• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:47 AM

This started on a different post but now I'll try it here, does anybody have first hand info on wolf ammo damageing a ar, I have shot it with no problems in my mini 14 and a lesser amount in one on my ar's . I've have been using it for plinking for years, its cheap and great for the kids to burn, so is there any facts about damage or just internet rumors.. Thanks Dave

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:51 AM

My personal experience. No "damage".I was shooting a two-day, 1000 round rifle course with an Armalite Ar-15 in 223/5.56 and using Wolf ammo. The green laquer was coming off and depositing in the chamber. I started having problems with the bolt not going into full lockup which led to failure to fire. Because of the malfunction, the unfired cartridge needed to be extracted from the chamber. This was not accomplished with an IAD(immediate action drill). I did need to leave the range, to the tail-gate of the truck, where I was able to perform "repairs". A thorough cleaning of the chamber was needed. Large amounts of hot, gummy laquer were removed from the chamber.I did finish the course with no more malfunctions, but I frequently cleaned the chamber.If a case hesitates from leaving the chamber during the extraction cycle, the rim of the brass case may be torn off by the extractor. If the case is steel, like Wolf, then there may damage to the extractor itself.

#3 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:25 AM

Let me see if I can explain what the guys at Fulton Armory said to me. Regular brass gets warm and softens when the round is fired. Wolf ammo is made of steal and has no "give". It will break your extractor, just give it time.. In the past when we could have the cool black guns, I owned a few and I broke 2 extractors before finding out why. I would also shoot 2-3K rounds when I went out. It didnít happen every time but over time it WILL break from the stress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users