12 replies to this topic

#1 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:59 PM

Hey everyone, I ordered up a Tikka T3 lite in .243 today to use for coyote hunting. Would this be a good scope to use on it? http://www.midwayusa...leitemid=371425I can get it for 184 with my C&R dealer discount. Or does anyone have other suggestions? Thanks,Russ

#2 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:02 AM

I have three Leupolds and they are great, but this is what I put on my Tikka T3 Lite in .243 and I am very happy with it.http://www.swfa.com/...iflescopes.aspx
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#3 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:23 AM

I put a Leupold VX-I 4-12X40 on my Sako 223 Ackley and on my CZ 204. I like them. They have the same FOV as the 3-9X40 and as my eyes are a little older I enjoy the added power but there's nothing wrong with the 3-9. VX-II has a little better light gathering quality but, of course, costs a bit more. I have a VX-II 4-12 on my Kimber 22-250 and like it a lot.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#4 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:33 AM

I think you can't go wrong with Leupold. Get down to 2nd Amendment or Valley and try to look through the VXi and the VXii. Look inside and see if they will let you take them outside. I think what Moe said is true about the difference between the two. Better light and positive clicks (audible) in adjustments. I don't think I have spent more than $130 on a scope, but then I am a cheap son of a ________. :rolleyes:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#5 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

... but then I am a cheap son of a ________.

oooh, New Contest?? :rolleyes:

#6 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:59 AM

For the 243 I would recommend the 4x12 also. You'll want the extra magnification if you shoot past 200 yards or so at small targets.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#7 Beretta

Beretta

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing and camping. <br />NRA lifetime member, Ducks<br />Unlimited member and 8 year <br />member of the River Ranch Hunt Club.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

I just bought my Leupold Vari XI 4x12x40 last week for my243 and I will let you know what I think once I go to the rangeto site it in. So far can see the clarity in this scope comparedto others I have looked through. With my old eyesite I can useall the help I can get.
"The genuine sportsman is, by all odds, the mostimportant factor in keeping the larger and more valuable creatures from total extinction." THEODORE ROOSEVELTNRA Lifetime Member/DU Member

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

I put a leupy 3-9x40 VXII on my tika lite 22-250. If it's going to be a deer/coyote rifle the 3-9 is all the power you'll ever need. If you're going to regularly shoot ground squirrels I'd get the 4-12 though. I've made honest 500+ yard shots with mine, but at 9 power I can't really spot motionless squirrels that far out. I have to wait for them to move, then I can pick them out and cross 'em up. At 400 and closer it's no problem spotting them.For some reason the 4-12 VXI on my 270wsm has a thinner duplex than my 3-9 VXII. The box said that it is a standard duplex but I think it's really a fine duplex. It's great for precision shooting but it can get hard to see in low light.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

oooh, New Contest?? :D

LOL ..... :D

#10 sum-rifle

sum-rifle

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:15 AM

VXI's are really good scopes.VXII's are better but cost more.I like the click adjustments on the VXII VXIII but I believe a VXI will serve you well.Not quite as good in low light however............
Hunt with your kids not for them.

#11 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:12 AM

I think you can't go wrong with Leupold. Get down to 2nd Amendment or Valley and try to look through the VXi and the VXii. Look inside and see if they will let you take them outside. I think what Moe said is true about the difference between the two. Better light and positive clicks (audible) in adjustments. I don't think I have spent more than $130 on a scope, but then I am a cheap son of a ________. :signs1242cn:

130??? Dang I didint think they made em that cheap LOL..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#12 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

I was going to say, I paid more than that for the bases and rings for my Model 70. :signs1242cn:
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#13 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

Leupold makes great scopes , no doubt, but I think the Burris Fullfield II is a better scope than the VX-I, for about the same money, I have both brands, but I really like the Ballistic plex reticle that Burris offers in the 3-9x40, it does work. My :roflmao3[1]: ,,,300wsm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users