everything off with rubbing alcohol and tape what I don't want painted and then spray away. I used the Krylon camo kit because it was convenient and it has lasted 3 years on my 17 Rem and 5 years on my 22-250. It does get wear marks from the gun rack though. The scattergun doesn't get used much but it has lasted 3 years also. They get the usual wear but a quick wipe off and spray and it looks just fine. Cheap and works. I find that with the camo I can get by with a little more movement than without the camoed gun. Off course I always sit a still as a rock until ol Canis latrans is in my lap.LOL, I wish...Walt

#3 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:46 AM

I use gunscrubber (it's what I have on hand) but I have used rubbing alcohol as well. You may want to lightly sand the wood to give the camo a bit more adhesion.

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

Like Walt said just clean them good no need to sand . alcohol ,paint thiner ,turpintine , gas :D they all work .But do not use paint thiner , turpintine or gas on plastic stocks :D they melt :crazy: :D :1087:

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

I hit everything with a greenie weenie or really fine steel wool to rough it up a little to give it something to stick onto. When I am all done I put on my medical exam gloves, hit the whole thing with brake clean and then wipe it down with a clean rag. Once it is dry the paint goes on.

#6 Mike in Reedley

Mike in Reedley

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

I take a little different approach. After painting numerous coyote rifles and shotguns, I've found that duck blind paint works best. It comes in three different colors (blk. grn. bro.) and is usually packaged with all three cans together. I take 2" wide masking tape and tear it into three long lengthwise pieces, with the center piece being the widest. The center piece will also have uneven edges from the tear and it is the only piece I use. Starting at the muzzle, I candycane the strip of tape down. If it runs out, I add another piece to it until I reach the buttstock.Now I'll tear another piece of masking tape into three long lengthwise pieces, but make the center piece narrower than the first. I take the narrower center piece and wind it the same way around the gun between the first piece of wider tape and sometimes overlap them. I also mask over anything I don't want painted like lenses, scope markings, safety dots, recoil pads etc.I hang the gun up on a string by the recoil pad screw on my patio and spray it down with a single color. I usually use brown on black/synthetic guns. Blued/wood stock guns I'll have first painted green or black. After the paint has dried and the tape removed I can add more paint by cutting a pasley shaped pattern in a thin piece of cardboard, hold the cardboard 2-3" away from the gun and feather addition paint on if needed. I have found it's best (looking) to only use two colors. With a synthetic stocked blued/black guns, that means only one color of spray paint.If you get nothing else of value from this, please consider these three points that I have learned from by mistake;1. Less is more. Don't get carried away with paint or your camo job will look crowded.2. Use duck blind paint. It's flat in color and wipes off easily with acetone. 3. No matter how much prep. or what type of paint you use, it's going to fade, rub or be scratched off. Coyotes don't care how fancy your paint job is. They only care that they can't see the glare from your gun. Good luck.

#7 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

:grgp6jh: :smiley-funny-post-sign: :roflmao3[1]: I would like to see some pics of how this turns out.

#8 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to try to paint it this weekend with some possible help from Mr. Camopaint. I'll post up pics after it dries.Doug

#9 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:58 PM

Camopaint took helped me take care of my project and it turned out bitchin'. Definitely brought some life back to the mean machine. Hopefully the pics come out.DougBefore and AfterAttached File  1.jpg   22.92KB   15 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   17.39KB   15 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   22.58KB   13 downloads

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

Looks great!

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

Looks great! Isn't amazing what a little paint can do.

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

Nice job guys.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

Very nice paint job guys. :huh:

#14 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

:huh: Have to paint my new Savage .223 when it get out of jail in 10 days.

#15 Stevieloco

Stevieloco

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:02 AM

Thats an awesome paintjob MeanGreen on your 870! p.s. your pool needs a little chlorine

#16 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:16 AM

:angry2: Have to paint my new Savage .223 when it get out of jail in 10 days.

How many rifles you got now?????? On the painting;. you can also take gras and fern leaves and hold them over where your painting for a really neat pattern :)

#17 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

ROFLMAO Ya well dont ever ask me to clean house...IM horrible at it.. would rather clean stalls all day..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users