6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:27 AM

For the last several weeks I have ordered a baitcasting reel and 8 bags of Senko plastic worms to try in the Aquaduct. I learned the *whacky* way of fishing from my Son. I figured it could be just the right artifical bait to catch stripers. I went to my favorite spot near Taft, and the canel water is full of floating green pond scum. I tied on a lead head jig to run in the new reel first. After the first cast, my lure was packed full of this green pond slime. No fish in his right mind would ever hit a lure with that crapo on it. I made maybe 10 more cast to dial in my reel and then gathered my gear and came on home. What a major disapointment. I was so ready to catch fish and eat fresh stripper for a change.... but NOOOOOO!

#2 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,735 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:37 AM

If the water is not moving try some large minnows under a bobber.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#3 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

Good to hear you got out and tried it. I have not been for over a month. The water flow is down to like 30% of what it was last year. (or so I was told) There never seems to be any flow when I am there and to slow water really makes the plants grow out of control. I guess we can thank that little smelt up in sacramento for stopping the flow from the delta! :rolleyes:

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:20 PM

I would really like to just try the artifical lures really. I caught 27 one evening with a top water lure I painted myself. I use to fish bass tournaments and I caught lots of bass with my painted lures. I'll bet that *bobber and minnow* trick works real good. Closest minnow from here is probably 35 to 40 miles away in Bakersfield.Painting your own lures is like loading your own ammo, I guess. You get a lot of pleasure tricking the "suckers" with your own stuff.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

Some of you may be interested in this site:"Fishing The Southern California Aqueduct"Bill has some good info and about anyone can pickup some tips for fishing the aqueduct. Enjoy.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

best time to fish there is spring & early summer when the slim has not grown or fish by the dams where current is strong

#7 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

I was fishing just below one of those *dams/gates*and the water was moving very fast. So fast, you could actually hear the water roiling. My first few casts were into the boiling water area. Still the green moss all over the lure and up the line. My guess is the boiling water just broke up the floating pads of pond slime, but in fact, it is still there. The temps here have been 98 to 102 every day. To hot to hunt and to hot to fish. When it does cool down I will be more than ready. Of course, I could head to the beach and go for barbed surf perch. I just wish diesel price would go down some more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users