Photo

Anybody recommend a hand crank meat grinder?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:43 PM

I am looking for something around 40 dollars or so nothing to fancy but I would like it to also stuff sausage and maybe do 3 to 5 pounds at a time but I will probably be doing 1 to 2 pounds unless I get real lucky this season. :signgreatreport3kg:

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:53 PM

My advice?? get an electric one.. I got a hand crank one at walmart on a clearance rack for like 10.00.. I used it ONE time and now am going to get an electric before next elk season.. That hand crank thing is a POS and KILLS your arms....
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#3 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:05 AM

I use an attachment for my Kitchen Aid standing mixer. I have the sausage stuffer, too. Whenever I'm looking for this kind of stuff I go to Ebay or my local Goodwill store. This is the kind of thing people buy and then quickly tire of. I got mine for making goose sausage but never used it for that. We got tired of buying hamburger with gristle, arteries or pieces of bone in it so I often make my own hamburger.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:10 AM

I'm with Moe my wife has two of Kitchen Aid's biggest mixers and all of their attachments. It works great. But I do have a 60+ years old hand cranked model that can grind just about anything.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:35 PM

I picked up a hand crank job and added a pulley and a 1/4 or 1/2 horse electric motor. It's a home made job but we have ground as much as 40-50 pounds of meat with it between all my family members who hunt.Oh, and hand crank grinders are MURDER on your arm, wrist and hand.

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

Dont forget your shoulder and back too LOL..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:46 PM

Yea, that too. Not to mention I was 16-18 when I was running that hand crank and hated it then. There is no way I would even attempt to use one of those suckers today.

#8 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

I got my hand crank grinder from Tractor supply, alot cheaper than cabelas, as I recall. Its got a pulley wheel on it in case you're really handy and want to rig up a motor. I've used it a handful of times, just for about 10 Lbs at a time. Its work but who cares. I don't mind breaking a sweat once in awhile. My main problem has always been securing the beast to a clean work surface. My makeshift setup involves screwing it down to the backside of a wood cutting board then clamping the board onto the corner of the kitchen table. However, it moves around on me.My wife has the kitchenaid monster mixer that just sits there taking up space on the counter - I should get the grinder adaptor and sell you my hand crank for - you guessed it - $40!!! Its a win win! :roflmao3[1]:

#9 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

Well Guys I just bought an Electric Meat grinder...Aint she Purdy ;) http://www.northernt...970_36989_36989I also got this book for sausage making and made some Pork Sausicon Sec aka French Salami with the boar I got in Hawaii. It came out awesome!!! The second batch I over dried unfortunately =( Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curinghttp://www.amazon.co...3...4805&sr=8-1

#10 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

I have the Northern Tool one tha Bullseyeis showing. I grind roughly 60 lbs of chicken parts for my dogs every month. They do not reccomend putting bones through but it can take that kind of abuse. My 2 cents.

#11 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

Thats good to know! ;) I used another brand but I forgot what it was called. I wanted to try something a little different and I have heard great reviews about this grinder. Glad yours works great! I am excited about processing all my meat at home. The butchers I have met dont take direction well so I can prepare things just how I like it.

#12 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:06 PM

Ohhhh THat is good to know.. I still havent gotten an electric one.. Fact is I completely forgot LOL.. Im going to show that to my hubby..

#13 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

The brown truck arrives today so hopefully I will be grinding away on some meat soon!!! :1106: Now I need to fill my tag!

#14 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:03 PM

Did you say "hand crank meat grinder"?Attached File  Gatling_Gun.jpg   25.7KB   39 downloads

#15 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

:smiley-funny-post-sign:

#16 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:56 PM

Ya oughta see his Rec Room!!

#17 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

Well I made some chorizzo out of some wild pork,Venison and some sheep. I didnt add any fat so it was nice and lean and spicy just how I like it!!! I am really enjoying the grinder. I also put some Italian plums through it and boiled them down with some sugar made some decent marmalade. I learned that you should never use a wooden spoon when stirring marmalade. My plum Marmalade tastes great except for the hint of wooden spatula :signs165xk:

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

;) :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#19 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

Hey John You want some marmalade? :lol:

#20 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:50 AM

Last year we made a bunch of duck summer sausage. We used my old hand grinder and did about 20 lbs in two seperate batches. The hand grinder is a PIA and so is stuffing by hand.This weekend we made 30 lbs of venison summer sausage in one batch using the Kitchen Aid mixer with the meat grinder sausage stuffer attachments. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The Kitchen Aid is easy to clean up, much quicker, and no screwing around feeding a hand stuffer with a spoon or jumping on the handle to supply stuffing power and then leaving half the material in the stuffer.In the past we used to only grind once because of all the work it was. That left the sausage rather course. Now we grind three times and it really makes a superior product. Some things are just better off not done the old way.Dan
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

I have to agree with you Dan. They are fast and do a great job effortlessly.

Time waits for no one--

#22 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:54 PM

I don't know about cheap hand crank meat grinders, but my family is polish, and every year we make polish sausage in the traditional way using a hand crank meat grinder. It has never been as hard some people make it out to be. Of course, we are using a hand crank meat grinder that is at least 50 years old and is made of solid cast iron. This thing is tough. I cant speak about the cheap ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users