7 replies to this topic

#1 kissacoyote

kissacoyote

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:47 AM

I bought a nice little Savage Thumb-hole in 22 mag a couple years ago for shooting gophers. I love the package, but after shooting and missing enough times, I ran a few shots through my Chrony. Five shot blasts more than explained the problem. There was over a 20 percent velocity spread in five shots, and this was supposedly "premium" ammo. I have heard that the 22 mag is the most inherently inaccurate round ever invented. I don't believe that. It is inaccurate because I can't get consistent ammo for it. Consistent ammo will produce consistent results. Is there a manufacturer out there that takes 22 mags seriously and produces a consistent round, for it? What's the story here? It's only a faster 22. Does someone make ammo for this rifle that isn't junk? I'd sure like to get some. It's either that or sell it.

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

I've used the Winchester in both FMJ and HP, standard not premium, with good results. I picked up some Hornady V-max but have not shot any yet. The CCI ammo did not seem to be as accurate, but I have not given this ammo a fair shot, no pun intended.I shoot a Ruger 77/22m, I have not chronographed any loads.

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:59 AM

I have a cz 452 in 22 mag . I tested it like I would with any .22lr . I bought pmc fmj & jhp , Winch hp & fmj , fed tnts and some 50grners . The gun liked the fed 33grn tnt the best . I can keep 10 shots at just over an inch @ 100yds . I used it for jack and gs. longest shot was about 120yds on a gs . Just bought the "green" mag ammo to see what it does in the gun .

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

I've seen tests that have proven the .22wmr to be just as accurate as any other rimfire when fired from quality guns. Most 22 mags have oversized chambers to ensure reliable feeding and that is the leading cause of their accuracy problems. My marlin used to be a tack driver but for some reason she just doesn't shoot that well anymore. I think the micro-groove rifleing might be getting a bit shallow. In its heyday it grouped the best with CCI 40 gr hollow points and PMC 40 gr Predator soft points. The winchesters shot pretty well too.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#5 kissacoyote

kissacoyote

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

I'll pick up a variety of ammo including the brands mentioned, and run some thru the chrony to see how they stack up for velocity: Then have fun with the rest on gs's. Something's gotta work. Thanx

#6 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:00 PM

I picked up some Hornady V-max but have not shot any yet.

This ammo is shooting pretty good, about 9/16" at 75yds. Hornady #83202, 30gr V-max.

#7 NVScouter

NVScouter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

Buy some of the HSM JHP(real JHP BTW!). The price is good and the ammo quality is top of the line. In my 7 3/4 blackhawk I was getting a 40 fps spread in veliocity. At 2000fps thats less then 3% variation.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:50 PM

Kissa, what ammo have you shot so far?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users