11 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

I usually do rosemary and garlic with mint jelly for lamb. But that gets boring. I have done Chili pepper oil and pineapple juice with salt pepper and garlic and that was good too but I am hoping for something different. Maybe teriyaki or something? I was hoping you guys might have some good ideas. Thanks.

#2 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:08 AM

I have had sheep cooked several ways, this recipe is one of my favorites. Sheep StewIngredients: 2lbs. sheep meat, cubed to 1 inch1 whole onion, quartered1 16oz. bag frozen lima beans1 16oz. bag frozen cut beans1/2lb. carrots, sliced2 potatoes, quartered1 medium red bell pepper1/2 teaspoon pepper2 tablespoon bacon drippingssalt to taste In a fry pan, brown sheep in bacon drippings. In a large kettle add contents of fry pan, potatoes, onion, carrots, red pepper, salt, and pepper. Cover with water and simmer for 30 minutes. Add lima beans and cut beans, simmer for another 30 minutes. Adjust consistency with flour or water, serve. Serve with macaroni & cheese, toasted French bread, and a green salad.

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:16 PM

Yoshida's ..... Its in the marinade steak section in a bottle.. You cant screw anything up with Yoshida's :) O
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:04 PM

Thanks guys and gals! I will have to try those ideas out.

#5 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:22 PM

Well I have a bunch of plantains that need to be cooked so I looked for a Jamaican jerk lamb recipe. I found this one on line and I messed with it a bit cause I didn't have all the spices. I will let you know how it tastes.Found on: http://www.sheepscre...cipes/jerk.html * 2 pounds lean lamb, (leg or loin) * 2-12 Scotch bonnet chiles, stemmed * 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped * 4 Shallots, or about a ¼ cup * 2 bunches of chives or scallions (trimmed and coarsely chopped) * 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh-parsley * 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped * 1 Tbs finely chopped ginger * 3 Tbs salt (to taste) * 2 tsp thyme, fresh or dried * 2 tsp ground all-spice * 1 tsp black pepper (fresh ground) * ½ tsp nutmeg (fresh grated) * ¼ tsp cinnamon (ground) * 1/8 tsp ground cloves * ¼ cup lime juice or vinegar * 3 Tbs soy sauce * 2 Tbs vegetable oil * 1 Tbs brown sugar * 2 Tbs water or as needed Combine the chiles, onion, shallots, chives, parsley, and garlic in a food processor and purée to a coarse paste. Work in the ginger, salt, thyme, allspice, black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, lime juice, soy sauce, vegetable oil, and brown sugar. Correct the seasoning, adding soy sauce or salt to taste. The mixture should be very flavorful. Add water to obtain a thick but pourable paste.Marinate the lamb in the jerk mixture for 3-4 hours, or overnight. Grill or broil to taste.The recipe makes about 1½ cups, enough jerk for about 2 pounds of Caribbean lamb. Refrigerated, the jerk seasoning should last for weeks, but it is better used sooner. Store in a glass jar with a non-reactive lid.Note: Wear gloves when handling chiles. If you want a milder jerk you can substitute jalepenos. Twelve Scotch bonnets will give you the full force Jamaican jerk. Grow into it if you are not adapted.

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

I was really happy with this recipe. I didn't follow the measurements I added things by eye and taste. It came out awesome!

#7 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

This week I used the marinade envelopes from the grocery store "envelope section" for some lamb chops that were on sale. I think it was zesty herb... Anyway, I kick it up with pepper flavored vinegar (available in asian stores) and I always let the marinade sit on the meat at least 1 day in the fridge. I'm not sure you can marinade ANYTHING in 30 minutes!

#8 yeager

yeager

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

Here is a recipe from South America, EcuadorGood Luck...Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks (Seco De Chivo)| 12 min | 10 min prepGreat with mashed potatoes or rice.SERVES 4 (change servings and units) Ingredients4 lamb shanks 1 tablespoon olive oil 24 ounces beer (or 12 ounces beer & 12 ounces water) 1 bunch fresh cilantro, washed well 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar (I use brown sugar Splenda) 1 large onion, chopped 3 medium tomatoes 2 tablespoons ketchup 1 carrot 1/2 stalk celery 1 garlic clove 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder Directions1Brown meat and onion in olive oil. Remove meat to slow cooker or heavy dutch oven. 2Place onion, tomatoes, cilantro, carrot, celery, garlic, brown sugar, ketchup, seasonings & beer in food processor. Process until everything is thick puree consistency. 3Pour beer mixture over the lamb and cook at low heat for 2-3 hours if stove-top. If you are using the oven, 325 degrees for 2-3 hours. If using a crockpot, cook on low for 4-6 hours, depending on size of the shanks.

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,738 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

Dang reading this made me hungry. Im on the lazy side salt, pepper and some seasoning salt stuff ,whats ever in the cabenet. and cook like beef. with a big bake potato with way tooo much butter.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#10 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:22 PM

Here is a recipe from South America, EcuadorGood Luck...Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks (Seco De Chivo)| 12 min | 10 min prepGreat with mashed potatoes or rice.SERVES 4 (change servings and units) Ingredients4 lamb shanks 1 tablespoon olive oil 24 ounces beer (or 12 ounces beer & 12 ounces water) 1 bunch fresh cilantro, washed well 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar (I use brown sugar Splenda) 1 large onion, chopped 3 medium tomatoes 2 tablespoons ketchup 1 carrot 1/2 stalk celery 1 garlic clove 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder Directions1Brown meat and onion in olive oil. Remove meat to slow cooker or heavy dutch oven. 2Place onion, tomatoes, cilantro, carrot, celery, garlic, brown sugar, ketchup, seasonings & beer in food processor. Process until everything is thick puree consistency. 3Pour beer mixture over the lamb and cook at low heat for 2-3 hours if stove-top. If you are using the oven, 325 degrees for 2-3 hours. If using a crockpot, cook on low for 4-6 hours, depending on size of the shanks.

That sounds great! I just made some last week using a different recipeI used Soy SauceLime JuiceVinegarAllspiceBrown sugarDiced onionsGarlicSesame OilSalt PepperOreganoI mix to taste then I added the meat once the consistency felt right. Let it marinade for 3 days and then cooked it with a pan. I would have rather BBQed it on some mesquite chips but I don't have a grill at the moment. That with cucumber salad and mashed potatoes. Tasted great!

#11 xyourlocaldjx

xyourlocaldjx

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:50 PM

I marinate mine 1/2 chicken stock 1/4 orange juice, 1/4 water over night. remove and pat dry, and let sit in fridge to dry.coat the chops with olive oil, pepper, rub with dill mustard and coat in panko crumbs. sear on the pan high heat with oil. then throw it in the oven.

#12 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:36 AM

Making me hungry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users