2 replies to this topic

#1 sendin

sendin

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

Just got a Mueller 4-16 x 50 illuminated mil dot and was going to put it on my 7mm Mag which has a so-so scope on it now. I thought I might be able to use it on a pig hunt, but it looks like I will not be using it for that in the near future. I have a new to me, used, Savage Mod 40 22 Hornet that has a 6-24 x 42 Tasco Mil Dot on it now and that is okay, but now I am thinking that I might like (and use) the Mueller on the Savage. I am on a coyote quest thee days. I have not checked out the ring situation thoroughly on either rifle yet.I did some reading last night about the 7mm Mag being used as a varmint gun. I used to reload for that rifle and came up with a good load for pig quite a few years ago. There are a couple of adjacent properties where a reach out rifle like the 7mm Mag could be used. Around my place the Savage would be the choice.So I am in a quandry now and I think the best solution would just be to get another Mueller and be very happy, but funding won't allow that now. I could put the Tasco on a 30-06 I have that needs a scope and be done with it.Anyway I am kicking this around and haven't settled on a good plan and I know ultimately it is just a matter of personal preference, but wanted to see if I was not taking something into consideration while I am deciding.Any suggestions?Thanks - Denny from Sebastopol, CA

#2 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:29 AM

Denny, put the scope on the hornet. The 4X low end will work better if you get close shots. And, close shots is what we hope for when calling.JMHO

#3 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

ditto that . i always start low for the screamers..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users